Dusting off my old GT-3

Started by Jim Williams, July 09, 2012, 10:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Recently I have been looking around for a guitar processor to pair with my GR-55 and I have bought and tried a few out. I then went into my closet full of old equipment and stumbled across my old GT-3. As I moved up the GT line of processors I forgot about this little gem. It is a very simple device with less options and parameters than it's predecessors but ya know it is still a great little device. When I bought this thing it was the big thing at the time. It had less amp models but the effects have pretty much stayed the same with the exception of some new ones. Now having fewer amp models are no big deal seeing how I don't use them all any way and I think the COSM amps in this thing have not changed all that much. The MS 1959 seems more Marshall sounding, being a blend of a few different MS amps and it doesn't have a R-fier model but the Metal drive model is close and the 5150 sounds so much better than the newer COSM versions. When I was gigging with this in the past I wasn't the patch making guru I am now and I have made some really great sounding patches in the past few days. It also is a great MIDI controller for the GR-55 plus I can use my FS-6 with it. It has the main effects that I miss in the GR-55, intelligent harmonizer,Humanizer and it is all chainable. There is no delay when you switch patches and with some of the control assign tricks I have learned lately my patches rival the ones I made for my GT-8 and GR-55. for a old piece of history it is still a valuable piece of gear and it will do nicely until I can get a GT-100. For now I am not using a hole lot of synth and I am considering setting up my guitars in different tunings and leaving the GR at home.... Na, just a thought.

I am not recommending that you buy a used GT-3 but keep in mind you old gear can turn into a new friend.

Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

gumbo

Kinda like how I feel about my trusty GT-5...   ;)

..still going strong after about 15 years...
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Jim Williams

Here is a sample I recorded using a GT-3 I think it sounds cool for such a dinosaur.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.