GR-55 - Marc Benigni's GR-55 TouchOSC Navigator for iPad

Started by MCK, February 17, 2011, 03:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCK

Ah what a multi-talented guy. Not only can he hack a GR55 and graft the Missing Link into it, not only can he program one mean GR55 template and make movies about it he is now also the proudest dad!!! It doesn't get any better than that! Congratulations!!! This is wonderful news. May your new baby have the best of health, happiness.

Oh and if sleep becomes a problem... Start whispering the GR55 midi codes in his ears... It works wonders on me!

HAMERMAN409

Congratulations!

You are starting an amazing new chapter. They grow up fast so enjoy it all. You will hear it over and over but that's because it's true! From the guy who has a daughter just starting college and another that's a freshman in high school; how the hell did that happen so fast.

mbenigni

Wow - I can't thank you guys enough for these warm replies. This site's been so informative and entertaining since I stumbled in looking for a deal on a GR55 earlier this year... but being able to share this news with you all is even better.

Mille grazie!!!  :)

mbenigni

Pushing into day 9 in the hospital if I'm counting right. Things have not gone as smoothly as we might have hoped, but I think we're nearly out of the woods. Baby girl is in excellent health. :)

Thanks again for your well wishes and congrats!

Hospital 101:  Never try to sleep in a chair when there's a perfectly good floor available.

MCK

Ouch. Sounds like a rough start. Hope all is well now. Best of health to baby girl and mom. Dad will have to survive some discomfort but let that be the worst experience you ever have to go through. All the best.

mbenigni

Yeah I've definitely had the easiest part in all of this. Watching mom persevere has been impressive in the extreme (and occasionally a little harrowing.)

I think we're coasting toward a Wednesday discharge - knock on wood.  Thanks again.

MCK

Our collective thoughts & prayers will be with you. All the best

mbenigni

Your prayers have been appreciated and helpful - mom is out of the woods, baby is still healthy.  All is well.   :)

That said, we are still in the hospital, pushing into day 12 with no clear end in sight.  Maybe at this point - instead of praying - we should be petitioning the governor for a pardon on our prison sentence!   ;)

I kid, I kid.  Very grateful, but I do miss my GR55!

Elantric

New IOS MIDI control app - TB MIDI Stuff -  looks promising - on sale for $2.99
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tb-midi-stuff/id480953919?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

QuoteCustomer Reviews
Excellent beginnings

by synthosaur

This app is really impressive. It's highly customizable, allows multiple CCs to be assigned to a single controller. This is what i've been waiting for. Being able to scroll through pages of controllers is awesome. There's a few tweaks I'd like to see in an update. The snap to center option for xy controls is great, but it would also be good to have an option to snap to default value instead. Keep up the good work!

mbenigni

QuoteNew IOS MIDI control app - TB MIDI Stuff -  looks promising - on sale for $2.99

Looks really nice - and what a deal - but no mention of SysEx in their product description.  (Almost a relief ... would hate to fall in love in with a new app right now, and have to transfer all this work into a new format.)

minouche

Big news, the Lemur is now on the App Store

Who wants to make another interface for the GR-55 ?  ::)

MCK

Quote from: minouche on December 07, 2011, 07:15:41 AM
Big news, the Lemur is now on the App Store

Who wants to make another interface for the GR-55 ?  ::)

Lemur on IOS!!! Great! Just checked with MissingLink folks and they confirmed compatibility of Missing Link with the Lemur. The fact that it brings scripting to the table along with visual interface building might mean we can close some of the gaps left in the TouchOSC template due to GR55's lack of bi-directional communication. Tempted!

bbob

Sorry.  I am clueless as to what we are talking about here.

Is the TouchOSC an iPad version of Gumtown's floorboard?

Is there a functional iPad ap available that will do GR-55 patch editiing or are we talking about the iPad sending midi control messages to the GR-55?

Thanks.

Bob

MCK

Hi Bob. See post #243 on this thread for some cool videos - https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3205.msg32112#msg32112

that MBeningni shot of his TouchOSC template. This is not an iPad version of the full blown GR55 Editor by Gumtown. Current tool limitations hold us back from going there. Still MBenigni's great work gives you a lot of editor like capability in a mobile package.

Hope this helps.

bbob

MCK

mbenigni

About those those videos...   ::)

Obviously I got sidetracked a little bit, but I will be trying to resume work on those within the next few days.  The two that are up now are really just introductions.  I've been making improvements day by day so there are already a few inaccuracies in what I had said back in October.  (Wow, October?)

Lemur app looks cool, but I'm still not clear on how or whether it could be used to read patch settings from the GR55.  Maybe gumtown can comment there, since he knows how to initiate a read sequence from a PC/Mac application.  In the meantime, I'm actually getting pretty comfortable with the limitations of a send-only tool.

MCK

I am really intrigued about Lemur. It has variables & strong scripting language. So hypothetically we should be able to query GR55 like gumtown does in the PC/Mac editor and assign returning data to variables, display them on the screen etc. Worst case if you can't query and get real time results you can keep track of changes you send down to the GR55 and mock status updates....

Price is steep though but I am tempted.

mbenigni

It does look really good, but the price gives pause.  If it were a guaranteed home run and I could predict the learning curve, $50 would be nothing.  However, ponying up $50 just to discover there is some miscellaneous limitation, or that development of an improved editor surface would take far more time than I'll ever have available (increasingly likely)... it's just enough to dissuade me.  It would help if they put a trial version - gimped somehow, maybe it closes every 10 minutes or something - up on the AppStore for free.

MCK

I caved and bought a copy. It looks a little complicated to get going and I did not have much time to play with it yet. Good thing is that the edits / changes you make on the Mac/PC are relayed real time on the iPad so you can see what you are doing with much ease. I think the scripting end is quite powerful but will take some time to get through.

mbenigni

Quotechanges you make on the Mac/PC are relayed real time on the iPad so you can see what you are doing with much ease

That's awesome.  Keep us posted on your progress!

teleholic

Hi mbenigni, great great work on the navigator! Are you aware of other ways to interface the iPad with the GR-55? Like say via USB into a Camera Connection kit? Thanks!

mbenigni

Thank you, teleholic!  To be honest, I'm kind of amazed more people haven't coughed up the change for a Missing Link and adopted this template.  I guess it's kind of a leap of faith for a solution with a few known limitations, but I have to tell you, it's an amazing tool to have in front of you during a rehearsal or performance.

Anyway, regarding your question about other devices - that seems to be the first question everybody asks me.  The answer to date has been "I don't know" because I didn't own any other interfaces.  However, I did recently purchase a Camera Connection Kit for my wife, so I'll try to make a point of testing ASAP.  (ASAP may be another week or so, but I'll do my best.)

If I had to hazard a guess, I don't really expect it to work.  I believe I read that the CC Kit will transmit MIDI but not OSC, and the latter is the only way TouchOSC (as of the current revision) will send SysEx messages.  But I'll let you know what I find. 

Does anyone else have any knowledge to share on the topic in the meantime?

MCK