Hi from Ontario

Started by g mccollum, May 26, 2016, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g mccollum

Just wanted to say hello and a bit of introduction. Hope that I'm doing this right as it's the first forum that I've signed up for. I'm a mandolin player as well as playing a bit  of guitar but have recently bought a Godin A8. I've been curious about the possibility of modifying the on board electronics in order to make it capable of being used with a guitar synth. I was thinking perhaps of  wiring to the existing piezo pickup outputs for a raw signal and then outputting that to an RMC Poly Drive II remote via the RMC 8 pin din jack system.  The idea was to leave the existing RMC EQ and preamp intact and sort of piggy back this onto the existing pickups.
I'm not sure whether this sounds a bit too hair brained an approach to take so anyone with experience with something similar to this I'd like to hear from.
I've been reading a lot of the posts regarding Piezo pickups and the issues with them work but I'm not sure that it would be better to try fitting a Roland GK pickup system onto a mandolin.
Anyway this forum seems to be home to a host of people with knowledge and expertise. That and an friendly lot to boot, so I'm glad to be here. Cheers !

Chumly

Welcome, I'm from Vancouver B.C. and I have too much gear and too little time!

If you want an acoustic/electric with synth access by Godin, you'd be well advised to buy an OEM one.  You could add an external GK pickup or an internal GK kit, and although it can be done, you may have installation and resonance issues spoiling your fun.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

g mccollum

Thanks Chumley ,
I originally thought that the A-8 was like a Multiac with the 13 pin output but found out later that that was not the case. The mandolin isn't offered as a synth ready instrument hence my interest in the modification. I imagine  that there may be issues with the paired strings and pickup separation with the GK, although the pairs are on the same centers as the strings on a Dreadnaught type guitar which the GK will work on. Hmm...  always a new adventure and too little time here too.
I have been considering contacting RMC as they would probably best be able to tell me whether it was possible.
BTW I used to live out in your neck of the woods and miss it.

Elantric

My swift method of determining if a Godin Instrument includes a 13 pin output is look at the frontal pic and observe the "flat" area near the output jack location

The Godin instruments with GK 13 pin output always have that flat appearance near the output jack

Read this thread for MIDI Mandoline info
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?78200-MIDI-from-Mandolin

g mccollum

Thanks Elantric and all for the quick responses.
I've been reading about the forum history and I guess I'm coming at it a bit backwards. I'm interested in the possibilities that the guitar synth products could provide but haven't yet dove into them as I'm still trying to figure out how I can best hook up the mandolin that I have to use the synth modules.  Your link to the Mandolin Cafe looks like it may provide some answers. Actually your thread about what the best playing methods, strings and issues with getting a clean signal from the pickups was great and makes me think that I may be on a better track to try to refit or build a 4 or 5 string mandolin as a dedicated synth instrument. Meanwhile I'll be taking in as much info as I can.
Thanks again for hosting this great site.

Kenmac

Welcome to the forum g mccollum. I'm from Toronto myself. Good luck with your mandolin and GK pickup. If you have any problems or issues, Elantric and other members of the forum will be able to help you out.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

alexmcginness

Greetings from Oakville.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.