GR-55 - Subprogramming the with Behringer FCB1010

Started by PD FX, November 24, 2012, 04:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD FX

In the video above just 1 program is used on the GR-55, to prove this I've used lots of delay and reverb. no additional equipment, just the GR-55 controlled bij FCB1010 plugged straight into my laptop..

If you own a GR-55 and a Behringer FCB1010, the creative use of the 8 assigns on the GR-55 can be used to switch between PCM sounds AND to switch the modelled guitars, all within 1 program, so there will be no gaps and the performance will be more fluid..
My demo program features 10 programmed stompswitches, consisting of 5 PCM switches and 5 COSM guitar switches.
Using another midicontroller will work likewise, the tricky part is organizing the assigns, and thats what I'm showing here mainly..
Visual feedback on the FCB1010 is impaired: only the last stomp will be highlighted. I personally have no big problems with that however. More expensive controllerboards do offer latched/unlatched switching features, but are way too expensive imho..

1) Prepare the GR-55 system

The GR-55 programchange RX (receive) must be switched to off. easiest way to ignore the default programchanges coming from the stomps, we're only using the CC's here..
                      edit -> System -> Midi/USB -> General   PC RX SWITCH off

2) Setup the FCB1010

The FBC1010 has to be setup like this, we're using 10 stomppedals in 1 bank, programming them witch CC's (CC's are  called CNT1 and CNT2 on the behringer, you only need to use one, so just programming CNT1 suffies..)
***Please look in the FCB1010 for learning how to program it, if you dont know allready!!**
Stomp 1: CC1,127       :switches PCM sound, the actual sound is programmed in GR-55 , assign 1
Stomp 2: CC2,127       :switches PCM sound, the actual sound is programmed in GR-55 , assign 2
Stomp 3: CC3,127       :switches PCM sound, the actual sound is programmed in GR-55 , assign 3
Stomp 4: CC4,127       :switches PCM sound, the actual sound is programmed in GR-55 , assign 4
Stomp 5: CC5,127       :switches PCM sound, the actual sound is programmed in GR-55 , assign 5
Stomp 6: CC30, 9        :switches to 335, using GR-55 assign 6
Stomp 7: CC30, 11      :switches to STEEL, using GR-55 assign 6
Stomp 8: CC30, 13      :switches to SITAR, using GR-55 assign 6
Stomp 9: CC30, 19      :switches to WAVE SYNTH, using GR-55 assign 6 
Stomp 10: CC30, 23    :switches to model BRASS, using GR-55 assign 6

3) Setup the GR-55

-Setup a program on the gr-55, using your amp of choice etc..
-make PCM1 sound active
Now make  the following assigns:
edit -> master -> assign -> 1
                   switch           on
                   target           PCM1 TONE NUMBER
                   target min     PCM1:118 Harmonica1      <-- enter YOUR favorite sounds here!
                   target max    PCM1:118 Harmonica1      <-- and: yes, enter them twice
                   source          CC1                                 <-- =react on Stomp 1
                   source mode MOMENT                          <-- this works, just try it.. ')
                   act range lo  0
                   act range hi  127   
edit -> master -> assign -> 2   --> like assign 1, but with different sound and source CC2
edit -> master -> assign -> 3  --> like assign 1, but with different sound and source CC3
edit -> master -> assign -> 4  --> like assign 1, but with different sound and source CC4
edit -> master -> assign -> 5  --> like assign 1, but with different sound and source CC5

So, now we've managed to have 5 different sounds on pedals 1 to 5, now lets add the COSM guitar switch..
Go to edit -> master -> assign -> 6 
                   switch         on
                   target         model tone number
                   target min   01 CLA-ST
                   target max  23 BRASS
                   source        CC30              -->Pedals 6 to 10 send this CC
                   act range lo 1                   --> these 2 entries make is possible to enter the tonenumber in
                   act range hi 23                 --> the FCB1010

Pfew! Now you should have a working selector for 5 synthsounds, and a selector for 5 COSM guitars.
-The COSM guitar can be edited individually, only the 12-string/tuning/string volume options are global
-The synth share same settings, thats the drawback.. using chromatic/legato off will sound most normal on most instruments..

Note1: The CTL,EXP,EXPON and EXP SWITCH are still free. Use them for getting a round performance.
Note2: Assign 7 and Assign 8 can be mapped to the volume pedals of the FCB 1010 if desired

Ok, that's it for now.. feel free to comment and share this information!

Mrchevy

Excellent video and instruction Guitarpolson, I have used some of these basic concepts with my GT10 as an additional controller for changing PCM tones mid song with no gaps also. Not as versatile as a dedicated foot controller, but gives me a few extra CTL options that the GR55 is in desperate need of. Thanks for posting.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Jetplane

When you say "program" on the GR55, do you mean "patch".? I just want to get the terminology right in my mind.

gumtown

Same "patch", yes..
As you may realise by now, there is a significant audio dropout when the GR-55 changes patch.
But parameters within the same patch, controlled by GR-55 internal pedals or external midi control, can be used with seamless continuity.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Jetplane on May 30, 2016, 05:36:43 PM
When you say "program" on the GR55, do you mean "patch".? I just want to get the terminology right in my mind.
Depending on the gear, "program," "patch," or "preset," may be used to indicate a set of saved parameters.

DreamTheory

What might entice me into FCB1010 land is the application of the foot pedals to PCM tone parameters like pitch bend, filters, resonance, and ADSR. How cool would it be to sweep a filter while playing, and be able to adjust other parameters with feet? I can do one function with GR-55's one pedal, but it would be cool to be able control several parameters, like twisting knobs on a Moog. I guess you can say that the keyboardist cannot play with two hands and twist knobs at the same time, so assigning the GK volume is sort of like that, but more foot pedals would be better. I also like to set up a synth lead that simulates a pitch wheel (footpedal) and vibrato wheel (CTL), and to have even more things set to go on the fly would be cool. Or to have variable control of vibrato rate.

So do FCB1010 footpedals work well with GR-55 for variable control of assigns? Can you assign both? to anything?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Elantric

Get bulk of that and more with VG-99 (with its 16 Control Assignments) + FC-300+several EV-5 Expression pedals