Fender-Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster question

Started by Bill Ruppert, January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

Well sure sure would nice to have some SOFTWARE updates (VG-99, GR-55) if they were so inclined. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

musicman65

$100 more for an extra fret? If it's a hundred a fret, shouldn't it be $2200?  ???   ;D

bd

paults

Quote from: musicman65 on January 25, 2012, 07:28:56 PM
$100 more for an extra fret? If it's a hundred a fret, shouldn't it be $2200?  ???   ;D

bd

You get one more number on your GK pickup, too - so, $50 for the fret, and $50 for that mystery feature that will use pin 9 someday   ;)

aliensporebomb

So nobody (except Roland) knows what pin 9 is for?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

MCK

So are we sure this is indeed GK3 electronics? The pickup does not seem to have the curve adjuster screw.

Elantric

Its the identical pickup as the old Roland Ready Strat.

Roland did say the internal electronics on GC-1 are now identical to GK-KIT-GT3.

QuoteSo nobody (except Roland) knows what pin 9 is for?

GK-3's unique Pin 9 functionality explained
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.msg35804#msg35804

datsunrobbie

I had the impression that the only difference in the versions of the GK-KIT was the pickup itself. All the rest of the parts appear to be the same in the two that I have installed. I have not opened up my RR strat to compare the GK components with the parts in the GK-KIT. I have a RR strat, a strat with a GK-KIT, a PRS with external GK-2a, and a strat with a GK-KIT3, and they all track very well after "tweaking" the setup of the guitar and the device they are driving (VG-8, GR-55, or VGA-7).

The G707/GR-700 requires a lot cleaner playing, but I broke it out last weekend and was happy to see that everything is still working. Anyone who has problems with tracking on a GK-2 or GK-3 equipped guitar really should try a GK-1 if they get a chance. The newer ones are not perfect, but they sure have come a long way since 1984  :D

mbenigni

Quote from:  Elantric on January 26, 2012, 11:32:54 PM
But with the GK-3, Roland introduced a new control voltage output, based upon the current position of the 3 way "Guitar/Mix/Synth[GK]" switch.
0.521V(+/-5%) : GUITAR position of GK-3 compatible
1.042V(+/-5%) : MIX position of GK-3 compatible
1.563V(+/-5%) : GK (Synth)  position of GK-3 compatible

GK-3's unique Pin 9 functionality explained
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.msg35804#msg35804

Interesting.  So I might be able to use the pin 9 output and something like a MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller, to send SysEx to the GR55 and use the the GK switch as a 3-way pickup selector switch?  Not sure I'd go to all the trouble, but it's an interesting thought.  I'd rather be able to measure impedance across the strat 5-way switch to the same effect, but I can't think of any simple way to wire this without giving up switching across the physical pickups.

Anyway, if the new RR strats are sufficiently reputable in terms of build quality and wood, I might just buy one.  Maybe I could sell my current RR toward the cost, or maybe just keep it as a backup.  It's sort of sad, but I REALLY do want that 22nd fret.  Last night, as an experiment, I bolted a Warmoth 24-fret neck onto my RR (had to deck the neck position pickup, and yes, it looks really cheesy), but I don't think it's going suit the guitar long-term.

paults

Its very possible that a future firmware update of the GR-55 could enable this 3-way switch to become another user control, and open up more control options.

This is pure conjecture, but maybe that's why the normal pickup signal isn't enabled by default in the GR-55. They didn't include a planned feature, but also didn't account for the omission in the default settings. 

In the long run, If the guitar/both/synth switch is destined to become some kind of "S3" on an eventual new model pickup, including the voltage function on the GK-3 since it has been released gives backwards compatibility when a new product is announced that takes advantage of the feature. 

mbenigni

Around the time I got my RR strat I found someone (perhaps the same person) on ebay selling a couple RR's with no necks as well.  They were mint otherwise, but it seemed sorta fishy so I passed.  Then I found a mint RR WITH neck for $100 less than he was asking!

Elantric

New Roland V-Guitar portal for all Roland Guitar Synths:
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/about.html

Roland invites all guitar and bass players to discover a new world of sound and creativity with our world-leading lineup of V-Guitars, including Stratocasters powered by Roland technology, GR-series guitar synthesizers, V-Guitar and V-Bass products, and GK-series pickups.

mbenigni

I wonder if Roland will ever get around to doing the GC-1 in arctic white.  There are still a few the old ones banging around the internet in white. Rosewood necks, though; I've always thought maple looked better on white strats.

paults

Put a 22 fret maple neck on a used white Roland Ready strat - if you get a used Fender neck, its a pretty painless procedure. 

mbenigni

Quote from: paults on February 08, 2012, 06:40:04 PM
Put a 22 fret maple neck on a used white Roland Ready strat - if you get a used Fender neck, its a pretty painless procedure.

Yeah, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a white one at the right price, especially now that the GC-1 might drive those prices down.  A Fender neck w/ decal would probably run $200-$250 on its own, which runs up the budget a bit.  But I could always swap the maple neck off the black GC1 I just ordered.  Anyway... just thinking out loud.  One guitar at a time, right?

musicman65

That's my approach too. I buy a used MiM RR Strat (Alder body on newer ones preferred) and swap to a 22 fret maple neck, Dimarzio Area 61, 67, 58 pups, and a Super-Vee locking trem. I also copper foil shield the entire control cavity. You can end up with a better guitar than Fender offers for less money. I strongly recommend this to anyone capable of the work.

My #1 is a White RR with mods. I am building #2. Its Black and will be otherwise identical.

bd

datsunrobbie

My Casio PG-380 has 5-pin midi out and a built-in synth. The tracking is pretty darn good. Best $75 guitar I ever picked up (from Sam Ash in Hew Haven, CT years ago).

Jay

Hi Guys,

I've just been down to the warehouse to check on the brand new V-guitars that have arrived today for our 2 new demo guys and for our AR guy to show some artists over the next couple of weeks! I think one of each may have to come home with me  ;D

Jay

Elantric

QuoteHi Guys,

I've just been down to the warehouse to check on the brand new V-guitars that have arrived today for our 2 new demo guys and for our AR guy to show some artists over the next couple of weeks! I think one of each may have to come home with me  ;D

Jay

Thanks for the report Jay!
Seems these are arriving in the UK before we see them in the USA.

Here in the states they report March 12, 2012 arrival

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ROL-GC1-LIST?SRC=D0806MCBHMSNCSHB&utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=feed&

Jay

Well I had to beg Japan for some early models.

I have been reminded many times that these are never to be for sold as they are not official production models, and if they end up on eBay I'll be in some serious trouble  :P

.... I'm hoping one will find it's way in to my house and forgotten about though

Bluesman

Has anyone been able to source/download a Owners/User Manual for the GC-1 yet? Can't seem to find anything on the Web.  ???
Robert Cray Fender Stratocaster - GK-3
Fender Stratocaster HH
Maton 225ac
Roland GR-55
Line6 Pod HD 500
Samson Auro D412A's Behringer B1800A's
Reason 6

mbenigni

AMS is now reporting 4/10 and zZounds is reporting 4/20.   :'(

Midiman57

datsunrobbie

The ONLY reason I bought the POD XT Live was to be able to edit sounds on my Variax 300. Now that I have the VG-99 the Variax and POD are on Craigslist looking for a buyer