VG-99 - Neither the 1.00 or 1.01 drivers will work with windows 7 64, Help plz

Started by coroner, November 30, 2011, 08:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coroner

Just got a new computer with windows 7 64 bit and both versions of drivers tell me that midi devices aren't setup when I open the editor.

Is there anyone out there successfully using the editor with windows 7 64bit? What could I be doing wrong? And yes I've read the previous threads.

I'm a full time professional player and only use the vg99 on theater gigs (so I don't have to make instrument changes to mandolin, acoustic, etc) I have a new show going into rehearsal on Jan 1st. If I can't get this resolved by then I have big problems. Any advice would be appreciated.

musicamex

i am having the same problem.  i can't find the editor or librarian anywhere for windows 7 of 32 or 64.  just xp and vista.  i have 2 windows 7 64 machines that i use currently and an trying to do a firmware update using a vista machine.  so far no success.  good luck and if you find anything please post it here.

musicamex

hi, i just got the editor to install using the links in this forum catagory under VG-99 Editor 1.01 - How To

however the librarian is nowhere to be found.  the download says it is for both but only editor seems to have loaded.

Elantric

#1 be sure you have VG-99 Firmware 1.04 - You must upgrade the firmware first.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.0

#2  - Be sure you have the VG-99 USB disconnected

#3  - Be sure you have REMOVED any prior Roland VG-99 USB  Driver. Review  the official Roland site's "Compatibility with with Windows(R) 7 64-bit Edition" status page here:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=information&p=VG-99&id=62223370

#4 - Download and install the VG-99 WIN7 64 USB Driver here:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=18211162
(READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS INSIDE THE ZIP FILE!

#5 - Download and install the VG-99 Editor/Librarian for Windows here: (It is universal for WinXP, Vista, WIN7)
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=1812339

6# Be sure to choose COMPLETE during the Installation procedure:

7# After installation, Be sure to look in your Programs area to find the VG-99 Librarian:

musicamex

i finally got both editor and librarian to install by completely removing it from the computer and reinstalling it.

elantic, isn't the first step in your post a catch 22?  don't you need the editor to install the 1.04 firmware update?

computer tech and operating systems seem to be advancing so fast that it must be a nightmare for satellite hardware companies to keep up with computer formats each time they come up with an improvement.

hopefully someday hopefully there will be either an ethernet port or wireless modem in some of the more expensive gear that will be able to search for and update hardware it is built into.

Elantric

elantic, isn't the first step in your post a catch 22?  don't you need the editor to install the 1.04 firmware update?

Officially - the VG-99 Editor is not required to install the Firmware update -
HOWEVER - Most people have a big hurdle just installing the VG-99 USB Driver, AND VERIFYING it works!

That is where the VG-99 Editor comes handy  - to test the success of the VG-99 USB Driver installation.

After verification of the VG-99 USB Driver installation - close the VG-99 Editor, and follow the Firmware update procedure using Roland's  SMF Player app here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.0

musicamex

you are a relentless  source of help and explanation elantric!!  without people like you and several other prolific members i am just beginning to recognize, allot of otherwise good gear would be on ebay.  this is a very exciting century for guitars.  my first electric was a montgomery wards strat knock off back in '62 and not much interested me in evolution of the guitar until the hexaphonic gear started to make waves.  now all of a sudden the growth is exponential.  without sites like this and future guitar now a busy person in the third world wouldn't stand a chance making sense of it all.  thanks to all who contribute and answer the same questions tirelessly.  this is how the world should work---

Elantric

Quoteyou are a relentless  source of help and explanation elantric!!  without people like you and several other prolific members i am just beginning to recognize, allot of otherwise good gear would be on ebay.  this is a very exciting century for guitars.  my first electric was a montgomery wards strat knock off back in '62 and not much interested me in evolution of the guitar until the hexaphonic gear started to make waves.  now all of a sudden the growth is exponential.  without sites like this and future guitar now a busy person in the third world wouldn't stand a chance making sense of it all.  thanks to all who contribute and answer the same questions tirelessly.  this is how the world should work---

You are welcome!

Tell your friends!

coroner

After following the instructions, with both 1.00 and 1.01 driver I'm still getting the 'setup midi devices' error.

I even tried aliensporebombs workaround using the ua-4fx workaround thats posted on another site. It wont let me install the ua4x driver unless i have one attached to my computer, how is that supposed to work?

For the money i paid for this unit I feel that Roland owes me more than this. I am going to go out of my way to let all the pros in Phoenix know to steer clear of Roland gear.

Elantric

You will want to use the native VG-99 Win7 64 driver Version 1.01 (which seems to be new at Roland US)
Download it here:
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=vg99_win7_x64_v101.zip

Unzip it and READ the complete VG-99 Win7 64 USB driver Installation Help instructions (see attached)

Elantric

QuoteAfter following the instructions, with both 1.00 and 1.01 driver I'm still getting the 'setup midi devices' error.

Where and when?

if this occurs when you launch the the VG-99 Editor - you must configure the MIDI devices in the VG-99 Editor.

Read the VG-99 Editor Help instructions inside the VG-99 Editor  / Librarian zip file

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99&id=1812339

==

"2. Connections and Settings

Following the instructions in the VG-99 Owner's Manual, install the driver.

Following the instructions in the VG-99 Owner's Manual, connect the VG-99 and your computer. You cannot run VG-99 Editor if the VG-99 and the computer are not properly connected.

Turn on the power to the VG-99, then start up VG-99 Editor.

If you are using a USB connection and running VG-99 Editor for the first time, be sure to select "Set Up MIDI Devices..." from the "Setup" menu to open the dialog, then select "Roland VG-99 CONTROL" for "VG-99 Input/Output."
        If connecting through means other than USB, specify the port connected to the VG-99.

For "Device ID," select the same number as the "DEVICE ID" parameter on the VG-99 (SYSTEM -> MIDI -> DEVICE ID).

* Do not disconnect the USB cable connecting the VG-99 while VG-99 Editor is running.
        * If the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected while the VG-99 is in use, or if the power of the VG-99 is turned off, then on again, it may stop operating correctly. If this occurs, after resuming, you should exit all applications that use the VG-99, and turn the power of the VG-99 off, then on again. "

coroner

After following your instructions and continually getting the same outcome I just setup an old computer in the other room that runs vista 32, worked on the first try. Those drivers actually work...thanks Roland, I'll be giving you the same support that you've given me....

Elantric