FTP stage lighting interference

Started by musicamex, April 21, 2015, 08:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicamex

Of the 2 FTP units that just arrived here one is working and was tried on stage on a custom strat like guitar i built several years ago.  The FTP was being used with a mac.  My friend mentioned thai it picked up interference from the led stage lighting.  Has anyone else had a similar issue?  95% of the gigs here will have stage lighting on the same circuit as the band.  I wasn't there but my friend said the interference level increased with proximity to the light bar, but i wasn't sure if he meant the usb dongle or the guitar.  This info came during a break at a gig where he was playing an acoustic guitar so the conversation was short.

Any tips would be helpful.  His english is no muy bueno, so I'm trying to help him.  I taught him to play 15 years ago and suggested we both get the FTP so we could learn, experiment and jam together.  He's one of about a dozen i call my nietos, and that call me 'buelo.  I hope the FTP works, at least for one of us.

So far im the only one around PV that has experimented with synth guitar.  One other tried it back in VG8 days but couldn't handle the latency.  I always said 64th notes are like hard stuff.  Once you start it's hard to quit.  And he was a shredder.  Pretty good musician but the old gk pups /gk 8 were more than confused by his speed, hammers ons and pull offs.

PLEASE FTP, BE THE ANSWER MANY OF US HAVE BEEN HOPING FOR.

shawnb

When you say the FTP picked up interference, what does that mean?  It transmitted wrong notes?   

You won't hear interference picked up by the FTP, because it xmits MIDI notes, not an audio signal.

I think it's more likely that the lighting interference was with the magnetic pickups, especially if they are single-coil ("strat-like").  Single-coil pickups are notorious for picking up stray signals, such as lighting.   If that guitar is wired like an SSS strat (i.e., three single coil pickups), with a 5-way switch, then check to see if the noise is encountered on switch settings 2 & 4... 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp