GT100 - Dual Signal path question

Started by Graham G, October 22, 2014, 03:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham G

Hi,i'm in the process of buying a GT100(& probably a GP10/GK3)i have used 2 amplifiers for playing live for years & have been advised on the forum that the GT100 can be set up with  Dual Signal paths,my question is:
When using 2 amp models can they be set up to feed into 2 amps(1L & 1R)or are they always both present on each output(L/R),hope i'm explaining this clearly :).
I went to my local Dealer yesterday & the sales guy said the Amp models couldn't be split L/R,so i thought i'd check on the forum.
Also does the GT100 benefit from being run into a FR speaker system rather than a Guitar amp(as in the case of the GR55).
Cheers,Graham.

supernicd

You should be able to output the A and B signal paths to L & R outputs respectively.  Check out the mixer L/R PAN mode, manual page 28.

Advantages of FRFR really depend on how you're going to use it.  Do you like the sound of your guitar amps and mainly plan to use the GT-100 for FX?  Or are you planning to use the amp models in the GT-100?  If the latter, then FRFR could give you some advantages in that you won't be coloring their sound with your amp's preamp and power amp characteristics.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Graham G

SuperNiCd,thanks for the reply,i downloaded the Manual & thanks,it can be done,i'm surprised the Sales Guy(who was demoing the GT to another customer)didn't know this ;D.
I'm really new to this technology & after reading this section of the Manual i'm beginning to see that i need to question my way of wanting to use these products,(i,e.just because i've been sending my Guitar signal to 2 different amps & mixing the levels with a simple turn of a knob)dosn't mean it's the best way to use Dual amps with the GT,i think i'm right that i'm putting the output into dual mono instead of stereo,if so am i correct in thinking this will also put any Stereo effects in the signal paths into Mono operation?,although i'm not an effects user(i've always used the Guitar dry)if i'm going down the route of a GT100,i might as well get used to using/setting up effects as well,some of the sample patches i've been listening to sound amazingly good :).
Which leads me to another question,on page 28(in the Mixer Section)it refers to "MIXER" &  "STEREO",it also refers to "DIVIDER & DUAL".
In the context of this section are MIXER/DIVIDER & STEREO/DUAL,the same thing?,if so & i'm reading this section correctly,that would mean i would have to use "CH balance" to adjust the Volumes of Channels A/B,could this be done with an assign to a Volume/Exp Pedal & be adjustable in a live situation,or would i have to set the levels via programming? .
i'm sorry if these questions are at a real Dummy level,but that's where i'm at right now :)

In terms of my Guitar amps,they're getting old & need replacing & because they're Roland modelling Amps,this has sent me down the path of the GT100 etc.
So in answer to the question,i want to buy/use whichever amplification will get the best out of the GT100,which would appear to be a FR monitor system of some sort,is this correct?.
Cheers,Graham.

Quote from:  link=topic=12648.msg91946#msg91946 date=1413980944
You should be able to output the A and B signal paths to L & R outputs respectively.  Check out the mixer L/R PAN mode, manual page 28.

Advantages of FRFR really depend on how you're going to use it.  Do you like the sound of your guitar amps and mainly plan to use the GT-100 for FX?  Or are you planning to use the amp models in the GT-100?  If the latter, then FRFR could give you some advantages in that you won't be coloring their sound with your amp's preamp and power amp characteristics.

Elantric

QuoteIn terms of my Guitar amps,they're getting old & need replacing & because they're Roland modelling Amps

Which specific ones do you own?

Graham G

I own 3 Cube 60 cosm amps(1 fully working & 2 with intermittent faults)the fully working one is 5yrs. old the Faulty ones about 7yrs.I have also just bought a NOS Cube 80XL(which as you may know from another thread i'm not happy with).

Quote from: Elantric on October 22, 2014, 09:09:44 AM
Which specific ones do you own?

Elantric

Quote.I have also just bought a NOS Cube 80XL

Try feeding the headphone output of GT-100 ( or GR-55, GP-10) into the rear Aux input of Cube 80XL  - it uses a 3.5mm TRS stereo cable

on far right here:

or

Feed the Left mono out from GT-100 ( or GR-55, GP-10) into the top "Guitar input" but use the "JC Clean" (JC120) preamp  and use the Equalizer tone controls to taste- (skip  Cube 80XL Lead channel onboard COSM modeling DSP section.

The JC Clean setting provides an all analog signal path with most headroom - no A/D or DSP involved on the Cube 80XL JC Clean channel ( same as older Cube 60 too)   

This is how Roland demonstrates the GT-100 at Trade shows - feeding the clean channel on Cube80XL

supernicd

I have a Cube 80XL and it is my main gigging amp at this point (picked one up per Elantric's recommendation - zero regrets).  I don't use its internal COSM sounds at all, though it's nice to know they are there in a pinch.  For me it really shines when connected up to a Roland VG-99 (or GR-55 or Boss GT-100) through it's stereo aux in jack or even through the guitar in jack on the JC-120 model.

FWIW, I feel roughly the same as you - not crazy about the COSM amp models on the Cube 80XL.  I am not sure why but something just sounds a little off to me on some models.  I think some of the clean sounds are really good but I'm not as happy as the gain increases.  They just sound a little boxy to me or something.  Connected up to one of the devices above though, the equation changes dramatically.  It is a fantastic amp for bringing them to life.  I'd definitely recommend trying one or more Cubes with the GT-100 in the way Elantric describes before you buy anything else.

Will try to answer some of your other questions later if no one beats me to it.  I haven't used the GT-100 that much with a stereo set up.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Graham G

Guys,thanks for the interest,just a bit of background into how i ended up deciding to buy(though not 'till later this week)a GT100.
I by chance watched a Roland demo on you tube of the GP10/GK3,to me it sounded the dogs,considering the guitar player wasn't up to much,his name was Alex Hutchings ;D.
So i posted on the Forum asking a couple of questions about the GP10 & asked about Dual Models,a member advised me to look at the GT100 so i have.
By coincidence a friend asked me to try out his GR55/GK3,which he couldn't get working in any meaningfull way,i had the same problems,so i read as much as i could stand in the Forum & got it working to the point where i thought i'd try it at our rehearsal room.
This is just for general info,but what i found was with very little effort the GR55/GK3(with on 1 amp model not Dual)started giving my 2 Cube 60's(COSM Channels)a good run for their money,this might not sound like a big deal but i've used the Cubes for about 7yrs.done hundreds of gigs with them & only ever had positive comments about the sound,unfortunately not the playing :)
I tried the GR into the Cubes L & R output into the Clean Ch.sounded really good,i then tried the GR L/R into my ADA Tube 100 power Amp,using the Cubes Speakers,lost quite a lot of everything,just didn't sound convincing,then i tried the GR L/R into a pair of Mackie SRM450V2's,possibly slightly better detail than the cubes but a bit "uncomfortable" would probably need a fair bit of tweaking to be totally better than the cubes.
No point to these ramblings,just my results/opinions,but the performance of the GR has convinced me,i can make a GT100 work for me.
I'm old enough not to care if the Roland Modelling dosen't sound as good as this or that valve amp(i've had a good selection of top amps over the years)I just think i can get a good sound out of it & at the same time giving me more options/flexibility than i've ever had in over 50 years of playing live.
Once again thanks to the Forum members for helping me to this decision,it's not very often i get excited nowadays ;D
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

Thanks for sharing your observations.

As a Roland product user since 1978, ( with a stint as a Roland Service manager ), I can report that Roland's COSM Modeling technology since its debut in 1995 is always a moving target and with each new year and new DSP advances, we all benefit with higher detailed modeling on the latest products. The 2014 "Rev 2" GT-100, GT-001, and GP-10 reflect the very latest version of Roland's COSM Modeling technology.

I think Roland would sell more products if they dropped the misunderstood "COSM" label, and instead simply call this "DSP" processing - which is what "COSM"  really has been all along, and continues to be.

http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_group/article.php?ArticleId=1319
Moving Forward
After the VG-8, COSM became the leading technology in BOSS and Roland guitar products. This continues to this day, and COSM is continually being developed and refined to expand its potential. In particular, COSM amplifier and speaker modeling is an essential part of an enormous range of past and present products, from BOSS GT- and ME-series guitar effects processors to BR recorders to Roland's CUBE amps. Among the biggest benefits of modeling is the ability to record great guitar sounds direct, without having to hassle with mic'ing up an amp and dealing with loud volumes. This is something that us guitarists take for granted these days—but it all started with COSM!

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on October 22, 2014, 10:23:53 AM

Try feeding the headphone output of GT-100 ( or GR-55, GP-10) into the rear Aux input of Cube 80XL  - it uses a 3.5mm TRS stereo cable

Elantric.I'm assuming that when using the 3.5mm connection,the gain & the e.q. of the pre-amp of the 80XL are by-passed,obviously desirable in terms of the signal being less coloured,but is there enough gain/output level from the GT100 to play at live gigs(pubs)levels?.
Can the L/R outputs from the GT100 be used in tandem with the Aux 3.5 out?(to take the signal to the Desk).
Also an update on my comments on the COSM sound from the 80XL compared the the 60,i have now used the 80,in a Band practice situation,& while i still feel the COSM on the 80 sounds more damped/dull(SuperNiCd had a good term in "boxy")i was more than happy with the results when using the 80 & 60 together,but i'm still a bit bothered that when my last 60 expires,a second 80XL may come up a little short,but having said that, i'm now seeing that you are quite correct in the extra quality of the models,the sound is more focused & coherent.
I hadn't realised the 80's had a slightly bigger cabinet than the 60's,could it be this dullness/boxiness i'm hearing,is a result of speaker cabinet tuning?.
I have been trying to find the differences in the Cube 80X & the 80XL,looking at the specs on the Roland web-site,i can't detect any differece(except for the panel colour :),i thought the 'L" might denote the bit larger cabinet,but the "X"is the same dimensions.
Once again thanks for your knowledge on the products & i'm sorry if i'm going on a bit,it seems the older i get the worse i get ;D
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

Elantric.I'm assuming that when using the 3.5mm connection,the gain & the e.q. of the pre-amp of the 80XL are by-passed,obviously desirable in terms of the signal being less coloured,but is there enough gain/output level from the GT100 to play at live gigs(pubs)levels?.

Correct  - refer to the Cube-80XL's Signal Flow Block Diagram
Observe the "Aux In" feeds directly to the power amp

In this situation the Cube-80XL is my on stage monitor, set the tone and stage volume using the controls on the GT-100/GR-55/GP-10 and often due to the logistics of the venue and FOH PA  - the Cube-80 is often just close miced into the PA with SM-57 

QuoteCan the L/R outputs from the GT100 be used in tandem with the Aux 3.5 out?(to take the signal to the Desk).

Sure -many feed GT-100 Main Outputs into a D/I Box then to PA , while the GT-100 Headphone Out feeds the rear Aux Input on Cube 80 XL ( for a stage monitor)

To get the Cube-80XL the loudest SPL, use the Mono Left out from the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10 and feed the  "top" Guitar Input on Cube-80XL and set to the Channel select to "JC Clean" channel and leave it there.   I set the Cube-80XL's JC Clean Volume at 10:00 o'clock, and set the EQ all at 12"00 o'clock (flat) as a starting point then use the Output Level control on the GT-100/GR-55/VG-99/GP-10  to set the volume, and use minor EQ adjust on the Cube-80XL to suit the room     

QuoteI hadn't realised the 80's had a slightly bigger cabinet than the 60's,could it be this dullness/boxiness i'm hearing,is a result of speaker cabinet tuning?.

The Cube-80XL does have a larger cabinet (compared to Cube 60)   and is a darker sounding amp

(click here for details)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1122

I often set the Cube-80XL's Bass control to "cut" ( 9:00 o'clock position)

Compared to Cube-60, The Cube-80XL's Tone controls work very different  -these are true cut / boost EQ controls , while the Tone controls on the older Cube 60 change depending on the currently selected  COSM Lead channel, in an attempt to model the ToneStack of the currently selected COSM amp type.

QuoteI have been trying to find the differences in the Cube 80X & the 80XL,l

Download the manuals and compare Cube-80X to Cube-80XL - very minor differences

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Roland_Cube_80X_Amp_Review
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/CUBE-80X_OM.pdf

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/roland-introduces-new-cube-xl-guitar-amplifiers-275082
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/CUBE-40_80XL_OM.pdf

The Cube-80X was a short lived amp ( 2007-2009)  - shared the identical JC Clean channel  - all functions described above also apply to the Cube-80X (Cube80X has a different looper external switch on/off scheme and one less COSM Amp Model compared to 2009-2013 Cube-80XL( which adds the "Extreme" Amp Model, and "Heavy Octave" effect, and separate Solo setting for the JC Clean Amp) Cube-80XL also adds a dedicated separate  "Tap Tempo" switch, instead of the single Tap/Rec/Play/Dub switch on Cube-80X

Both are now discontinued - replaced by Cube 80GX, which due to the elimination of key features, I have no interest in

New 2013 Roland Cube GX Amps (Compare to old Cube 80 XL)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8931.msg64120#msg64120

I actually own one Cube80XL ( my main amp) and one Cube 80X ( for stereo)

Purchased each as "scratch & dent" on Ebay under $300 each. I think I only paid $225 for the 2008 Cube-80X   

QuoteI've read that the Cube 80x is the equal of the Cube 60 but the tone controls work differently from what Cube 60 owners are used to. Start with the tone controls at zero and then turn the tone controls up little by little until you get the tones you're looking for - they're all there. You just have to find them again. Also, it's been noted by some that the Cube 60 speaker cab is ported for more bass and the Cube 80x is not ported so that the speaker doesn't blow as easily. I don't know if that's true or not, but if you want the Cube 80x cab ported just get out a 1' drill bit and put two ports in the front baffle of the cabinet to match the ports in the Cube 60. I've heard that this adds bass, although it the speaker excursion increases which drops the power handling ability of the speaker some. I've read that the same speaker is used in the 60 and the 80x.

Graham G

Elantric,once again many thanks.Do you mind a couple more questions :).
When you run 2 amps,do you use the Aux out(from GT100)& split to mono 3.5 jack,in each amp.or do you run L/R out from GT100,into Guitar in on the Cubes.
Thanks for the link to the Manuals,but i'm seeing the same no.of models(10)on the X & XL,is this correct,?
Are the models improved from the X to the XL?
I had such good results running the Cube 60 & 80XL together at practice today(i bought the XL with a FS6),which for me makes it VERY usable,i'm now starting to second guess if i need the GT100,but as well as being pain in the **** mitherer,im also a pain in the **** ditherer,but i always get there in the end ;D
Once again i really appreciate your knowledge & help,i would offer to buy you a couple of drinks,but i think the chances of our paths crossing are remote at best.
Regards,Graham.

Elantric

QuoteWhen you run 2 amps,do you use the Aux out(from GT100)& split to mono 3.5 jack,in each amp.or do you run L/R out from GT100,into Guitar in on the Cubes.

Ive used both methods ( via Headphone out using custom 3.5mm TRS Y cord to rear Aux Input on Cube-80XL) - but  prefer to set the GT-100/GR-55/GP-10 Output mode to "Line/Phone" and feed the main 1/4" Outputs on GT-100/GR-55/GP-10 straight into the Top Guitar 1/4" input on Cube-80XL- with both Cube-80XL's set on "JC Clean" channel, Clean Volume at 10:00 o'clock - use top EQ controls on Cube-80XL to tweak for the room acoustics.

The beauty of the Cube-80XL over a Cube 60 is that rear Aux In can save the day when you have to have a small minimal gear stage footprint and fast setup/teardown at festival gigs.

I often play normal guitar ( using typical stomp FX) and feed the Cube-80XL's Top Input and use the Cube-80XL's COSM modeling for solos using a remote footswitch )

+ amplify the GR-55 PCM Synth patches by feeding GR-55 Headphone out into rear Aux In on Cube -80XL - (eliminates the need for a small mixer)

Read the full Cube-80XL thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6471.0

supernicd

QuoteWhich leads me to another question,on page 28(in the Mixer Section)it refers to "MIXER" &  "STEREO",it also refers to "DIVIDER & DUAL".
In the context of this section are MIXER/DIVIDER & STEREO/DUAL,the same thing?,if so & i'm reading this section correctly,that would mean i would have to use "CH balance" to adjust the Volumes of Channels A/B,could this be done with an assign to a Volume/Exp Pedal & be adjustable in a live situation,or would i have to set the levels via programming?

Circling back to this question...  The divider is all about the point where you split your signal path, and how you control which path is the  active one.  There is a single mode, meaning you only use one channel - period.  That's very simple.  Channel A or B (whichever you pick) is used and the other is not.

If you pick dual, then you get lots of options to decide which signal path is used.  If you leave all of the dual mode options off, then the signal goes through both channels all the time (and volumes adjusted in the mixer).  But you can turn one or more of the dual mode settings on and force the A or B channel to be used only in certain circumstances.  Such as harder picked notes use channel A and softer picked notes use channel B.  Or notes above a certain frequency use channel A and notes below that frequency use channel B.  Or you should be able to set it up so the signal always goes through channel A but channel B is added only when you pick hard, for example.  Fun stuff for controlling your amp model & FX chain simply by the way you are playing your guitar.  Maybe you have a dry sound and add a huge reverb, only at max picking strength.  Could be fun. :)  Or countless other examples.

Then in the mixer, assuming the divider is in dual mode,  you can control the A/B balance, and even add a bit of delay to one of the chains.  You should be able to assign Channel A/B Balance to a pedal for live control if you like.  Blend the amp models, etc. with the EXP pedal.

I would assume if a stereo effect is placed before the mixer it would operate in mono but I haven't verified that.  If anyone else knows i'd like to know too!

Hope that helps and is accurate.  I think it is but I have only played with these features a very little on the GT-100.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Graham G

Sorry,i got carried away with the Cubes :),thanks for the reply,is does look i can alter either Pre A or B volume with an assign,i'll find out for sure when i stop dithering and buy the GT ;D

pre-amp
Quote from: SuperNiCd on October 24, 2014, 01:20:55 PM
Circling back to this question...  The divider is all about the point where you split your signal path, and how you control which path is the  active one.  There is a single mode, meaning you only use one channel - period.  That's very simple.  Channel A or B (whichever you pick) is used and the other is not.

If you pick dual, then you get lots of options to decide which signal path is used.  If you leave all of the dual mode options off, then the signal goes through both channels all the time (and volumes adjusted in the mixer).  But you can turn one or more of the dual mode settings on and force the A or B channel to be used only in certain circumstances.  Such as harder picked notes use channel A and softer picked notes use channel B.  Or notes above a certain frequency use channel A and notes below that frequency use channel B.  Or you should be able to set it up so the signal always goes through channel A but channel B is added only when you pick hard, for example.  Fun stuff for controlling your amp model & FX chain simply by the way you are playing your guitar.  Maybe you have a dry sound and add a huge reverb, only at max picking strength.  Could be fun. :)  Or countless other examples.

Then in the mixer, assuming the divider is in dual mode,  you can control the A/B balance, and even add a bit of delay to one of the chains.  You should be able to assign Channel A/B Balance to a pedal for live control if you like.  Blend the amp models, etc. with the EXP pedal.

I would assume if a stereo effect is placed before the mixer it would operate in mono but I haven't verified that.  If anyone else knows i'd like to know too!

Hope that helps and is accurate.  I think it is but I have only played with these features a very little on the GT-100.

supernicd

QuoteThe Cube-80XL does have a larger cabinet (compared to Cube 60)   and is a darker sounding amp

(click here for details)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1122

I often set the Cube-80XL's Bass control to "cut" ( 9:00 o'clock position)

I'll have to give that a try, as I would like to like the COSM models on the Cube 80XL (in particular the mid-high gain models) more than I do.  It is strange but it almost seems like an entirely different version of COSM built into this amp, as compared to a Boss GT, Roland GR-55, VG-99, etc.  Like they built new algorithms just for the Cube...  But maybe it's all down to differences in how the tone knobs work.

At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't matter much as it makes a fantastic amp to connect to a GR/GT/VG.  It's well worth what I paid just for that use.  Standing on its own, it doesn't hold enough presets to cover a typical gig for me.  But it works great for what I use it for.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Graham G

Thanks to Elantric pointing out i was possibly wrong in my opinion of the COSM models in the 80XL,i've put more effort into getting the COSM section eq'd to my liking.
I'm now getting some really usable sound out of the Cosm ch. of the XL,to such an extent,i'm starting to doubt if i'm doing the right thing buying a GT100.
I'm now thinking,should i buy a GP10/GK3(which isn't much more money than a GT100)& use an Amp model to run into the clean ch.of my other Cube.
This would give me the Dual amp operation i'm used to having,plus i would get all the advantages of the GK3 COSM.
My old brain is thinking in normal use i would get my Guitar sound into the 2 Cubes(1 clean + GP10 AMP + 1 COSM ch.AMP)then when using the GK3,i would need to figure out a way of sending GP10/GK3 COSM to 1 Cube only(clean Ch.) & the GK3 only(no GP10 COSM)to the other Cubes(cosm Ch.).
I would REALLY appreciate your advice,input,thoughts,on the above ramblings,i need to buy one of these before my brain explodes. :)
If anyone can figure out what the hell i'm trying to say ;D ??? :-\

supernicd

I guess I'm not sure I know enough about why you're running two amps.  For stereo effects?  To have two different amp tones at once?  The GT-100 is going to be a bit more flexible, I think, in the way it can split your signal path, have two simultaneous amp models, place an effect into one or both of the chains, etc.  It has more FX blocks available and can obviously have two amp models at once.  It has more hardware I/O than the GP-10 (fx loop, MIDI, etc.)

However, the GP-10 with GK-3 can do a bunch of stuff the GT-100 can't, like guitar modeling, synthesis, polyphonic guitar to MIDI conversion, alternate tunings at the touch of a button.  If you've never owned a VGuitar unit before, this stuff is a real treat.

It really comes down to your specific needs in terms of capabilities, desired footprint, etc.  These boxes have a set of things in common (COSM amps & FX) but then they diverge and each offers unique advantages.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Graham G

I run 2 amps for get 2 different sounds at the same time,it's something i've done since the early 70's,i have the amps on different sounds/channels,at the same time,i feel it gives the Guitar a lot of body & it just works well for me(i think a lot of Guitarists do it)but i could be wrong,they may just switch between amps  :)
I think i'm going to go with the GT100 & my Cubes,although i'm going to have a but moment again.i don't know how mixing the Dual Amps of the GT100,into a single amp would pan :) out.it may give me the same feel/sound i get from 2 amps,i've also posted on the GA212 thread in "Amplifiers",the GA212,seems to have a good layout for running a GT100 & it's 100watts stereo(each ch.)so lots of headroom & there are stupid cheap run-out prices at the moment which always helps ;D.
With reference to the GP10,i'm only interested in the Guitar Cosm(pick-ups,tuning)but once i've got used to using the GT100(should only take me a few years :) & quite like the idea of a GP10 for Guitar Cosm run into the GT100,as someone suggested on another thread.
Once again thanks for your response & for putting up with my ramblings.
Cheers,Graham.
Quote from: SuperNiCd on October 27, 2014, 07:06:39 AM
I guess I'm not sure I know enough about why you're running two amps.  For stereo effects?  To have two different amp tones at once?  The GT-100 is going to be a bit more flexible, I think, in the way it can split your signal path, have two simultaneous amp models, place an effect into one or both of the chains, etc.  It has more FX blocks available and can obviously have two amp models at once.  It has more hardware I/O than the GP-10 (fx loop, MIDI, etc.)

However, the GP-10 with GK-3 can do a bunch of stuff the GT-100 can't, like guitar modeling, synthesis, polyphonic guitar to MIDI conversion, alternate tunings at the touch of a button.  If you've never owned a VGuitar unit before, this stuff is a real treat.

It really comes down to your specific needs in terms of capabilities, desired footprint, etc.  These boxes have a set of things in common (COSM amps & FX) but then they diverge and each offers unique advantages.

Graham G

Thanks for the input,I've just ordered the GT100,i'll post with updates when i get it plugged in. :)

Graham G

For anyone interested ;D,i've "Finally" worked out how to configure(using Floorboard) the Dual Signal Path for A & B pre-amps,using L/R Pan(instead of stereo),initial listening at low levels(at home),suggests that when using A & B pre-amps,the L/R pan method,feeding into 2 Cubes,works better than the stereo mix,feeding into 1 Cube,to my old ears each pre amp sounds "clearer/less cluttered",but at the same time seems to blend together better.
Band practice tomorrow,so i'll use L/R output into my 2 Cubes & see how it works out at Band playing level.
Cheers,Graham.

supernicd

Congrats on your discovery!

My experience matches yours.  I don't typically use two amps, but I do sometimes use a stereo combo amp (Fender Mustang IV) with a VG-99 (typically go VG-99 phones out into the Mustang Stereo Aux In).  When running dual chains, it does seem to offer a lot more clarity to pan one hard left and the other hard right as opposed to mixing them in the center.  Or at least that seems to work well when the COSM Guitars/Preamps are very different from one another.

In my experience the stereo mix is good for using very similar and/or the exact same pre-amp.  So for example using the same pre-amp model but EQ'ing the two chains differently might sound good with stereo mix.  I guess it all comes down to the patch and what you use it for, but L/R is definitely a nice option to have for some of them.  Of course it's also good for one amp/mono which is what I actually run live most of the time. :P
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Graham G

Thanks for the reply,I realise that my posts are at a very basic level,but as i plod thru the GT100,(using Gumtowns Software),because of my total lack of experience with any kind of effects,especially programmable multis like the GT100,when i figure simple things out,like the L/R panning & assigns etc.(using the software),it feels to me like i'm making major achievments,of at least man on the moon proportions ;D.
Cheers,Graham

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 02, 2014, 08:47:15 AM
Congrats on your discovery!

My experience matches yours.  I don't typically use two amps, but I do sometimes use a stereo combo amp (Fender Mustang IV) with a VG-99 (typically go VG-99 phones out into the Mustang Stereo Aux In).  When running dual chains, it does seem to offer a lot more clarity to pan one hard left and the other hard right as opposed to mixing them in the center.  Or at least that seems to work well when the COSM Guitars/Preamps are very different from one another.

In my experience the stereo mix is good for using very similar and/or the exact same pre-amp.  So for example using the same pre-amp model but EQ'ing the two chains differently might sound good with stereo mix.  I guess it all comes down to the patch and what you use it for, but L/R is definitely a nice option to have for some of them.  Of course it's also good for one amp/mono which is what I actually run live most of the time. :P