New Roland JC40

Started by Graham G, July 14, 2015, 07:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

its interesting that the JC40 includes stereo input - on the front panel, and the EQ is full stereo

QuoteI'd want to run the guitar out through the amp and the GR-55 stereo out to the rear.

That is possible  if you set the rear FX loop for Parallel mode.

Bear

Do they document whether the effects loops send is mono or is actually hiding stereo functionality?  If it's a mono send, it seems like such a near miss from functionality that I would shell out cash for.

Rodrigo Schwarz

I buyed last week a Roland JC 40. The clean tone is real legendary. And worked well with my Roland GR 55 and POD HD 500X. Just one concern (and a big one): when i connect my GR 55 or POD in stereo on the front pannel or on the FX loop the chorus dont work. The chorus only work if i connect my guitar direct on the front pannel or if a connect the  GR 55 or POD in mono. Which is a shame, since either I lose the advantages of being able to connect my effects in stereo or I lose the perfect chorus of the amplifier.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Smash

"Stereo 2" chorus on the GR55 is exactly the same as the JC chorus i.e. Chorus on one channel only - that's the trick to the spread

Rodrigo Schwarz

Yes, I know the chorus effect is in only one channel. But I thought if I connected my guitar in stereo on the front panel the effect could also be triggered. Even with the guitar signal passing unprocessed through the right and left channel the chorus is not triggered. The ideal would be to be able to play with the chorus of the JC 40 and in the same song use the POD or GR 55 in stereo. Since the clean chorus of the JC 40 is the best clean tone I've ever heard (and now I use it a lot with my band! :D), I'm using my modeler in mono for distorted tones and other effects (i dont use de GR 55 with the band, just in home). But the ideal scenario would be to use the JC 40 chorus with only the POD stereo reverbs or delays, for example. And that's not being possible, unfortunately.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Elantric

QuoteYes, I know the chorus effect is in only one channel. But I thought if I connected my guitar in stereo on the front panel the effect could also be triggered. Even with the guitar signal passing unprocessed through the right and left channel the chorus is not triggered. The ideal would be to be able to play with the chorus of the JC 40 and in the same song use the POD or GR 55 in stereo. Since the clean chorus of the JC 40 is the best clean tone I've ever heard (and now I use it a lot with my band! :D), I'm using my modeler in mono for distorted tones and other effects (i dont use de GR 55 with the band, just in home). But the ideal scenario would be to use the JC 40 chorus with only the POD stereo reverbs or delays, for example. And that's not being possible, unfortunately.

Surprised - because on my JC-40 I recall I can connect the GP-10 to the JC-40's front stereo inputs and then use a footswitch connected to the JC-40 to enable / disable either the JC40's built in chorus or Distortion

I'll retest tonight. 

Rodrigo Schwarz

Or my amplifier is defective. I got in touch with Roland's technical support in Brazil and I am waiting for the answer.

Rodrigo Schwarz

I was already forgetting about the JC 40: it is perfectly possible to play with a loud rock drummer and be heard!

Elantric

Its OK, but might get buried in the mix if you play with a loud drummer

My Katana 100-112 combo -is MUCH louder!

Rodrigo Schwarz

Last night, after connecting and unplugging the cables several times, the amplifier chorus worked with the POD connected in stereo on the front panel. I do not know what the problem was, but I played for over two hours and everything kept working. This morning, before I leaved to work, I connected the cables again and everything is ok. Excellent.
Yesterday, in addition to playing with the POD in stereo and using the chorus of the JC 40, I connected the GR55 in the effects loop of the JC 40. The signal from my pickups went to the POD and the signal from the GK 3 pickup  went to the GR 55. It was great!  Now I can use the POD and the GR 55 on the same amplifier. And the two in stereo. Not to mention the legendary JC clean chorus. At night I'll post photos of the setup.

Smash

Quote from: Elantric on November 21, 2016, 11:01:22 AM
My Katana 100-112 combo -is MUCH louder!

And sounds totally different!

Elantric

QuoteLast night, after connecting and unplugging the cables several times, the amplifier chorus worked with the POD connected in stereo on the front panel. I do not know what the problem was, but I played for over two hours and everything kept working. This morning, before I leaved to work, I connected the cables again and everything is ok. Excellent.

Probably a bit of oxidation on the internal switch contacts on the JC40's 1/4" switching input jacks.

Often new gear benefits from a short spray of Caig De-Oxit