GR-55 - ALTERNATE TUNINGS SUDDENLY DON'T WORK.. HELP!!

Started by Paganini666, December 22, 2011, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paganini666

How do I tune the guitar in C# in the alt-tuning patch setting page GR-55?

If you know please give the alt-tuning setting as asp.

Sedgewick

Using the Floorboard editor select the "Master" button.  Under Alt Tuning select "User".  The knobs that appear allow you to raise or lower pitch based on the number of semitones you want to alter each string.

If you just want to detune the whole guitar three semitones so when you play an E chord shape, it sounds like a C#, set each knob to -3.

If you want the guitar to be tuned to an open C#, then change the knobs to achieve C#, G#, C#, G#, C#, F (lowest to highest ).  So if my brain is working properly, -3, -1, -1, +1, +2, +1 should do it.

Remember to turn off your normal pickups, or the combination will sound crappy.

flyster

Guys,
i've looked through the book and forum and cant seem to find information on alternate tuning of each string..I dont need open g, e,a, etc. i need for example d flat, aflat,dflat,aflat,d flat, d flat..I found the location, but cannot find how or where to adjust each string pitch!!
  This was a big selling point to me as i play in several odd tunings..Please dont tell its not caplable.. :(
thanks for your help
flyster

gumtown

Yes it is possible, if you are already at the Alternate tuning menu, then select Custom tuning ("User") at the bottom of the list, then you will find tuning options for each string.
The tuning options are in semitone/step intervals from -24 to +24 which gives you steps to 2 octaves up or down.

I seem to recall that this does not affect the GR-55 internal tuner, so when tuning, do so as if still standard EADGBE
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

And an external tuner into the GR-55 main output might be handy to check your actual alternate tuning,
sometimes the calculations in working the alternate tuning can go wrong.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

flyster

Gumtown,
Thank you. I was working with the +,- intervals of tuning for a period and was wondering about that, but i didnt put it together until you mentioned that. the manual is not real clear those symbols signify tunings off of standard tuning sharp or flat.... great idea to use a tuner of sorts to verify...
     This is my first venture in midi..  I'm not exactly a spring chicken, so its going to be a big learning curve..
Thanks again,

flyster

OldGuitarDude

Quote from:  gumtown on January 25, 2012, 12:38:45 PM
And an external tuner into the GR-55 main output might be handy to check your actual alternate tuning,
sometimes the calculations in working the alternate tuning can go wrong.

GREAT call, Colin! Time to dust off the old Peterson!

Hey flyster, don't feel bad about the "spring chicken" thing either. There are a lot of us old guys on here!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4857.0

flyster

thanks old guitar dude... i'm glad im not alone..These young bucks today like my son pick up games, programs, electronic stuff without even reading the instructions!! i dont know how! it baffles me..
   i just figure i have friends here and time!! what more could you ask for!!!
      whats that they say "good things come to those who are patient"(wait) ? well i should be primed for  some kickass stuff to come my way and then some !! lol.

flyster

dogbite

HI Guys, again... another question. I have set an alternate tuning (open E) for an acoustic guitar model.  It really sounds and works great, but when I strum it almost loses the alt. tuning... It feels like it's too much to process for the synth or something... is there some way to make more processing speed available or fix this?  THe work around, was to finger pick the exact strings I needed to "sell" the song.  But it really needs a hearty strumming rhythm. 

Thanks again. this forum is my savior. 

Player99

You do have the amp loud enough so you are not hearing the actual guitar over the alt amp sound?

I have a Variax and if the amp is not loud enough it sounds defective...

gumtown

Got to watch out with the Alt-tunings, your ears are hearing both the alt tuning from the GR-55 via the amp/phones, and you are also hearing the strumming of the thestrings directly without the alt-tuning, plus you will be 'feeling' the original tuning string vibes through the guitar.
Solution: turn the amp up to '11', or record the GR-55 output and then play it back, it will most likely sound better.

dogbite

no, it definitely has some sort of weird detune sound.  My band gets to practice at a popular club in my city before they open.  So I plugged into to a house PA and we were LOUD.  I couldn't hear my actual strings if my life depended on it.  People in my band hear it too.  It's easily reproducible.  If I record it can I upload the file on this forum?   

THanks!

gumtown

Yes, you can upload an MP3 recording when you post a reply by using the "
  • Attachments and other options" thing at the bottom of the 'post reply' window.

dogbite

ok, here is the little sample.  It's an old 70's tune by Dave Mason.  I need an acoustic guitar model, with an open E.  Ideally I'd like a 12 string with an Alt tuning.  But I can't get that I guess.  The first strumming bit, you don't hear the warble sound.  You do hear it on the heavy strumming.

gumtown

It does sound rather nasty, like some low frequency modulation creeping in (or jitter from an old movie projector).
What sort of guitar/GK are you using?
Kind of sounds like some sort of piezo L.F. rumble/cross talk.

dogbite

Im using a fender strat.  I have the GK-3 pickup and I've done all the setup.  I mean, i've set the distance from the saddles to the pickup, the string height from the pickup and  the string velocity... 

You don't think it's possible that it's just too much to ask from the processor?

Bill Ruppert

First make sure you are tuned to pitch with the GR-55 tuner and then lower input string levels on the GK.
I found the GR-55 is VERY sensitive to levels when pitch shifting and if it is to hot it warbles.

Go to GK settings and do a separate setting with all string levels reduced.
Then check as that may be it.

dogbite

Spider

It's not exactly but similar problem to mine (see my post about resonance). In your example warbling occurs when you hit alt tuned strings or when you hit other strings?

tekrytor

If you've tried everything else, you might also check and adjust the intonation using the GR's tuner.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Athelstan12

I'm aware this problem has been featured in older threads, having had the GR-55 now for long enough to understand, and appreciate its capabilities, I'm being bothered by the phenomenon inherent in the situation, where, say, playing in DADGAD tuning, wearing headphones, and hearing the 'discord'of the strings, still in Standard Tuning, its very distracting, its the same when playing through an Amp, cured by turning up the volume, almost, because I'm sure I can still hear both tunings, hypothetical statement:-there is no solution to this, is there?

Kevin M

musicman65

Crank it up a bit, or monitor via headphones. The output does not contain the standard tuning. Its only an acoustic phenomena heard by the player when the volume is to low.

bd

soothsayerpg

Hi guys. First i am not sure if this would be the right section to post this. If not them please admin/mods to move it to the right section. Sorry about that.

Anyway, was so excited with the GR-55, especially with the Alternate Tunings capabilities of Gr-55. But when i had bought it last two days ago yesterday i begun experimenting and/or messing around with the alternate tunings, i was using a plane acoustic patch and trying those alternate tuning songs (Was so excited i can finally play those alternate tunings songs) but i had noticed that let's say i detune to Eb, D, C# and so on and so forth all the way down, i notice that the high E string and sometimes also the B and the G string also produce those unwanted two notes result, this is usually can be encounter with other multi effects when trying to detune using pitch shifter and/or whammy. So it's like i cannot play those alternate tuning live with these results. I hearing a harmony sound on those specific strings and not one sound of a specific string.

Is there some of you experiencing the same thing? I was hoping that i alone were encountering this problem and i had maybe missing something out in the tweak. I hope you guys can help me figure out this problem?

Thanks guys!

Cheers  :)

Elantric

With ALL Roland COSM modeling systems that perform Alt Tunings - you MUST use headphones, or play amplified at a higher decibel level than the sound of the natural pitch of the vibrating strings - since these are in conflict with the DSP COSM Modeled Alternative tuning.

The natural pitch vibration of the non amplified strings is actually quite loud - and your ear can be fooled into thinking any odd distortions or pitch errors you hear are emerging from the Output Jack of the Roland Gear. 

In most cases, there are no problems with the Roland Gear - but your ears will be hearing a mix of your speakers AND the natural pitch vibration of the non amplified strings on your guitar, and often these are NOT the same frequency.   
http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/