FTP - Fishman Tripleplay Hardware Mode Doc...

Started by shawnb, September 28, 2013, 04:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteFor my other question, I already know how to use the FTP with a computer, I want to use it with a sound module (with no FTP software or computer running) - not a plugin or softsynth. The PDF in the original post is helpful - but it is over my head in many ways. I am just wondering if any people here are doing what I am doing, (Kenton HOST to sound module) and have found easy approaches to making this setup work, especially for a live gig.

And here is what I do for non computer FTP use at the gig.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.msg60207#msg60207

I actually never use FTP  "Hardware mode"  - I simply use the Up/Down button on my FTP Controller to navigate and select patches on . . hardware MIDI synths using FTP>iConnectMIDI. Works great for my needs - but realize i'm not doing any string / fretboard range splits or velocity crossfades - simply doing the occasional organ / piano  / sax lead part or string pads backing on some tunes - using an old Roland Sound Canvas GM MIDI tone module.

Just stay away from the FTP Controller's Left / Right buttons - those take you straight to land of the lost.

cruisemates

Just an update. I have the Kenton USB midi host and I am using it to drive a Yahama Motif. I was lucky enough to find the first generation Motif on eBay priced at just over $300.

This is a GREAT unit for hardware usage with the FTP. There is almost no latency at all, and even better, when you change sounds via the up/down buttons on your controller the program changes are displayed on the Motif hardware window - so I actually always know what patch I am in.

The Motif has an area where you can create and save user settings in sequence - and if you navigate there you can easily put all of your sounds in the correct order for a gig. The only drawback is that I don't yet see a way to get the Motif to boot up in that setting.

I have not been starting the FTP with the top button pressed. I just turn it on. I find that the left and right controller buttons will switch me between chromatic and legato (slide) settings in any patch - but it takes a number of pressing before you get there. I hope more people follow this lead so we can start a thread just for people using the Motif. So far it better than I expected to get out of any sound module.