VG-99 - Steel String Acoustic

Started by TheClassicalGod, March 24, 2012, 04:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClassicalGod

It's kinda sad to see this part of the forum pretty much dead. I just got my VG-99 a day or so ago and have been pretty adamant that it can produce a decent, believable, steel string acoustic sound if it were tweaked right... This is my first shot at it.. It's not quite there, but I was hoping maybe someone else here could help out a bit. Please, be kind. I haven't had much time to figure this whole machine out, much less time to tweak this patch. lol Hope someone finds it useful.

Control 1 switches on 12-string and Control 2 changes the tuning to DADGAD, for those who may use that tuning.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group TheClassicalGod!  :)

GeePeeAxe

Welcome to the group!
Your patch is too silent. Don´t know if the mix of 2 channels was intentional, but if you
want a single guitar tone, it is better to go to the "mixer page" and pan to the actual
channel. In the actual channel it is good to use some compression before you go into
reverb, delay etc. This can warm up the sound and let it cut through the mix. I use often
the limiter for this, the "RACK 160 D" model is my favorite. This will compress the sound.

Check out the level-meters of the VG-99: 1 is in the "chain" menue, the other if on the
main screen of the unit, to see if you push "page right" 3 times. Here you can always see
the input and the output levels.

Cheers,
Djordje

Jim Williams

QuoteIt's kinda sad to see this part of the forum pretty much dead.
I don't think it is dead, there are still many posts for the VG-99 topics you just have to look for VG-99 specific theads.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

papabuss

THX  Jim
that's my opinion too. Although lots of posts were concentrated on the GR 55 during the past time the VG 99 site in this forum will never be dead.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

TheClassicalGod

I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to effect chains and how they "should" be. That's not a shot at you or anything. Just my being honest. I really don't know what i'm doing. I got my VG-99 used and only got a chance to skim through the PDF version of the manual. I'm 100% lost with this thing. lol

I felt added compression made things sound too... jumpy.. but, i'm likely using too much since I, again, don't know what i'm doing and every real compression tool i've used has had different labels and increments.. so, i've never learned a proper way. =\ I'm only finding half of what you're saying and even then, i'm getting poor results from lack of know-how on my end.

any help would definitely be appreciated.

Jim Williams

What you need to do is research what effects do and then experiment with them a lot. Once you get a Handel on that start changing their locations in the signal path. when you move things around first get a picture in your head of what effects you would place in front of your amp as stomp boxes and what effects you would put in your amps effects loop as rack effects. there are basic rules for where cirtin effects go in the chain (Roland has taken care of that in the default of each patch) however rules were made to be broken. Do what sound good to you. your question addresses to many details to cover in one post but if you have questions that are more specific you may even email me and I can give a more specific answer.

TheClassicalGod

I didn't mean I had zero knowledge of any effects. I meant that I'm really unsure when it comes to things that should be used with subtlety. I've been playing guitar for about 12 years. I know my distortions, reverbs, delays, and even a bit on pre-amps.. but compression has always eluded me a bit. I've used it to bring a mix to a steadier level while recording, but it was always software plugins that I had some visual feedback, being able to see the wave and how it was effected.. but, at the same time, i've always seen ratio and threshold, while this says sustain and and attack.

I'll fully admit I need a serious crash course when it comes to compression, was just never able to find much other than "just listen". lol I know there is no one and only way of doing things, but I tend to overdo things easily and there is such a thing as a bad sound from using too much of something. I usually end up making things overly bright and it ends up forcing me to be stupid and bring the rest of the mix to that, which ends up just being crap sounding noise after a certain point.

Jim Williams

Compression can be used in several different ways as a "guitar effect". You can select a clean guitar and turn up the sustain and attack and get a almost modulated tone just like in the song Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. that sound was strait guitar to compressor and to the amp with no other effects. During a wha solo you might turn up the level and put it in front of your wha pedal to give your wha a little more guitar to hang on to. If you use it on the other end of the chain you can get the sound of natural compressed tubes but it compress any volume increases like your solo boost. On the other you can get the true dynamic responce of your guitar but with a constant output level. you can put it in front of your amp and turn up the level and get a gain boost to the front end of your amp and you can use it to limit the gain to your amp. When you set it with your modulation effects in the chain it will enhance the sound of your Modulation effect (mainly the chorus). it also can serve as a nice clean boost to make your clean solos thick and bright most compressors have a tone control on them as well to brighten and darken your tone. None of this is a rule try different stuff but remember as a guitar effect it is very different from the way you might use it in the studio.

TheClassicalGod

Noted.. I definitely have a lot to learn with it. lol