Couple of Variax 700 issues - any ideas?

Started by Smash, May 24, 2015, 04:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Hi guys,

So I got hold of a Variax 700 with GK3 already installed (very neat) and have a couple of issues which I'd appreciate any thoughts on:

1. I reflashed the memories over from Monkey but for some reason the acoustics are in the custom slot and other sounds seem to be a bit all over the place. I can access each memory slot from workbench fine but haven't tried saving.

2. It won't work off batteries - I'm guessing this is purely a switch issue in the jack socket? I really don't want two cables running to the guitar!

3. I'm going to string with Mixima Custom 11 acoustic strings (it's gonna be used purely for acoustic type gigs) but the previous owner has cut the nut slots too low on the bottom 4 strings so I have rattle against the first fret on open strings. I've read about using superglue to refill the nut slot and file down but as it's almost all strings I was wondering about packing the nut with a sliver of rosewood (I got a little packing sheet with an old Schaller acoutis pick up) to bring the whole thing up. Is there any reason this wouldn't be advisable?

It's really interesting comparing the VAX models to VG99 - the electrics are nowhere near as good, Spank (strat) in particular is very disappointing but the acoustics just kick the VG99 all round the park and then some!

Why didn't I go with VAX acoustic if that's the sound I want? Simple, price point - the acoustics are commanding ever increasing money these days and (I believe) it's the same PCB in the electrics as the acoustics and they share at least 5 models - the main ones I'd use to be fair.

Smash

I've had the back plate off and the first thing I noticed is that there are three thicker green wires coming off a connector on the jack socket PCB, one of which has a metal fork connector at the end which looks for all the world like it should be earthed but isn't bolted to anything!

I'll post a pic up but are there any schematics about for the VAX socket?

Spot the green tag lead mid top left:

Also note one of the green leads from same block connector has been cropped?

Elantric

It's had a non factory mod. But the Green wires are Earth ground and when re-installng the rear cover be sure to wedge the spade lug Green wire under one corner so it makes contact with the foil shield

Smash

Thanks Elantric - will do

Getting worse now - first time I've run up the GK and Variax output and nasty hum coming across the GK cable. Suspect it's an earthing issue or ground loop? Argh!!!

I found Rev B schematics but can't find Rev A which is what I have.

Suddenly the guitar wart is looking A LOT more attractive!

EDIT - if I switch VAX power floor unit to XLR out - essentially disconnecting the audio to the mixer but still powering up guitar there's no hum. Weird!

Smash

So today i used the balanced XLR out of the VAX power stomp but no improvement. Also noticed GK3 volume encoder not working...

Ah-ha!! Pulled all the GK3 out and watched vol pot behaviour via PC editor - it seems we have a dodgy wire to teh pot - moving the GK PCB closer to the pot it breaks into life as the wiring falls a certain way. Question is, where is the break in the wire?!

And no hum!!!

Onwards and upwards...

Smash

Right so it was one of the wires going to the GK/Mix switch that was causing grief bizarrely - all sorted.

And buzz gone but ONLY after disconnecting the VAX output fly lead to the GK PCB - so no VAX down the GK lead.

Any ideas?