VG-99- Bowie tribute show patch collection March 2017

Started by mooncaine, April 01, 2017, 11:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

More folks want to hear and play Bowie these days. This set can save you some setup time.

Most patches have these control settings:

CTL 1 (on the VG) toggles guitar pickups: R+F min, R Max.
   That's because I want to see a light when the bridge pickup is on.
CTL 2 (on the VG) toggles guitar pickups: R+F min, F Max.
   That's because I want to see a light when the neck pickup is on.

On the FC-300 footpedal:
EXP 2, the outer pedal, is almost always some kind of volume, usually FV Volume but sometimes another volume, whatever seemed best to me for that patch.

EXP SWITCH 2 is usually set to Solo boost. *often, it's set Momentary, like a 'deadman switch', so that it'll switch off when I take my foot away. Otherwise, it's easy for me to forget that I just got louder, and I don't want to be rude or encourage fellow players to turn up in response.

EXP 1 pedal, the inner pedal, is sometimes set to A/B balance. Sometimes it's a wah or other effect controller. Sometimes, it's turned off.

CTL 2 (on the footpedal) is often Solo boost or something similar, or it's the 'most important effect switch.' It's easiest to hit without missing.

CTL 1 (on the footpedal) is seldom used, but if so, it's usually for something less important. If I'm using CTL 2 for something other than Solo boost, CTL 1 is often set to take the Solo boost function.

On the GK: S1 and S2 go down/up through the pickup choices.
On the GK: the knob is usually set to Guitar Volume. If you use a US-20 switcher, this may cause probs for you, so watch out. Reassign this if you have probs.

Patch list:

Afraid-Americans.mid

Switch Ring Mod on/off for the E7 accents.

Ashes Cln ChorMix.mid

The clean-ish riddim guitars in Ashes to Ashes.

BlueJeanF-tuned.mid

Blue Jean riddim guitar, simple sound but retuned a half-step up because that's how it sounds on the record.

CatPeopleBoth.mid

Riddim guitar. I never used the GR on chan B.

ChinaGirl Rdm.mid

I think this is just the riddim guitar, but it's possible I might have set chan B up for the lead.

Fame riddim.mid

For the funky main riddim riff as well as the double-stop licks that end the intro section and lead into the main riff.

Fashion RAGE.mid

Fripptacular gain. Use the volume pedal to keep it quiet. Don't touch it unless you mean it. You may want to adjust noise gate settings. Mine are drastic.

HEROES sustainer.mid

Automatic sustain effect. Play a B harmonic on the A string, same harmonic on the D string, then finger the G string at fret 14 and slide up to fret 16. Season to taste. When the guitar signal drops below a certain volume, the Freeze effect kicks in. You can take your hands off any time.

Let's Dance ECHO.mid

The echo is timed so it'll sound right if you play the riff right. Look for Nile Rodger's demo of how he plays it. Many of us play too much here. It's quite simple.   

LetsDanceLEAD.mid

Meh, yet another SRV sound.

ManSoldWrld Lead.mid

Meh, it's an OK sound for the lead guitar role here. A cocked wah, probably.

Moonage Ld.mid

Loud & clear. The EXP 2 switch adds in a doubling sound to thicken it up during the chorus. It's a deadman switch. If you take your foot off, it's back to normal. Also useful for Aerosmith tunes.

SpaceOdditySlick.mid

335 sound like the lead gtr on Space Oddity. CAREFUL: I tried to set up a "spaceship rising" sound on the D-Beam, but never got a long enough sustain for it to work well enough. It crapped out too early.

UnderPressure.mid

Riddim guitar with a pedal to cross-fade to the louder, raunchier guitar near the end ("Why can't we give love / one more chance?")

Smash

Really like the idea of CTL 1 and CTL 2 being used to indicate PUP selector position......might borrow that!

Will download the patches for when my thumb has healed - not for Bowie set but just to have a nosey!

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Breno

I'm happy when they post a new patch on the vg-99 forum ...
He is very forgetful and stopped ...
I love my vg-99 !!!
Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS200, VG-99, GR-55, FC-300 e US-20.

mooncaine

I'm so glad to hear from you. Hope you enjoy them!

Smash: to make setup of patches go quicker, I use the ol' sysex playback trick to set up those CTL 1 and CTL 2 switches, a trick I learned here from you guys.

I also use a sysex recording to add my fave EXP pedal settings.

It doesn't always work, if the patch is quite different, but since I back up the patches before I try it, it's harmless and way quicker than editing the patch on the Mac or on the VG.