FTP and MainStage 3 help please!

Started by ur2funky, October 31, 2013, 06:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ur2funky

Hi,
I'm really enjoying the FTP.  The lowest latency I've found is on my iMac using Logic in "low latency" mode, or using MainStage 3... (3 is the only version I have).   These are noticeably faster than using the bundled software.  And I prefer the sounds.

Here's where I need the help.  How can I change the patches in Mainstage 3 with the up & down buttons on the FTP D-pad?    I've searched online and messed with Mainstage with no luck.  There is a "learning mode" in Mainstage, where you have to press a button three times for Mainstage to learn it, but pressing the up button on the d-pad sends a different signal each time. 

The ftp volume and pitchbend on and off work well now in Mainstage.  And SampleTank switches patches with the up & down buttons, so I know it can be done.

Which command does Mainstage need?

Thanks for your help!
-Scott

Elantric

Contact this FTP user  - Joe Gore

http://tonefiend.com/guitar/fishman-tripleplay-demo-now-with-more-nasty/

Ask others (multivir , merman93 and utensil)  in these existing FTP with Apple Mainstage threads

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9389.msg67580#msg67580

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8801.msg63153#msg63153

Read our FTP User Docs in our download area here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=28

and follow the basics - like verifying inter app MIDI communication using Snoize MIDI Monitor for OSX, covered here:
"Workflow" for setting up MIDI controllers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

and from arkieboy

Not sure if this is going to work - or how much work you need to do to make it happen on your hardware - but here is a basic mainstage concert designed to use with a guitar synth controller such as a VG99 or a GR55. (or FTP or YRG)

It works for me - your milage may vary.  If there are ways I can improve on it then please post to this topic and I'll see if I can accomodate.  At the moment I have an Axon/AMT8/MotU828 rig so I can't do the final set up for you, hopefully someone out there will do the final bit and offer a link here.

I've created a number of mono and poly mode templates all set up - midi channels 1-6 with various standard logic soft synths so this will work out of the box if you have mainstage.  Once you have the concert listening to your hardware all you need to do is copy and rename the template patch using the synth you want to use, and then change the sounds selected.  On the mono-mode patches, start with your synth set to poly mode and get the sound how you want it.  Then copy the channel strip settings to all of the other channel strips and you can set your guitar to mono mode.

Here's the Mainstage template "guitar-synth starter.zip" for mainstage

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3305696/guitar-synth%20starter.zip

Hope you find it useful

Steve / arkieboy

ur2funky

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. 
Unfortunately I've already read through all that material and my answer isn't there.
Joe Gore uses footswitches to change patches/control MainStage.
I'm looking for linking the FTP D-Pad up & down switches to patch changes in MainStage 3.
Everything else with ftp and MainStage works as it should.
Thanks again for trying!
Best,
~Scott

Elantric

Use Snoize MIDI Monitor to read what the FTP Up/Down buttons transmit.

Both my FTP's generate patch up /down MIDI messages.

ur2funky

Excellent idea!

I just found a work-around.  I will post the details later as I need to run out right now.

Thanks again!

~S

Elantric

YEs - please post what you discover.

I'm sorting out my new compact rig based on a 2012 Retina MBP, and FTP, with Logic X, Mainstage 3 myself.
So far I'm getting good results using my NI Rig Kontrol 3 as my Audio / MIDI Interface too.

More Mainstage support is here
http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=401a32fe311b2a9ba801984d7eae1c58

the coastal path

So - I will try to be clear!

I am using TP with MainStage. In MainStage I have created a keyboard controller & assigned TP to that - that lets me route TP midi to the MainStage software instruments. However, I would like to save TP setups (pitch bend, sensitivity etc) with each patch. But if I try to open an AU instrument inside the TP AU hosting software, MainStage hangs.

It seems both the TP software & MainStage try to grab the TP controller, causing a conflict - if I delete the TP keyboard instrument, it works fine - but then I can't route midi to the built in sounds...

Anyone else run into this? Is there any way to set the TP pitch bend default behaviour to "smooth"? I tried simultaneously opening the TP standalone software with it set to hardware - but this seems to cause MainStage to become flaky too...

Stephen

keg8605

Hi I've searched through many threads and haven't been able to find a solution/ answer to my problem.  How do you use multiple triple play patches in mainstage? When you switch a preset it loads the new patch/plug in but says controller in use. So then is you click use here it works. However it keeps the previous patch settings until you click "use here". I swear I had this all working like a week or two ago and then I changed patches outside of mainstage and had to deleted that concert.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Apologies if this was answered already. Thanks.

shawnb

Kerry -

Sorry, I don't know how mainstage works & I've never used it.  If it's working like different tracks in a DAW, then the behavior you describe makes perfect sense.  Since there is only one FTP device, you need to actively tell it which config to use via the "use here" button.  That button loads the configs you just selected, among the other potentially active FTP vst sessions. 

Random thought #1 - I wonder if a variation of the 'two track' method might work...   Have one 'song' use the FTP vst & a 'hardware synth' patch.  Then have all other songs simply use the FTP as a MIDI input device (i.e., no FTP vst).  If you can find a way to change patches in the FTP (e.g., via the dpad up & down keys?), then your issue is solved.  You're flying blind a bit on the FTP patch selection, but you won't have the 'use here' problem. 

Random thought #2 - Consider using the FTP app on its own & use their 'song' screen & feature.  It is limited, true, but it might work.  The problem with this is I think you have to use a mouse to navigate to the next song.   

All I can think of for now.  Since I don't use/have mainstage, I can't try anything out. 

Shawn

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

keg8605

Thanks for the reply Shawn.  I just had seen your reply in another thread and seemed like you might have some ideas on my problem. 

Hopefully Fishman will help with this issue.  I emailed them twice now.  I swear I had it working this way a few weeks ago.  I don't know if i did some update or something.  On my macbook, i thought I could maybe removed one of the triple play midi ports (fishman triple Play Controller) but its grayed out and I cant.  It seems that is the cause of the issue in mainstage.  The two midi ports....

Elantric

This mini-tutorial demonstrates how easy it is to instantiate TriplePlay into Apple's MainStage 3. The procedure is exactly the same for Logic Pro as well.

keg8605

^Wow shortest tutorial ever.  I've not touched my ftp for a few months but seeing as I don't use any of the bundled software in FTP. I only like to use it as a controller.  So still the only way to use multiple hardware FTP patches is to have the standalone app open and switch patches in there as well as mainstage, correct still?

shawnb

Quote from: keg8605 on February 13, 2015, 06:34:06 AM
^Wow shortest tutorial ever.  I've not touched my ftp for a few months but seeing as I don't use any of the bundled software in FTP. I only like to use it as a controller.  So still the only way to use multiple hardware FTP patches is to have the standalone app open and switch patches in there as well as mainstage, correct still?

No, you can run in Hardware Mode & not use the app at all.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

jusplayinmybass

Go to the Concert level inspector and select FTP in the program change option. That should make it so that you can change patches with the buttons on the FTP.

You can use aliases to put Ftp on multiple patches. I don't have an FTP. But this is how it works with JamOrigin MidiGuitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Power comes from a need, not a desire.

Goku

merman93

Quote from: jusplayinmybass on February 14, 2015, 06:56:05 AM
...... But this is how it works with JamOrigin MidiGuitar.

I'm very interested in your experiences with MidiGuitar and Main Stage 3. From your monicker, I'm assuming you are using a bass guitar through Jam Origin?
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9