GR-55 - 1.50 Firmware installation

Started by curteye, June 28, 2012, 06:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Can anyone who has installed the new 1.50 firmware update report if the patch change is faster, or does it still act the same as before?

Elantric

Wow, so Roland does produce updates for products that actually sell.  Imagine that!

Actually they once did this for the VG-99 too
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.0

gafaell

From what I am reading here...I will not dare to update to version 1.50 :'(

Don´t want to get into trouble. (Better not to change it, if it works...) :'(

mbenigni

A little underwhelming, but more than I expected actually.  The application of alt. tunings on MIDI out is a good improvement.  I guess I'll bump mine since I never even applied 1.02.

Kind of amazing that Roland would go through all of the QA hassles involved with releasing a major revision (OK full minor revision, technically) and not be a little more ambitious, though.

QuoteBetween before and after updating, some patches change to the different by the same program change message received from an external MIDI equipment.

LOL can I quote you on that?

Elantric

Quotefinally...no real critical fixes but at least it arrived in June i guess? haha

Watch - it will be a bit longer before this 1.50 Firmware update shows up on the Roland US site.
They typically will say " we must fully test this update before we post it" - which is a valid point.

Back in 2000, there was a VG-88 firmware update posted on the Japanese Roland site, but many users had problems applying the update and actually bricked their units and had to send their VG-88 to Roland US headquarters in Los Angeles for a new motherboard. it was a fiasco.

Elantric

Between before and after updating, some patches change to the different by the same program change message received from an external MIDI equipment.

LOL can I quote you on that?

I suspect what he means is there is a whole new GR-55 Preset patch table - the new artist patches are located in patch # memory slots  formerly held by older presets.

Litesnsirens

I think the reason for some members being underwhelmed/disappointed with this update is that for what it brought they could have just called it 1.03.  They fixed some minor bugs, changed some display readings regarding sensitivity for piezos (stills minor bug fix - I'm guessing I'll still need an opt-1 to use piezos) and added some patches that they could have posted on the artist patch page for download.  That's all fine with me... I love this unit as is, but 1.03 probably would have had a true ring for everyone.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on June 29, 2012, 05:53:25 AM
Actually they once did this for the VG-99 too
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.0

Ah, that predates my ownership of the box.  Mine came with 1.04 preinstalled so I never got the joy of the uncertainty of updating my unit.  If I do opt for a GR-55 I'll probably wait for a black one just because it would have 1.50 already installed.  After re-reading all the requests for a future update for the 99 either half of them
already exist or are not practical just because the hardware would need an upgrade.  Like requests for the harmonizer for the 55 - that chip isn't in that unit so it's not
going to work.  They'd need a GR-60 or something.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kevin M

I'd like to wait for a better English translation of the feature change/bug-fix list:

"A noise mixed with USB Audio when a lot of voices sounded."

:-)

Jim Williams

I blindly installed the 1.50 update this morning and had no trouble. the new patches are the only thing you can see on the surface. I use a peizo system on my guitar so now I am trying to get my sensitivity set all over again...Should have left it alone. The patch change delay seems to have no improvement. I have some patch with multiple assigns that misfire sometimes and they haven't addressed that issue either. any other improvements have gone unnoticed by me and I don't  think that Roland has properly tested this update.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

highlandsrock

I've now had a bit longer to try out the patches and some of them are really rather good. They are in addition to all the old ones. The original sets run from 01-1 to 30-3; the new ones run from position 31-1 to 40-3. I didn't realise Roland had built in the capability to do that.

I haven't checked my GK settings in detail but they do not seem to have changed. I've still got my Ibanez and Freeway set-ups, which I'm happy with, so don't see any need to make changes. I can understand why someone who has gigs coming up might be a little hesitant in updating but for anyone else I'd say go ahead (once you've made a back-up!)

Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

Elantric

QuoteI'd like to wait for a better English translation of the feature change/bug-fix list:

:-)

With Roland - its what you see is what you get, so don't hold your breath.
I do not expect a better translation that what we see today.

The following bugs were fixed:

This means they made an attempt to improve the signal to noise on the USB Audio Interface when playing with multiple PCM voices.

======
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GR-55&id=62081950
Update history
[ Ver.1.50 ]
[Function Improvements]

Added new preset patches
    Added new 90 Guitar and 18 Bass Patches as preset patch.
    Please refer to the "GR-55 Additional Patch List" (GR-55_l_Add_PatchList_je01_W.pdf) for details.
    * Between before and after updating, some patches change to the different by the same program change message received from an external MIDI equipment. Please refer to the "Precautions Concerning the Update of the System Program of the GR-55 to Ver. 1.50 ( GR-55_l_ver150attend_e01.pdf )" for detailed information.

[Bug Fixes]
The following bugs were fixed.

A setting of ALT-TUNING did not affect to MIDI note messages outputted by GUITAR TO MIDI.
    The level meter for each string sens was displayed in less amplitude than it should be when the PU TYPE parameter in GK SETTING was PIEZO, PIEZO G or PIEZO R.
    * The Audio Input Level after updating is the same as before although the amplitude of the level meter changes.
    A noise mixed with USB Audio when a lot of voices sounded.
    PCM tones which TONE SW were set to OFF caused voice interruptions when a lot of voices sounded.
    Particular instruments in Drums category tones sounded at a wrong volume level.
    When using patches which the [PEDAL/GK CTL] > [CTL] or [EXP SW] parameter was set to each EFFECT SW, editting the EFFECT ON/OFF parameter was not linked with the status of each EFFECT SW.
    It caused GR-55 no sound that the GR-55 Librarian wrote a patch including a Drum Kit to the GR-55's user patch.

nosaintnick

So I take it they didn't link the hold function to a midi CC#.

Bill Ruppert

Man the Zoom G3 just got a MAJOR firmware upgrade!

Elantric

QuoteSo I take it they didn't link the hold function to a midi CC#.

It appears the answer is no

With Roland - its what you see is what you get.

Elantric

QuoteMan the Zoom G3 just got a MAJOR firmware upgrade!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4329.msg44132#msg44132
I love my G3 - will be using it in the Cayucos 4th of July Parade

krv4guitar

Wanted to share my experience. Upgraded to v 1.50 without any problem. Some additional presets are good. What I finally found out is that all of us have different notions about how we should sound through GR 55. From my playing experience of above 25 years, I am astounded with the potential of the unit. If we are sure about what we want to get out of unit and work towards it, it's all there. I am regularly using the unit for all my recordings and it has never let me down. But there is no end to our wants and imaginations.

germanicus

Gonna try to update my gr55.

The application of alternate tuning settings to midi out is actually a big deal for me, so im thrilled with just that actually.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Bill Ruppert

I was so hoping for a better user interface.
Taking it on sessions is a nightmare to scroll through things fast.
That's really all I wanted.

NoahB

Just completed the update and all went as it was supose to. I will report back later today or tomrw and let you know what i notice if anything.
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

Litesnsirens

I agree this unit does a lot already, I was actually hoping at some point they would bring on board intelligent harmonies.  Personally I don't believe it needs a separate chip, it's just another algorithm like delay, reverb or the unintelligent harmonies that it does now in the pitch shifter.  All they have to do is build in an algorithm to allow you to choose from a certain scale or mode so that as opposed to what it does now where it's always a major or minor 3rd or 4th or 5th (whatever you set it at) it follows the scale.  Do I absolutely need this? or do I think this unit is useless without it?  Not at all, in fact I'm drawn to play with it almost every free moment that I have.  I just think that a couple more cool features like that would be really cool to have.  I still have so much exploring to do with this unit that I can't complain about what it doesn't have when I haven't exploited everything it does have.  Heck, maybe I can mess with changing the interval with the exp pedal in real time to pull off some intelligent harmonies.  I don't think in any scale there is more than a half step difference for the notes that need to be intelligized (like the new word?).  So I could set something up and then learn to play it.  No good for fast passages but melodic stuff would be possible.

Mrchevy

My update wish list....that NoahB would put his eyeball back in ;D. Thought I would get used to it after a couple of weeks but it still creeps me out. Not meant as a criticism or complaint with expectations, just a wish list item. My daughter walked in the other night while I was reading and saw it. She said "WHATS THAT.........COOOOOOL" ::)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

curteye

Quote from: Mrchevy on June 29, 2012, 01:45:30 PMShe said "WHATS THAT.........COOOOOOL" ::)

+1
But then I am partial to 'one eyed thangs'.  :)  :)

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin' down, you ain't workin' much.

lazzo73

Quote from: nosaintnick on June 29, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
So I take it they didn't link the hold function to a midi CC#.

It was the only thing i really needed!!! :((((