Tronical Tune

Started by Elantric, May 08, 2012, 10:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utensil

Just noticed this on the site FAQ:

24. Is there a port on the device to allow the user to flash firmware updates through?

Yes. The programming adapter will become available with the new firmware.

So I guess the adapter will have to be purchased separately at a future date.

Elantric

QuoteI imagine even custom heads could be supported with a configuration utility

No - the restriction "hurdle" is duplicating a 6 layer custom PCB that actually matches your desired guitar's headstock Tuner arrangement and physical location.

If your guitar does not 100% exactly match one of the existing Tronical Tune types ( as seen in this PDF doc) 
http://www.tronical.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/TronicalTune_PCB_Template.pdf

You are out of luck.

mbenigni

I'm going to assume my Parker Fly is right out.  :P

Elantric

QuoteJust noticed this on the site FAQ:

24. Is there a port on the device to allow the user to flash firmware updates through?

Yes. The programming adapter will become available with the new firmware.

So I guess the adapter will have to be purchased separately at a future date.

The good news is this product spent the past 18 months in beta testing and the current firmware is fine. 

Elantric

QuoteI'm going to assume my Parker Fly is right out. 
If your guitar headstock tuner arrangement is not depicted on this document - then Tronical Tune Will Not Work for you.
http://www.tronical.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/TronicalTune_PCB_Template.pdf

Last year I offered my services to design Tronical Tune headstock PCBs for a wider variety of guitar, like a PRS, or Line6 Variax  - but no word yet.

Just a reminder, a Fender USA Strat headstock  / Tuner dimensions do not match a Mexican Strat or China Squire Strat.

So I advise caution!

utensil

Quote from:  Elantric on May 15, 2013, 09:40:40 AM
The good news is this product spent the past 18 months in beta testing and the current firmware is fine.

Yes this is true,  I don't see any need to change firmware as it works perfectly. I would only buy the adapter at a future date if a substantial new feature is added to a future firmware.

mbenigni

QuoteIf your guitar headstock tuner arrangement is not depicted on this document - then Tronical Tune Will Not Work for you.... So I advise caution!

I was completely joking.  :)  There's pretty much nothing to a Fly headstock.  (Steinberger L series would have made for a better joke, maybe.)

Elantric

QuoteI was completely joking.  :)  There's pretty much nothing to a Fly headstock.

Actually I would not be surprised if the Tronical Tune for Strat might just bolt right on a Parker Fly

True it might be ugly and reveal the backside of the PCB when viewed from the front - but it might work

oddguitar

Quote from:  Elantric on May 15, 2013, 09:42:54 AM
If your guitar headstock tuner arrangement is not depicted on this document - then Tronical Tune Will Not Work for you.

Last year I offered my services to design Tronical Tune headstock PCBs for a wider variety of guitar, like a PRS, or Line6 Variax  - but no word yet.

Just a reminder, a Fender USA Strat headstock  / Tuner dimensions do not match a Mexican Strat or China Squire Strat.

So I advise caution!

Hmmm...according to the Tronical website, the Type C system works for both US & Mexican Strats according to the template....what gives?

I may actually put a Tronical on a G5 or US-made G5A, then I'll have access to guitar modeling as well as the one thing that is missing from the V-Guitar...custom tunings.

-oddguitar

Elantric

QuoteHmmm...according to the Tronical website, the Type C system works for both US & Mexican Strats according to the template....what gives?

I believe this an error, because MIM Strats definitely are different from USA Strats. Use Tronical Tune "C-1" type for MIM Strats !

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Tuner_installation/Tuner_Drill_Jigs.html

Fender USA Strat/Tele String Post Spacing is 15/16" (.9375") = (23.8125mm)

Tronical Tune Strat String Post Spacing is .96" = (24.4mm)

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/361889-good-way-drilling-tuner-holes.html

MCK

Are they using different motorized tuner heads compared to those installed on the Darkfire? I don't think I ever noticed this issue on the Darkfire. I believe those tuners do have a mechanical brake builtin such that a back slip is never possible unless you strip a gear or something.

Do you recall some early slipped tuning issues we faced on the Darkfire? These were resolved when you published a document outlining proper way to string these guitars? I'm wondering if they are facing the same issue with the product now.

Wow! Those Gibbys are really not making much $ for HJ are they? Amazon price is only a little more than the standalone Tronical Tune product price.

Elantric

QuoteAre they using different motorized tuner heads compared to those installed on the Darkfire? I don't think I ever noticed this issue on the Darkfire.

YEs - completely different. Our Dark Fire's use Tuners designed by Tronical  - but built in Switzerland to a tight specification.

The new Tronical hardware since 2012 is now built in house with their new German production line.(which now that I own a new Gibson with Min-Etune, I can say these seem similar quality to the Dark Fire tuners IMHO.

QuoteDo you recall some early slipped tuning issues we faced which then was resolved when you published a document outlining proper way to string these guitars? I'm wondering if they are facing the same issue with the product now.

I Totally remember that, but there are reports of recent Min-ETune systems that are out in the wild on  2013 Gibson's that have issues with gear slippage  - and string slippage if not strung properly with a tightened tuner Lock.  Firmware with increased reverse holding torque curves might solve this - as we could adjust this variable with our Dark Fires,(See "Run Time Correction" in Dark Fire Owners manual) )  but they removed user adjustable functions in the the "one size fits all" Tronical Tune / Gibson Min-Etune. The Tronical Tune  USB hardware adapter to obtain firmware updates via USB cable is not generally available. 

QuoteWow! Those Gibbys are really not making much $ for HJ are they? Amazon price is only a little more than the standalone Tronical Tune product price.

I got a price quote from Sam Ash for $678 for a Gibson SG with Min-Etune - almost went for it, until I read more bad reviews of the Min-Etune system  - but after sleeping on it - I decided to go for it, and order one after they came down to $645 on Amazon.

Ive been bending strings more wildly than Michael Bloomfield on my new  Gibson SG with Min-Etune all afternoon, no signs of Gear slippage. I have to chalk it up to newbie pilot errors for those bad Amazon reviews and the fact the Gibson final assembly line in Nashville still does not know how to install strings on Robot guitars ( mine came with 4 wraps on each tuning peg, when we know these systems rely on one half wrap max  - for tuning stability with the locking robo tuners     

oddguitar

I have a Tronical Type C on my John Mayer Strat & I don't have any string slipping issues....it's actually quite cool.

-oddguitar

Elantric

Im owing early reports of gear slippage to pilot error on using Tronical locking tuners.
I ordered a new Gibson SG with the similar Min-Etune system and report next week.

Elantric

Elantric

MCK

Quote from:  Elantric on December 24, 2013, 02:10:19 PMIve been bending strings more wildly than Michael Bloomfield on my new  Gibson SG with Min-Etune all afternoon, no signs of Gear slippage. I have to chalk it up to newbie pilot errors for those bad Amazon reviews and the fact the Gibson final assembly line in Nashville still does not know how to install strings on Robot guitars ( mine came with 4 wraps on each tuning peg, when we know these systems rely on one half wrap max  - for tuning stability with the locking robo tuners 

Great news for Tronical then. Those bad reviews can sway decisions for even the most well informed. Glad you gave it a shot.

Elantric

The reports of gear slippage have been removed from other Amazon reviews after those early adopters new to the technology contacted Gibson and realized the problem was locking tuners not properly clamped down securing the string.

I admit what Tronical has accomplished with this recent Tronical Tune design is fantastic, 100% reversible and an order of magnitude smaller than the tech in our Dark Fire guitars however I do observe a dialed in Dark Fire will go from Open E to Open G in less time , only one strum required - while Tronical tune takes a bit more time. Also you must be sure nothing is rattling on the guitar. I had a spring under a P90 that was sympathetically vibrating causing errors for the headstock vibration sensing transducer, that made tuning the B string in standard tuning problematic.

My new 2013 Gibson SG 50's Tribute with electronic tuning is a steal @ $645, even with the paint job that reminds me of something out of a Jr. H.S. wood shop class project. I might balk if I had to pay the $1200 original street price. Mostly because to me I remember when new made in Kalamazoo Les Paul's sold for $500, and used immaculate '63 SG's were $200 all day long I even once purchased a '60 Melody Maker (Joan Jett style - but immaculate original for $60 in '73! -that had a Much better paint job on it than todays budget Gibsons) - both had great finishes and attention to details - just must admit that was 40 years ago!

The good things are its Nitrocellulose Lacquer - which luckily they are still allowed to spray it in large quantities at a major production line back in Tennessee ( here in California they have tougher restrictions and regulations preventing storage of more than 20 gallons on site.) But lacquer is what was used on all the 50's vintage instruments - at first one might think a nice high gloss finish would be preferred, but  too much paint can kill the tone of a nice piece of mahogany. I'm surprised they found a source that is light and strong in 2013.

But I do have to catch myself when I recommend anything, since I make my own repairs, and can troubleshoot and fix most problems that would stump others.!

whippinpost91850

Glad it's nitro. Just tonally way better then polyurathane or the Polyesther resin Fender CBS used on there guitars. I just saw the price in my shopping cart with purchas in a little while on break. Yes it's nice and convenient to be able to repair, rebuild, set-up and modify your own guitar.
I do miss 225 Parsons st in Kalamazoo, though.

Elantric

Theres never been a better time for Lefties!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=min-etune&qid=1388429830&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Amin-etune&sort=price

Someone at Harmony-Central Electric Guitar Forum suggested for right handers to just buy a left handed SG for $597 while they are cheap.

As I said - in the next few days I'm rather confident mine (which is currently at $819) will drop back to the $650 range for a brief few hours.   

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Tribute-Min-ETune-Vintage-Guitar/dp/B00ADQS0IA/ref=sr_1_29?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1388430180&sr=1-29&keywords=min-etune

whippinpost91850

Decided to order the Sunburst SG, wanted a Cherry but missed out on those and decided i didnt want another black guitar. Can't wait to try it out.

Elantric

QuoteDecided to order the Sunburst SG, wanted a Cherry but missed out on those and decided i didnt want another black guitar. Can't wait to try it out.

Has your new Gibson with Min-Etune arrived yet?

whippinpost91850

It's shipped but won't arrive untill Monday. Getting Antsy should have just ponied up for the shipping or did Prime

Elantric

I was able to spend time yesterday with Toni DaRosa of Tronical and learned some tips to improve  / reduce the "tune times" of the Tronical Tune system.

Big tip #1  -skip the Gibson Min-ETune docs  - head to the source at Tronical and read the complete manual

http://www.tronical.com/tronicaltune-manual-english/
TronicalTune Manual Version 2.12 
http://www.tronical.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/TTL_Manual_2.12eng.pdf

Elantric