Fender-Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster question

Started by Bill Ruppert, January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

( . )( . )

I purchased a basically unused GC-1 for a great price a few days ago. I got to run it through its paces with my GP-10 in a band setting today. Overall, it is solidly built and I like the control layout. It does seem darker than my american Strat with the GK-3 external. I only used the GK pup and a blend, so I can't say much about the stock pups l, but I'm sure I'll want to swap them.The GC-1 is set up with 9s, so I'll switch it over to 10s when I need a string change. No tracking issues to speak of...a bit less bass response on on the low E and A...needs some internal tweaking/10s/posibbly pickup adjustment.

I concur that the trem is crap...it's got to go. I'll try to string it with the locking method when I put the 10s on, and I expect it to be somewhat better, but I highly doubt it'll be good enough. It's probably time for a bladerunner...

vtgearhead

I'm getting really tired of the OEM Mexican strat pickups on my GC-1.  Looking for something with a fatter sound on the high-E and B strings, particularly above 12th fret.  I play mostly R&B and classic rock, no shredding or highly-overdriven sounds here. Would be curious what's worked out well for other folks.

Update: No responses, so I took a leap and ordered a set of Seymour Duncan "Five-Two" strat pickups.  Supposedly these are designed to minimize shrillness on the upper 3 strings, which is my overall goal.  Will let folks know how this works out.

vtgearhead

I have installed the Seymour Duncan 5-2 pickups in my GC-1 and spent a day or two fiddling with adjustments and playing.  Bottom line:  I'm very impressed.  Might as well be a different guitar.  Never realized just how bad the OEM pickups were. The 5-2s have a crystal-clear and sparkling low end with improved thickness on the high-E and B string - particularly in the upper register (one of the big problems with original PUs).

Ended up dialing back the treble on all my patches and am very happy with the results.

admin

https://web.archive.org/web/20050204034614/http://www.volumebuster.com:80/
Stratocaster Volume knob guard

- aids to eliminate the accidental contact with the Vol knob during solos 

or

DIY

https://menga.net/volume-knob

How to add guitar volume knob tension the easy way

Regardless of what electric guitar you own, sometimes loose knobs happen, and this is the easy way to fix that.

When I say "loose knob," I'm not talking about the nut that holds the potentiometer in place, as the fix for that is to simply tighten the nut. Rather, I'm talking about when the turning tension has very little resistance where you need to add tension.

The knob that almost always develops this issue is the volume control because that's the control used most on an electric guitar.

The poor man's method using stuff around the house
As seen in the above photo, all you need is matte tape and a knife.

Take off the volume knob, add a few layers of tape

Cut off the excess tape:

Cut a hole in tape for the post to go through:

...and that's it.

Self adhesive felt pads work much better

--

"Volume Buster" - stops volume changes on your Strat mid solo
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/strat-volume-knob-relocation.1049089/

There used to be a guy in Texas that sold them @ guitar shows. It's called the Volume Buster and was endorsed by Anson Funderburgh (hope ..

https://web.archive.org/web/20050204034614/http://www.volumebuster.com:80/

QuoteThis, I believe, was called a "Volume Buster".
It was set to be marketed about 10 years ago, endorsed by Anson Funderburgh.
I had contacted the company, just saying how good an idea it was, and the owner sent me one to try if I would comment on their website. It has "Patent Pending" engraved on it.
They never went anywhere, I guess.
This one was designed for a Strat. He asked what changes I would make, I said to cut a small window through it so you could see the number on the knob. Took about 2 minutes to install.
He planned different versions tor Speed Knobs and Tele Knobs.
I still use it. Easy to reach around with a pinky.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/22040-device-protect-volume-knob-my-fat-hands.html

vtgearhead

My GC-1 is made out of sound-absorbing wood.  Although I like the 13-pin function, it's the deadest sounding conventional strat I've ever played.  I'm not able to find any aftermarket bodies that are pre-routed for the GC-1 guts, so I thought I'd ask for recommendations here.

One idea was to get a Warmoth body with both front & rear routing, front 1/4" pocket and bottom edge bore for 13-pin jack.  I'm not sure if they'll do that combination, since it removes a lot of wood.  This would still require a bit of routing below the bridge PU to clear the GK pickup, but that would be completely covered by the pickguard so less critical.

Alternately, does anyone know a _reputable_ luthier who could conjur up something suitable?  I can handle all the electronics if someone competent does the wood and finish bit.

admin

If you need a livelier guitar disassemble (take pics) and strip off that tone sucking  Polyester finish off the guitar strip it down to bare wood get some tung oil and you'll have a much better sounding instrument in my opinion also those Mexican pickups are very lifeless swap the pickups first.

And cover the basics get your Frets professionally leveled and Polished change of the strings pay attention to the bridge tremolo setup is it floating is it locked down all these contribute to the sustain and tone  of the guitar

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21133.msg168437#msg168437

whippinpost91850

I couldn't agree more with Elantric.  Poly will suck the life out of about anything. And certainly the pickups don't help

aliensporebomb

Contrarian approach: I love poly.  I find what has a much more direct connotation is the neck to body pocket fit.

Have you doublechecked the body to neck joint to make sure the neck is fitting in the pocket properly? 

Also, my strat got noticeably livelier when I added a Supervee bladerunner trem and it also lost several pounds of weight by doing so.  The internal pickups weren't over-the-top amazing but they didn't suck either.   But I mainly use the GK pickup for most of what I do with it although "new interface" on my last record was the actual internal pickups only so.....
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumbo

...and if it becomes the opportune moment to swap out the Roland 13-pin doorstop jack for one that only requires a 5/8 inch round hole.....

;) ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

vtgearhead

Quote from:  admin on November 04, 2018, 07:01:42 AM
If you need a livelier guitar diassemble (take pics) and strip off that tone sucking  Polyester finish off the guitar strip it down to bare wood get some tung oil and you'll have a much better sounding instrument in my opinion also those Mexican pickups are very lifeless swap the pickups first. .

Pickups are already updated to Seymour Duncan units :-).  It helped, but not as much as I was hoping for. 

vtgearhead

Quote from:  aliensporebomb on November 04, 2018, 06:52:24 PM
Contrarian approach: I love poly.  I find what has a much more direct connotation is the neck to body pocket fit.

Have you doublechecked the body to neck joint to make sure the neck is fitting in the pocket properly? 

Also, my strat got noticeably livelier when I added a Supervee bladerunner trem and it also lost several pounds of weight by doing so.  The internal pickups weren't over-the-top amazing but they didn't suck either.   But I mainly use the GK pickup for most of what I do with it although "new interface" on my last record was the actual internal pickups only so.....

My regular tech put threaded inserts into the neck heel and it is seated about as solidly as one could wish.  I replaced the stock trem with a Babicz aluminum system which, again, helped a bit.

My gen-u-ine US strat goes "boing" when you pick hard.  The GC-1 still says "mmmffff".

I've contacted a couple of places about custom CNC routing of a Warmoth (or other high end) body.  Will let everyone know what I find. 

The guitar weighs a ton as well, so another reason to pursue a new body.  Stripping the finish isn't going to help much with that.

vtgearhead

Quote from:  ES-335 on November 05, 2018, 06:44:19 AM
I have heard many complaints about the GC-1. When I owned one, I took it to a luthier for a fret level, and he said the thing was like playing a piece of cardboard.  I don't know what they did to those guitar bodies--perhaps they weren't properly cured. There are a lot of bad ones in the wild. You may want to buy a kit from Anderton's https://www.andertons.co.uk/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit and install in your guitar of choice. Carvin sells guitar kits https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/kits/gk1p that would be a good candidate for a GK Kit.

LOL!  "Playing a piece of cardboard.." sums it up nicely.  Whatever wood it's made of has all the resonance and character of a kitchen sponge.  Buying a GK-3 kit still puts me back in the position of needing to find a properly routed body or paying someone to do this for me.  Would appreciate references for luthiers with a track record in this endeavor?  Again, I only need someone to handle the wood, finish and pickguard mods.  I can deal with the electronics.

whippinpost91850

After about 1969 Fender used to seal the bodies with a 2 part  polyester (fiberglass) resin so they could have a smooth surface to paint. Than they painted it with thick POLYURATHANE paint

That's like throwing a blanket over any resonant body

timestop

Hello and sorry for my English.
I wanted to change the gc1 (last model with 22 frets) pickguard. I buyed a fender stratocaster pickguard and I unmounted the original. I was surprised to see that S1/S2 buttons are glued to the pickguard so I cannot unmount it completely !!!

Do you knows how it's possible to unmount/remount these buttons?
And because the little blue wire was disconnected someone has an image to see wires scheme ?
As a last chance because I just have to make buttons holes on new pickguard which switches could I mount on it instead of the original buttons!? And how I have to connect cables ?

Thanks to all

P.s. now I cannot remount strings.... I could have problems at the fretboard if I leave it without strings for a few days or weeks?

vtgearhead

Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on November 05, 2018, 09:43:14 AM
After about 1969 Fender used to seal the bodies with a 2 part  polyester (fiberglass) resin so they could have a smooth surface to paint. Than they painted it with thick POLYURATHANE paint

That's like throwing a blanket over any resonant body

Yes, but as a counterexample I have a circa-1989 "American Standard" strat with the same black resin finish that is very resonant. 

I heard back from the folks at Warmoth and they may be able to accommodate everything except the custom routing for the 13-pin pickup.  Since that will all end up under the pickguard, I'm fine with having someone local do it.

GuitarBuilder

The GC-1 body should be made of Alder.

I think you'll end up spending a LOT of money on the Warmoth body replacement and not get the "liveliness" you want.  I also don't think the finish is the issue.  I'm concerned that your "regular tech" is not stepping up and helping you troubleshoot this properly - threaded inserts are not the answer to get a proper neck fit.  It's not entirely clear to me what you mean by lively, although I take it to include sustain?  What strings are you using?  It's also entirely possible that the frets are not suited for your fingers and style.  How about the nut?  Did your tech check that?  The tuners?  Finally the neck itself - it's a lot cheaper and easier to swap that out.

My GC-1 sounded fine right out of the box.  Sure I replaced the pickups, but mostly because I wanted noiseless ones.  I think you need a better tech!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

fnabdog

Looking to buy a GC-1 Black/Maple - I am UK based.
Anybody selling one in top condition?
Thanks

FreeTime

Lately the volume on my GC-1 would fade and become thin and brittle sounding on some patches. It only happens intermittently with patches that use the mag pickup. Turns out it was the 1/4" Jack; when you plug in a regular 1/4" cable it opens a contact in the jack to re-route the signal. I think its called a shorting Jack. I only use the guitar with a 13-pin cable so it was a bit of a surprise.

I used a bit of cardstock to clean the contact being careful not to get bits of paper stuck and gave it a shot of contact cleaner, things are back to normal.

admin

Quote from:  FreeTime on April 07, 2020, 03:42:56 PM
Lately the volume on my GC-1 would fade and become thin and brittle sounding on some patches. It only happens intermittently with patches that use the mag pickup. Turns out it was the 1/4" Jack; when you plug in a regular 1/4" cable it opens a contact in the jack to re-route the signal. I think its called a shorting Jack. I only use the guitar with a 13-pin cable so it was a bit of a surprise.

I used a bit of cardstock to clean the contact being careful not to get bits of paper stuck and gave it a shot of contact cleaner, things are back to normal.

Gk 13 cable maintenance tips
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

Boydie

Hi all

I need some advice from the gurus on this forum...

I currently have a '93/94 Fender Jap Strat 50s reissue that I had a Roland internal GK pickup fitted to

I now only use the MIDI for home recording and not for live use at all

I found the black GK pickup a bit uncomfortable to play and never really liked the look of it

I managed to score a GC-1 pickguard with the white Roland pickup, which looks like it will be much more unobtrusive so I can use the guitar as a "normal" guitar when playing live

My question (finally!) is....

As I don't need the 2 push buttons or toggle switch would I be able to just install the pickup (with electronics and 13pin socket) but disconnect ALL other controls? - so the guitar looks stock apart from the extra pickup

If all controls are disconnected will the pickup, via the electronics, still output a signal on the 13pin connector to drive my Roland guitar synth so that I can record MIDI at home?

Brent Flash

Boydie

Thanks Brent Flash

I will get round to a proper intro - I just needed this urgent advice as I need to get cracking on changing the pickups!

jon_bondy

The switches and buttons are only used to modify a preset.  If you are happy with not being able to select a pickup or alter a parameter, then not having the switches and buttons will not affect anything.  You are good to go.  If you want to verify this, just disconnect the switches and buttons from your current setup and make sure that you're happy.

Good luck!

Jon

admin

Quote from:  jon_bondy on May 19, 2020, 11:26:26 AM
The switches and buttons are only used to modify a preset.  If you are happy with not being able to select a pickup or alter a parameter, then not having the switches and buttons will not affect anything.  You are good to go.  If you want to verify this, just disconnect the switches and buttons from your current setup and make sure that you're happy.

Good luck!

Jon

But the GK Vol pot is crucial

If you omit that , the connected GK processor will make no sound 

On a Strat, most rewire for a master Tone control on stock PUs, then use the available third knob as a GK Vol pot

Boydie

Absolutely awesome

Thank you so much

So in theory you think I can take out the selector buttons and small toggle switch BUT I need to retain the hex pickup volume for it to work - which is luckily the 2nd tone pot so it will still have the stock look I am after

The GC-1 scratchplate has only just arrived so I haven't hooked anything up yet

Great idea about having a master tone control for all pups 👍

Thanks all