Roland CUBE-80XL

Started by mikelara, December 31, 2011, 08:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapantalambda

Guys, thank you for all your prayers and intercessions. I'm proud to announce to you that I have bought a 2nd hand Roland 80XL already. ;) it was long but it was worth the wait. grabbed a steal on this unit for 250 only. still in mint condition.

now to resume my learning of the GR55. :)

Elantric

Ive become a "Cube" Amp collector

I now own several - i find the 2009-2011 CUBE-80X / CUBE-80XL models have wider range speakers with extended high frequencies that go up to near 10kHz and work ok for Guitar Synth use.

The very latest "CUBE-80 GX" model has a very different duller sounding speaker "voiced" to reproduce traditional Electric Guitar Amp Speaker frequency response (75Hz to 6.5kHz)  my ears detect the latest CUBE-80GX speaker  never goes above 6.5kHz, which means it works smoothly to reproduce traditional electric guitar amp tones  - but a few folks complain the "CUBE-80 GX sounds "dull".

I would never make that statement for my 2010 CUBE 80XL, which can get pretty bright sounding

while the  Roland Cube Street EX benefits from the pair of HF Horn tweeters to cover higher frequencies  - with flatter frequency response compared to any of the above mentioned Cubes. 

But if you need to play loud gigs with a small package , its tough to beat the versatility of the 2009 to 2011 CUBE 80XL - use two for stereo!

Elantric

Elantric

http://guitarkitbuilder.com/our-mailbag-repairing-roland-cube-80xl/
From Our Mailbag: Repairing a Roland Cube 80XL
Jeff Bollettino | December 21, 2011 | 1 Comment

Repairing a Roland Cube 80XL

Quote"Hi GKB, I know you are featuring work on the micro cube but wonder if you would have a thought regarding a problem I'm having with the COSM switch on my Roland Cube 80XL. The switch doubles as a tuner which works just fine, but after a bumpy ride to a gig, the amp model stays on the same amp in all positions (seems to be stuck on black panel). No outer evidence of any damage and I have only had the amp for a few months. Any suggestions would be helpful as I am not able to get the amp in for service with Roland.
Thanks,
Doc

Doc, we're happy to try to help diagnose the problem but we need some clarification. How do you know you're having a problem with the COSM switch? In the owner's manual there is a Tuner switch, a "Select" switch, and the rotary knob for the different COSM sounds. The select switch changes between the clean lead channel and the COSM effects I believe. You're saying that the tuner switch is working. What happens with the select switch – does it change between the clean lead and the COSM effects (which you say is stuck on Black Panel)? With the tuner on, try the manual tuning mode – does the rotary knob work in terms of changing the string being tuned?

Couple of other things – make sure there is no footswitch plugged in, since this interacts with the rotary knob setting. Also, do a factory reset to make sure that the solo feature is not getting in the way.

To do the factory reset, Hold down the [TAP/STOP] switch and the SOLO [ON/OFF] switch at the same time and switch on the power. The SOLO indicator blinks and the settings saved with the SOLO function are returned to their factory defaults.

Let us know what you find.

* * * UPDATE * * *

Doc writes back:

Quote"Thanks for your help. I reset to factory settings and things seem to be in order – when all else fails, read the manual !
Thanks again, Doc"
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/CUBE-40_80XL_OM.pdf
Category: The Repair Bench[/i]

Elantric

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/CUBE-40_80XL_OM.pdf

Page 10

Important Notes When Using a Latch-type Footswitch Pedal
The on/off state of the footswitch pedal takes precedence over the
control panel for switching EFX, delay, or reverb on and off .
However, the on or off states of EFX, delay, or reverb stored in memory
using the SOLO function take precedence when saved SOLO-function
panel settings are called up. Such cases may result in conflicting
indicator displays on the control panel and the footswitch pedal, but
this is not a malfunction.
Convenient Applications
You can use either of the following settings to control operation when
the panel settings for EFX, delay, and reverb are called up using the
SOLO function.
Foot switch priority mode
Make the on/off state of the footswitch pedal always take priority.
To make the setting:
Hold down the [SELECT] switch and switch on the power.
Memory priority mode (factory setting)
Make the on/off state saved using the SOLO function take priority.
To make the setting:
Hold down the [TUNER] switch and switch on the power.
Important Notes When Using a Latch-type Footswitch Pedal
The on/off state of the footswitch pedal takes precedence over the
control panel for switching EFX, delay, or reverb on and off .
However, the on or off states of EFX, delay, or reverb stored in memory
using the SOLO function take precedence when saved SOLO-function
panel settings are called up. Such cases may result in confl icting
indicator displays on the control panel and the footswitch pedal, but
this is not a malfunction.
Convenient Applications
You can use either of the following settings to control operation when
the panel settings for EFX, delay, and reverb are called up using the
SOLO function.
Foot switch priority mode
Make the on/off state of the footswitch pedal always take priority.
To make the setting:
Hold down the [SELECT] switch and switch on the power.
Memory priority mode (factory setting)
Make the on/off state saved using the SOLO function take priority.
To make the setting:
Hold down the [TUNER] switch and switch on the power.
*    The changed setting remains in memory after the power is switched Off

Gurbz

Always wanted to try the Rockman XPR preamp and recently acquired one. This analog preamp is designed for full range and I remembered this thread about the cube 80XL with a full range speaker. (Is that a celestion seventy 80?)

I also acquired a cube 80XL and got to test the combination rockman - cube 80xl with my band. The drummer is truly bonzo like: huge kit heavy hitter and the other guitar player is a tube boutique pedal purist with 4x12 cab.

To prevent a 'listening with the eyes' concept I also setup my marshall 2x12 cab and amp on top of it.

Long story short: the band was blown away, the combination rockman - cube cut through the mix even better than the katana head with 2x12 cab while not losing a warm tone.

Efficiency is not the only element in a rock band however: on the one hand even the singer missed some oomph, spread and looks of a marshall stack. On the other hand: this is an ideal good sounding small stage setup, portable and practical.

Being a guitar player on a neverending quest for tone and gear here comes a question:

- What would be a great extension cabinet? ;)

- anybody tried one of these?

https://www.gregsproaudio.com/products/1x12-guitar-speaker-extension-cabinet-for-roland-cube-80xl

I consider a second 80XL for stereo spread and can always connect both 80XL to a stereo marshall cab ;D
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Got a question tough: when connecting an iPhone (yonac etc app) with a line6 sonic port vx what is the best way to connect to cube 80XL?

Mini stereo jack input or normal guitar in? And what is the thought behind it?

For example Katana: I connect the sonic port vx mini jack output to the katana mini in and that works but what if I want to connect to the guitar in?
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

admin

Quote from: Gurbz on March 20, 2019, 12:31:34 PM
Got a question tough: when connecting an iPhone (yonac etc app) with a line6 sonic port vx what is the best way to connect to cube 80XL?

Mini stereo jack input or normal guitar in? And what is the thought behind it?

For example Katana: I connect the sonic port vx mini jack output to the katana mini in and that works but what if I want to connect to the guitar in?

On SonicportVX, Feed its 3.5mm TRS Headphone output into the Roland CUBE-80XL rear 3.5mm TRS AUX Input

Gurbz

I understand but the guitar input has eq options. Why is mini jack connection 'better'?

And: I have 2 XL's.

How do I connect them stereo with mini jack connection?
Grtz,

Gurbz

admin

Quote from: Gurbz on March 20, 2019, 12:47:23 PM
I understand but the guitar input has eq options. Why is mini jack connection 'better'?

Cube80 XL's Rear AUX input is Line Level , and has more headroom  = less distortion

but use what works best for your ears.

admin

Quote from: Gurbz on March 20, 2019, 12:47:23 PM

Use a 3.5mm TRS Split Y adapter- might have to build one and learn to solder 

or
https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/stereo-breakouts/hosa-breakouts/ymm-261/

Hosa YMM-261 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 3.5 mm TSF Stereo Breakout Cable
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMM-261-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O5H

Gurbz

Thanks, now I understand better. A splitter and 2 mono cables
Okidoki.
Grtz,

Gurbz

admin

Or

Use the Sonic Port VX  Stereo 1/4" outputs
and two of these cables - one for each Cube 80XL rear 3.5mm TRS AUX Input

Hosa CMP-110 1/4" TS to 3.5 mm TRS Mono Interconnect Cable, 10 Feet

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-110-Mono-Interconnect-Cable/dp/B000068O3D

Gurbz

Thanks man, that is an interesting cable. I was just in the process of ordering cables :D

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Grtz,

Gurbz

jazzkid74

Today I tried a new approach to see how "flat" i could get the frequency response on my Cube-80XL. I downloaded a free app for my iPhone called "Dynaudio Meter". It sends out pink noise through headphone jack and measures in real time via the built in microphone. The microphone in the iPhone is of course not a measuring device, but good enough to get a usable result. I tried the AUX input and normal jack JC-Clean. Adjusting the tone controls trying to get a kind of flat Frequency response without much success. Then i thought i would try some on the Lead channel just for fun. It turns out that for my 80XL and 80X the Acoustic-Sim with max bass, max middle, min treble and min presence gave me fantastic results. I checked by playing some music through it and was surprised it was possible to get this kind of sound from a 12" speaker. Tried with my GP-10, even better.
If you have a CUBE-80XL or 80X try it!

Gurbz

I have two XL's, gonna try that :)
Grtz,

Gurbz

admin

admin

MrJim65

Hi,
I picked up an 80XL yesterday to run my GR55 through and have read through this thread a number of times for ideas.  So far I've found the best overall sound to my ears is if I run a normal jack from the headphones out to a mini jack to the aux in and then a jack from the L mono on the gr55 to the guitar input on the 80XL selecting the JC120 clean channel.   All fantastic so far but the only thing is that running anything through the aux in on the 80XL seems very noisy with lots of background hum.  If I remove that its nice and quiet.
Any idea why this might be or anything I can do about it?
Thanks, Jim

admin

Quote from: MrJim65 on February 01, 2021, 10:15:45 AM
Hi,
I picked up an 80XL yesterday to run my GR55 through and have read through this thread a number of times for ideas.  So far I've found the best overall sound to my ears is if I run a normal jack from the headphones out to a mini jack to the aux in and then a jack from the L mono on the gr55 to the guitar input on the 80XL selecting the JC120 clean channel.   All fantastic so far but the only thing is that running anything through the aux in on the 80XL seems very noisy with lots of background hum.  If I remove that its nice and quiet.
Any idea why this might be or anything I can do about it?
Thanks, Jim

Eliminate the Aux input Ground loop by inserting one of these

Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black)
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B019393MV2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3%2C5mm+trs+noise+isolator&qid=1612203667&sr=8-1

admin

Quote from: MrJim65 on February 01, 2021, 11:33:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up:-I got one of these as they didn't have that particular one in the UK but should still be ok?
  https://www.amazon.co.uk/VTOP-Ground-Loop-Noise-Isolator-3-5mm-Audio-Filter-Black/dp/B07RFGH5N7/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Ground+Loop+Noise+Isolator&qid=1612207751&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-6

That will work same- and will lower the hum & noise

I tend to only use the GR-55 Headphone out into the Cube80XL Aux In

But if you set GR-55 Guitar Out to support output  of COSM Guitar and Normal guitar- then there is benefit to feed GR-55 Guitar Out into Cube 80 Guitar In -which of course creates a Ground Loop

MrJim65

I have the headphones out to Aux in but also the sound coming from the Left mono out of the GR55 to guitar input on the amp rather than guitar out as this was the combination that sounded best to my ears.   Is this not the best way to do it?

admin

Quote from: MrJim65 on February 01, 2021, 12:51:54 PM
I have the headphones out to Aux in but also the sound coming from the Left mono out of the GR55 to guitar input on the amp rather than guitar out as this was the combination that sounded best to my ears.   Is this not the best way to do it?

Use what works best for YOUR ears and inpires YOU