GR-55 Control Assignments

Started by mbenigni, May 11, 2011, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imerkat

do you have the Floorboard Editor?
page 54-55 of the GR-55 manual
Press edit -> scroll to the Master Tab-> Push [ENTER]-> push [ENTER] on PEDAL/ GK CTL -> scroll to CTL tab-> select function to TONE SW. select which tones you want off/on when the CTL is SW ON. Leave the tones you do not want to control with the CTL off in both position SW OFF/ SW ON.

Craig Feltham

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, and help.....

Unfortunately, it's not that easy, as the actual Normal Pu is already set to off, yet the sound still comes through...the only way that I can turn it off, is by turning down the volume......so what I really need it for the Expression pedal to increase the volume of the modeled guitar, while reducing the volume of the Normal Pu when I press it down, and the other way around when I raise it.

Cheers,
Craig.

Elantric

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GM-70.htm... Both the Roland GR-55 and VG-99 offers extensive capabilities to add expressive control through MIDI continuous controllers. Almost any parameter can be controlled remotely via MIDI, and the user can specify the control range, the polarity, and dial in the exact musical effect they want to achieve.

This video clips steps through a few examples of MIDI control using the Ibanez IMG2010 guitar, and the GM-70 Turbo with the GR-55. I am using the IMG2010 since it offers more control possibilities than any guitar synth controller ever made, but the principles are the same with any MIDI controller, such as a Roland FC-300

Elantric

How to set up an External MIDI Expression Pedal to control the GR-55 Volume remotely

1) Disconnect the GR-55 and set it aside  - we will get back to it later.

2)  Connect your external MIDI Controller with an expression pedal (Many use a Behringer FCB-1010) that generates the MIDI CC#7 (data 1-127)

3) Use a separate MIDI Interface ( I use a cheap MIDI to USB cable) connect to your Mac and launch Snoise MIDI Monitor.

4) Move the   expression pedal  - verify it generates MIDI communication  - you should see MIDI CC#7  or "Channel Volume" (data 1-127) - Write down the MIDI CH (Channel Number)  - there are 16 MIDI Channels - All devices must be on the same MIDI channel or set to transmit  / receive on all channels. But these must match. I'm using MIDI Channel 1 in this example
On the far left below we see the MIDI Data changes over time as we move the External Expression Pedal
Example of Snoize MIDI Monitor MIDI Message activity screen below:
  TIME               SOURCE          Message   Ch    DATA
08:23:10.742   From FCB-1010   Control   1  Channel Volume (coarse)   127
08:23:12.048   From FCB-1010    Control   1   Channel Volume (coarse)   101
08:23:12.055   From FCB-1010    Control   1   Channel Volume (coarse)   98

. . . . .

Now that we have established our MIDI Controller is working - now disconnect the External Expression pedal and now lets configure the GR-55 USer Patch to Respond to the  External Expression Pedal.

5) Connect the GR-55 to your Mac using USB - requires the Roland GR-55 USB Driver is installed on your Mac.

6) Lanuch GR-55 Floorboard Editor, Find a USER Patch you want to use.

7) Enable MIDI Receive - see "RECEIVE PROGRAM CHANGE" = ON ( see screen below)

8 ) Look on the upper right "ASSIGNS"  Click on  "1" - ( could be any of 1-8)  - and Assign 1 configure box open  - match the settings shown in the center Assigement Window
( see screen below)

9) Save the patch or press "Write" twice on the GR-55

10) Shutdown GR-55 Floorbaord Editor, Disconnect the GR-55 from the Mac, and connect your External Expression Pedal MIDI OUT into the GR-55 MIDI IN. - You should now have remote volume control of the GR-55 using  External Expression Pedal.

Note :
For Expression Pedals,  "Moment'" is simply a Roland Term which Roland employs for defining the operation of Expression pedals, or a foot switch  button you wish to only work when being held down, -think of "Moment" as the opposite of "Toggle"

Other gear often uses these terms
Moment = Non Latched
Toggle = Latched

More discussion here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10890.msg79277#msg79277

imerkat

Quote from: Craig Feltham on March 05, 2014, 07:41:22 AM
Normal Pu is already set to off, yet the sound still comes through...

OK that should not be happening, I would check to see if the patch is corrupted by checking other patches but it mostly likely need a factory reset. If you don't want to do that you can also use one of the Assigns under the Master Tab and set it to control the volume level of the normal PU.

Elantric

Post the offending patch that is not cooperating  - so others can review and provide assistance.

gumtown

Sounds like you are using the "Guitar out" port?
Which do you want to use the "CTL" pedal (in post #1) or the "EXP" pedal (in post #3)?
For the CTL pedal option assign the pedal to Normal PU tone level (instead of the on/off switching), toggling between 0 and your preset level.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Elantric

looper

I'm trying to set up a patch with two drum kits, which will alternate the position of the expression pedal.
(CTL is being used in Phrase Looper)

Thanks

Mrchevy

You would do this with ASSIGNS. TARGET - PCM (1 or 2)TONE NUMBER (Drum kits are in the 900's) > MINIMUM - preferred drum kit 1 > MAXIMUM - drum kit 2 > SOURCE - EXP PEDAL > SOURCE MODE - toggle > ACT RGN LO , ACT RGN HI - set according to where you want the kits to change in relation to pedal position. .  You could also use the EXP PEDAL SWITCH for this set up the same way. See how this works and let us know.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

looper

Quote from:  Mrchevy on September 13, 2014, 05:20:14 AM
You would do this with ASSIGNS. TARGET - PCM (1 or 2)TONE NUMBER (Drum kits are in the 900's) > MINIMUM - preferred drum kit 1 > MAXIMUM - drum kit 2 > SOURCE - EXP PEDAL > SOURCE MODE - toggle > ACT RGN LO , ACT RGN HI - set according to where you want the kits to change in relation to pedal position. .  You could also use the EXP PEDAL SWITCH for this set up the same way. See how this works and let us know.

Thank you friend, got some progress.

MarkFromHawaii

I finally have some free time today to play with the GR-55 Floorboard editor.  I've written a few user patches and am trying to write a simple patch using the MOD wah to be triggered on and off with the expression pedal switch.  I also want the wah travel (wah pedal position?) to modulate up (high) and down (low) and this to be engaged when I step on the pedal.  Sounds easy enough but am finding that when I do the assignment (assign 1) target I get one frequency through the travel.  Any advice please?
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

MarkFromHawaii

Found the solution!  Use the PDL/GK selection.  Set EXP Pedal Switch status to off (unless you wan your patch to have the expression pedal default to on) and set the function to MOD switch.  I set the default of the pedal (while the switch is 'OFF') to patch volume.  Then I set the 'ON' function to MOD control and adjusted min and max positions.  Cheers!   
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

spon105

Hello All

I've posted to this great forum a couple of times recently as a relatively new GR55 user - and definitely someone who is a stoneage guitarist and just dipping his toe in the midi water.

I have a problem in that I can't make a patch have one control for the CTL pedal and one for the expression pedal.  Simply, I would like the expression pedal to act as a wah-wah pedal and the CTL pedal to turn on and off a phaser effect.  Now, I can make them do that independently but not at the same time - so the patch will only do the phaser or the wah but not both (I don't mean concurrently but just the fact that I can't assign two different functions to the two pedals).

I've uploaded the patch as I currently have it which has the wah pedal assigned to the expression pedal and that works fine.

Please can someone help by showing me how you also assign phaser to the CTL footswitch as a toggle effect?  It's fine to post the patch back but I'd also appreciate a couple of lines of how you actually did it so that I can try it and see what I'm missing so that I can learn how to do it myself for other patches.

Thanks in advance for any help and responses.

Elantric

1) Download the GR-55 Floorboard Editor

* Gumtowns shareware GR-55 Floorboard Editor: (essential)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

2) Review existing GR-55 patches that accomplish what you seek - and learn how to make your own assignments 

Read

*GR-55 Control Assignments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3868.0

* GR-55 Control Switch - More than 1 function?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9863.msg70789#msg70789

* GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patches (solves the GR-55 long Patch change delay (with mute) issue)
Jim Williams Multiple Assignment Pathes.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5647.msg38806#msg38806
Learn multi-assignments by following all steps outlined here - then edit to suit YOUR needs.

Guitarplayer_10's  GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patch step by step
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7267.msg50612#msg50612

Toby Krebs posted dozens of GR-55 patches he uses at his gig. Each patch uses Multiple Control Assignments for the Expression pedal to allow you to "pan" between rhythm and solo tones withing each patch  - this allow you to use One GR-55 patch per song and circumvent the long mute silence gap that occurs when changing GR-55 patches during a song.   
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8709.0

GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

Fusion

Can get confusing to be sure and without the PC editor software bloody impossible. I find I have to mess with complicated toggles as they sometimes lock up and do not work right. I find it useful to toggle the PCMs on and off and turn the switch assigns all off and start from scratch. It is much easier now. Simple Expression pedal and control switch toggles can be done on the main screen while the 8 assign switch block can take any param in the system and assign it. I found turning the 12 string toggle on and off to be so amazing, like having two guitars.
I looked all over the net for info and was hard to find this site. Some cats have done some excellent work here on getting some tips penned put. I have a huge notebook where I print all this stuff out.
Thanks so much for all the GR lovers here.
This unit is just amazing.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."