GR-55 - Using images to inspire new patch creation

Started by DreamTheory, December 03, 2017, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

Here is a suggestion to inflame your creativity: Try a Pinterest search of rare acoustic instruments to get ideas for patch creation. Having a visual target helps in the abstract world of GR-55 parameters. Rare acoustic instruments have strong personalities, they suggest culture and a time frame, which implies tuning and tonal qualities (http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tunings.htm). There are historic world instruments and unique modern luthier creations (Google Pat Metheny's Linda Manzer guitar).

One of my favorite things to do with GR-55 is to experiment with ways that it can create totally new sounding acoustic instruments (I consider a patch an instrument). We expect a guitar synth to make space ships and lightning bolts to come flying out of the speakers, but what about more subtle, less sugary flavors?

As the GR-55 menu indicates, there are two basic types of acoustic patches: plucked and stroked. The finger picked ones are like lute or harp when played with the fleshy part of your fingers, and like classical when played with fingernails; these work best starting with the nylon or banjo models. The strummed ones are all your zither-y dulcimer-y things; these work best starting with steel or resonator models. Adding in PCM tones with modified parameters like octaves transforms them into strange and inspiring instruments. Increasing the release time on the TVA gives them the kind of sustain you hear when you hold down a piano's sustain pedal or strum a psaltry. How about a droning sitar on the low string only? Or a bit of toy xylophone for a more percussive effect.

It is very difficult to create a believable simulation of a standard acoustic instrument like a mandolin. Pretty much, forget it, and buy a mandolin or call in a friend who plays one. I have actually played GR-55 in bluegrass jam circles, using the banjo model, acoustic bass, and mandolin for background accompaniment, and the old timers were delighted. The live sound and the general fun of the circle disguised the glitches and latency, but in studio they are not credible. Having said that, in studio, if you are not trying to simulate traditional bluegrass band, you can create an instrument that performs something like the function of a mandolin in a mix (inhabits that frequency range).

The more complex and subtle patches do not work in mixes very well. They end up getting drowned out and sounding just like a model with chorus. You kind of have to write music that features the patch and arrange other parts minimally around it.

I find that putting a (physical) capo on the 5th fret helps a lot to imitate a smaller instrument. I still use pitch shifting, but usually by the octave. Spider capo and short cut capo also really help.

Also I find that models like the banjo have such sensitivity to your playing that you can bring them in and out of the mix by how hard you play and whether you use fingernails or flesh. Of course Normal pickups can be blended in using the volume control on the guitar, to the point that the acoustic patch begins to sound more like an effect; but if you keep the Normal pickups low, they add stability to the weirdness.

Try a drop of Crystal Synth in there, and even a smidge of distortion(pedal or amp). I know it seems weird, but real acoustic instruments make lots or raspy overtone-y noise.

I love the "space-y" patches too (the Linn Sitar on the exchange is really far out). This 'thinking acoustic' thing is just another dimension to the vast, still unexplored potential of GR-55.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Mr_Walker

Strange ! :)

I  just opened a new topic for one "rare" instrument, called "tambura" wondering how it is possible to make patch with that sound ! :)

Elantric

Quote from: Mr_Walker on December 05, 2017, 05:43:07 AM

I  just opened a new topic for one "rare" instrument, called "tambura" wondering how it is possible to make patch with that sound ! :)

DreamTheory

Quote from: Mr_Walker on December 05, 2017, 05:43:07 AM

I have little success making fake acoustic instruments that will "fool" anyone, but emulating some of their properties and blending them in various ways results in totally new sounds. GR-55 has been called a "tweaker's dream," and people mean that somewhat negatively, by I unashamedly love tweaking. Exploring acoustic style sounds is a really different approach to synthesis. I amuse myself by calling it "acoustronic" music. Dealing with latency and glitchyness of PCM is the big challenge, but the payoff is an inspiring array of new patches, which are to me like a closet full of exotic instruments.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008