GP-10 - So why so few content "patch creation" wise?

Started by yngwie_m, October 24, 2017, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yngwie_m

Was browsing the patch exchange subforums of the GR55 and the GP10.

Content in the GR55 one is abundant and nicely done by all those that strive.

Content in the GP10 is definitely nicely done by all those that strive but not a large number of topics there.

Did the GP10 not catch with the market?

Did you all just move on to bigger and better things?

Asking as I am mostly a lurker on this forum, but the knowledge and resources contained here are priceless to me, to begin with, and I guess to all of us.

Anyone got an insight? Not venting here, just honestly curious.

Hope I am in the correct subforum, moderators.  :)
I am a bomb tech.If you see me run,try and keep up

rolandvg99

Love my GP-10 for its compact size and versatility, 8 channel USB recording, Guitar to MIDI and moderate power use. The synth section is however a bit of a letdown. Had high hopes for the OSC-synth, but the latency is not good. The wave synth is also too stripped down to my liking. I was hoping for a half VG-99, but it's got more or less a 1/4 of the features from the flagship. No 5-MIDI is also a dealbreaker for many potential users.

The complexity of needing a separate hexaphonic microphone is also a barricade for new users not already familiar with the great features this system has on offer.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

Quote from: yngwie_m on October 24, 2017, 12:14:08 PM
Was browsing the patch exchange subforums of the GR55 and the GP10.

Content in the GR55 one is abundant and nicely done by all those that strive.

Content in the GP10 is definitely nicely done by all those that strive but not a large number of topics there.

Did the GP10 not catch with the market?

Did you all just move on to bigger and better things?

Asking as I am mostly a lurker on this forum, but the knowledge and resources contained here are priceless to me, to begin with, and I guess to all of us.

Anyone got an insight? Not venting here, just honestly curious.

Hope I am in the correct subforum, moderators.  :)

The GR-55 was released in 2011, and it took years to achieve current number of GR-55 patches we share here.

The GP-10 is much younger (2014) - and despite being my current favorite GK 13 pin processor, ( size, Patch change speed, and live use grab & go) the GR-55 with its focus on  Guitar to dual PCM synth still outsells the GP-10 five  to one.   There are far fewer GP-10 users

But heres NINE PAGES of GP-10 patches
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0

yngwie_m

Thank you both for your insights. Never thought that it'd be so outnumbered, roughly 5 to 1. Thinking it's now 3 years after release, you'd think it would be more widely used, but I guess many things happened, technology wise on the electric guitar scene (Kemper, Fractal lineup, Line 6's Helix) and a lot more I guess I am missing.

Had used a Pod XT Live, and then went to VG88, GR55 and GP10 after. Always liked this versatility the GK provides despite the flimsiness and the bad design of the cable and it being prone to being easily destroyed without proper care, let alone the price of all this paraphernalia you need to get the most of the 13-pin technology.

I am guessing Roland's disassociation with the customers and hiding news or future plans (sorry for my syntax here) also has a role as well.
I am a bomb tech.If you see me run,try and keep up

Elantric

Quote from: yngwie_m on October 24, 2017, 01:23:37 PM
Thank you both for your insights. Never thought that it'd be so outnumbered, roughly 5 to 1. Thinking it's now 3 years after release, you'd think it would be more widely used, but I guess many things happened, technology wise on the electric guitar scene (Kemper, Fractal lineup, Line 6's Helix) and a lot more I guess I am missing.

Had used a Pod XT Live, and then went to VG88, GR55 and GP10 after. Always liked this versatility the GK provides despite the flimsiness and the bad design of the cable and it being prone to being easily destroyed without proper care, let alone the price of all this paraphernalia you need to get the most of the 13-pin technology.

I am guessing Roland's disassociation with the customers and hiding news or future plans (sorry for my syntax here) also has a role as well.

Its true there still exists genuine misinformation ( and many troll gatekeeepers on other forums) in regards to the GK 13 cable and what it does

read
How a "13pin MIDI Cable" destroyed the Roland V-Guitar DSP Modeling brand
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0 

http://line6.com/support/topic/9778-me-too-goodbye-line-6-hello-boss-gp-10/
QuoteThe Boss / Roland GK-3 converts your guitar notes into MIDI data, and using a standard 13 pin connection, triggers MIDI audio from one of their devices - such as the GP-10, or the older VG-99, or the GR-55. How it *tracks* is a combination of the installation of the pickup on the guitar coupled with the DSP

The above is flat wrong !

and read how COSM Guitar Modeling  gets ridiculed on many forums by those with no direct experience with the GP-10 / VG-99, and no ears for tweaking tone to taste.
Clay-Man wrote >
QuoteBecause I truly, 100% believe modern BOSS is garbage. They ride on their name and their name alone, but all of their new products are complete rubbish. Their modeling technology is embarrassingly behind times despite them having multiple opportunities to update the modeling section of their products, but it's always the same early 2000's COSM sounding modeling that does not fit anywhere in today's advanced modeling generations which took HUGE leaps to sounding 95% like a real amp.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/roland-gr-55.834143/

Kevin M

The GP-10 is a real bargain, in my opinion. The quality is fantastic in such a small, portable package. Tone editing is very simple as well and it seems to be easier to find a particular sound by just tweaking an existing patch slightly here and there.  An updated version with one more fx block, alt tuning son the synths, and improvements to the OSC synth would definitely be scooped up quickly.

rolandvg99

The misinformation is what annoys me the most. COSM needs a bit more work to get to the Polished land where Line 6 already live. Thing is that COSM can get there, but Line 6 can't leave without help from the outside, althoug I haven't tried the Helix. Haven't tried the Kemper my self, but got first hand experience with Fractal stuff and those feel more organic than Line 6. GP-10 still sound great for what it costs and I belive it's best in class for what it offers.

The major head scratcher is that loads of these COSM haters love the Katana range of amps and goes crazy about it's "sneaky" amps possibilities. These amps are basically a GT-100 with a power amp section, and you can do most of the same stuff going straight from your GP-10 to a tube power amp and a cabinet.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Brak(E)man

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 24, 2017, 09:21:16 PM
The major head scratcher is that loads of these COSM haters love the Katana range of amps and goes crazy about it's "sneaky" amps possibilities. These amps are basically a GT-100 with a power amp section, and you can do most of the same stuff going straight from your GP-10 to a tube power amp and a cabinet.

On a forum I read the other week , " the Katana is great and thank you for the update about the sneaky amps.I think the amplifier models (if they are models) that are installed is really good."
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

alexmcginness

Clay-Man wrote >
Because I truly, 100% believe modern BOSS is garbage. They ride on their name and their name alone, but all of their new products are complete rubbish. Their modeling technology is embarrassingly behind times despite them having multiple opportunities to update the modeling section of their products, but it's always the same early 2000's COSM sounding modeling that does not fit anywhere in today's advanced modeling generations which took HUGE leaps to sounding 95% like a real amp.

This is the one that made me laugh. Theres a demo here on the forum of All Right now using the VG-99 and the original track minus the guitar. Ive played that track for my "purist" friends and its fooled every one of them. Who cares if the modeling tech is from the early to mid 2000's, if it sounds good what needs to be changed? The Nylon patches for the GP 10 here onthe forum are second to none. The demo of them sounds spot on.
   I love the nay sayers. Theyre very entertaining to say the least.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: alexmcginness on October 25, 2017, 04:50:59 AM

This is the one that made me laugh. Theres a demo here on the forum of All Right now using the VG-99 and the original track minus the guitar. Ive played that track for my "purist" friends and its fooled every one of them. Who cares if the modeling tech is from the early to mid 2000's, if it sounds good what needs to be changed? The Nylon patches for the GP 10 here onthe forum are second to none. The demo of them sounds spot on.
   I love the nay sayers. Theyre very entertaining to say the least.

The hurdle is bulk of the "me too"  COSM nay-sayers on other forums are often guilty of being a "status quo" echo chamber" who find solace in joining the fray of folks who believe all Roland / Boss products marked "COSM" are junk, and only capable of delivering a mid EQ focused cocked wah tone  - 100% of the time. 
There remains much mis placed hatred of anything marked COSM among the masses on the internet