VG-99 -> MM6

Started by Prakith, January 10, 2010, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prakith

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to Midi, so be gentle. :D

I have just recently purchased the VG-99 (which is AWESOME) and I have a Yamaha MM6 keyboard. I connected the VG-99's midi out to the MM6's midi-in and I am able to play the piano of the MM6 using my guitar. That, my friends, seriously rocks.

However, when I change the patch on the MM6 (using the MM6's dial), the keys on the keyboard plays the new patch but the VG-99 still plays the piano. Here is the idea of it:

MM6 Patch = Piano
VG-99 plucking plays the MM6 Piano sound

MM6 Patch = Harpsichord

MM6 Patch = Violins

So no matter what I set the MM6 to, the patch that is played via the VG-99's midi connection is the piano.

Does anyone know how I tell the MM6 to play the patch I've selected when Midi notes come in?

My guess is that the VG-99 is sending "Play patch 1" messages regardless of what the MM6 has set, but I don't know for sure. And, if that is so, how can I tell the VG-99 to tell the MM6 to play that harpsichord?

Thanks for everyone's time!

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Prakith!  :)

The answer to your question is probably that you are accessing the combination or multi part of the keyboard and not the single patch that the keyboard is playing. You will need to investigate how the MM6 is set up to receive MIDI. Pay attention to MIDI channels and also Program Change coming from the VG-99. I'll check to see if I have an MM6 manuel to look at if you can't find the solution so let me know how it goes. You may also want to check out a few threads that discuss external MIDI hear. One is here:https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,915.0.html
Here is another: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1107.0.html

Brent Flash

I just glanced at the manuel for the MM6 and it looks like it has tracks that are used to set up multi or performance sounds. Look at what sound is on the track. That may be what you are accessing with the VG-99. Not what you are selecting on the keyboard. Look at page 59 in you MM6 owners manuel.

Prakith

Hi again,

Firstly, thanks a lot for the help! I really appreciate it. :D I read both threads and they certainly have some helpful information that I'll need soon, but they don't quite cover my particular issue...unless I've missed something.

I've gone through the MM6 manual a few times now and am coming up empty. Setting up the performance patches is a GREAT tip since it saves the trouble of searching through a bunch of stuff, but the problem still exists. I think what you may have been going for is to tell the MM6 to be in performance mode so that it outputs whatever is selected in the performance group regardless of input (be it the vg-99 or the MM6 keyboard or something else entirely). I agree with that line of thinking, but I'm not seeing anything in the MM6 that specifies the synth is in patch vs. performance mode. :/

I haven't been using the vg-99 as the patch changer because a) I don't know how (hehe), and b) I was hoping to not have to do that. I'm using everything in studio, so I won't need to do this stuff life or anything.

The ideal would be:

1 - Flip on the "Guitar to Midi" on the vg-99
2 - Select whatever pattern I want from the MM6
3 - Start playing and hear that pattern

I'm probably hoping for too much, but that's what I'm hoping for! :D

Thanks again!

Brent Flash

I am not home so I don't have the manuel anymore for the keyboard, but what I remember, it did not mention much about using the MM6 for a sound source much if at all. Anyway you are probably going to have to change the sound in the track to get it to change from piano. Have you been able to determine if that is the case. More than likely the VG is transmitting on Channel 1 and you are playing the sound in Track 1. I'll need to do a little more research in the MM6 owner's manuel to see if there is any other way to access the internal sounds other than on the tracks. Let me know if you can get the sound to change that way.

Prakith

A bit of good news. I did figure out how to manually change the patches from the VG-99 to the MM6. It goes something like this:

1 - Press "Guitar to Midi"
2 - Enable "Guitar to Midi"
3 - Choose "Patch"
4 - Set Mode to "Poly" (which you can always set back later...I do anyway, it's better tracking for me in mono)
5 - Press -> to go to page 3 of the Patch menu
6 - Adjust the PC knob to whatever number you want to play from the MM6 patch list.

It's not idea, but I'll happily live with it! :D

Thanks again, Brent. You've been a great help and I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be hanging around these boards for quite some time.

paults

Add this step:

7 - Save the VG-99 Patch, so when you select it, it will save the specific patch to be transmitted to your external synth.

The VG doesn't automatically send a "Guitar to MIDI" program change when you change Patches.  You have to specify the external synth patches to associate with the VG patches that use Guitar to MIDI.   

Also:
Make sure you don't have PC MASK turned on in the Global Guitar to MIDI section:

PC MASK (Program Change Mask)
When set to ON, the Bank Select messages
and Program Change messages used for the
GUITAR TO MIDI function are not transmitted
when patches are changed.

bob e

Could I save multiple patches on the Vg-99 with each patch selecting a different external voice?  Say, 10 VG-patches to select 10 different settings from an external soundboard?

Bob E.

Brent Flash

Quote from: bob e on January 11, 2010, 04:24:16 AM
Could I save multiple patches on the Vg-99 with each patch selecting a different external voice?  Say, 10 VG-patches to select 10 different settings from an external soundboard?

Bob E.
Yes

Prakith

Quote from: paults on January 10, 2010, 09:26:44 PM
Add this step:

7 - Save the VG-99 Patch, so when you select it, it will save the specific patch to be transmitted to your external synth.

The VG doesn't automatically send a "Guitar to MIDI" program change when you change Patches.  You have to specify the external synth patches to associate with the VG patches that use Guitar to MIDI.   

Also:
Make sure you don't have PC MASK turned on in the Global Guitar to MIDI section:

PC MASK (Program Change Mask)
When set to ON, the Bank Select messages
and Program Change messages used for the
GUITAR TO MIDI function are not transmitted
when patches are changed.

Great information. Thanks!