New Indio Guitars from Monoprice

Started by Kenmac, August 22, 2017, 09:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenmac

I received an e-mail earlier today informing me that Monoprice now has a new line of electric guitars they're calling "Indio". These seem to be higher quality than the regular Monoprice guitars and as a result are slightly more expensive, but they do seem to have better hardware and they all have very nice quilted tops as well as a heavier duty gig-bag.  You can check it out here: https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=indio%20guitars&category_2=Pro%20Audio%20Series/Guitars&mode=list&brandname=Monoprice
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

admin

The best Les Paul under $230

Monoprice Indio

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610420

Built on the success of the Monoprice Route 66 guitars, these new Deluxe models play and look like instruments that cost much more. The stunning Quilted Maple top makes these guitars works of art worthy of the artist that plays them. We understand looks alone will not make the cut, so we used high quality hardware and electronics to ensure you are rockin' all night and groovin' all day, every day. As always we include a gig bag with your purchase but we increased the padding to ensure this beautiful instrument stays sexy. All Monoprice guitars are setup by hand in Southern California. Setups include having the frets filed so they are free of sharp edges, ensuring that the nut and bridge are properly seated at the correct height, that the strings have the right amount of action with no buzzing, and that the electronics are functioning properly, so you can plug in and play right out of the box! Take center stage and rock out on a Friday night or worship on Sunday morning.
Maple Top: The stunning Quilted Maple top makes these guitars works of art worthy of the artist that plays them.

Built for Performance: High quality hardware and woods ensures that you are always in tune and sounding your best.

Protection: The 10mm thick heavy-duty gig bag protects your guitar from dings and scrapes as you travel.

chrish

Man I wish they had good inexpensive guitars when I was a kid. I remember owning a Lafayette guitar that had a strat Style with about 10 rocker switches on it.

And then there was the used $10 Sears guitar made out of vinyl covered cardboard that got sold around the neighborhood.

admin

Quote from: chrish on August 22, 2017, 10:40:58 AM
Man I wish they had good inexpensive guitars when I was a kid. I remember owning a Lafayette guitar that had a strat Style with about 10 rocker switches on it.

And then there was the used $10 Sears guitar made out of vinyl covered cardboard that got sold around the neighborhood.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Allied-Catalogs/Lafayette-1968-Spring.pdf

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

chrish

Inflation Results

$49 in 1968 equals $348.97 in 2017.

We even had a Lafayette store near us.

The first guitar which I owned which I would consider any good was a Kappa Continental that I bought used.

Elantric

Quote from: chrish on August 22, 2017, 07:18:03 PM
Inflation Results

The first guitar which I owned which I would consider any good was a Kappa Continental that I bought used.
http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2010/02/kapa-guitars.html
Might have been wise to have kept it !
http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2010/02/kapa-guitars.html

https://reverb.com/item/2238878-kapa-continental-bass-and-guitar-set-1969-vintage-rare-sold-together-model-co-vi-co-iv

https://reverb.com/item/2199432-kapa-co-iv-continental-1966-guitar-collection-6-guitars-sold-as-one-group-rare-made-in-the-usa?gclid=CjwKCAjwrO_MBRBxEiwAYJnDLBQLz0hKkUv4ywP1A_4k_xFv6fPd_RNYKapoDLZf_s2duLhB6j51ShoCAUMQAvD_BwE&pla=1

Another "LITE Collection To Go" ("lite" is Norwegian for small) from my large collection of vintage guitars. Once again, I will describe this as another "AMERICANA Collection" since these guitars were Made In America in the 1960's.

In 1999 I began collecting guitars. I focused on buying guitars that I liked but also on those brands that were no longer around, especially those that were Made In The USA. I have named them "Americana" brands.

At the same time, I believe that vintage, and some custom handmade, guitars are still among the best investments anyone can make. Especially "niche" guitars like many of mine. I cannot give investment advice, nor am I attempting to persuade anyone to buy guitars as investments, but can tell you that my guitar collection has increased in value many times over my real estate, stock, and other investments.

But more than that, I think for those of us who love guitars and like to have our own little "stash", yet do not want to blow the grocery and rent budgets, it makes sense to look at these former Made In The USA brands as well as some high quality Made In Japan brands.

To make that easier for beginning, and seasoned, collectors I have decided to begin offering small packages of my guitars for sale as a group that represents the variety of products offered by a manufacturer.

"Guitar Collections To Go"

I have done the work for you:

1. I have found the best examples of a Brand in the marketplace that were available when I was buying them, or as I say, "I only sell the best guitars because I only bought the best guitars".

2. I had my luthier check them out, repair them if necessary, clean them up, and set them up.

3. I found all of the information I could about them to include copies of catalogs, magazine reviews, and forum remarks.

And now I have gathered them in affordable variety collections that are ready to go to your guitar room.

WHY COLLECT KAPA GUITARS?

Once more, a true story of American entrepreneurship in the music industry—the story of KAPA is one that demonstrates the influence that the electric guitar has had on popular culture and music history in the world but MADE IN THE USA brands like KAPA show how the popularity of the burgeoning rock and roll music phenomena carried over to the general population of Americans who wanted to make their own music.

For those wishing to begin his/her own guitar collection, this is a great place to start. These guitars are true pieces of Americana musical history. That makes collecting a lot easier. Also, this is a comprehensive package that is representative of the brand "KAPA" but along a single model line. By isolating on this single model grouping, you are able to make a more definitive statement with your collection. This is a comprehensive collection of the KAPA "Continental" model line showing the different finishes available for this model group.

Current collectors will find this "Lite" collection to be a perfect addition to his/her collection. It fits a great niche for a true "Americana" brand guitar that is extremely appealing in appearance but also rare. Uniqueness and limited supply also go to make a "collectible" more collectible.

What is unique about this brand is that it is a "cross culture" guitar using the extremely high quality of German parts from HOFNER (pickups) and SCHALLER (tuners) with the Tremolo system coming from Japan. All wood came from the USA and all guitars were "built" in the USA.

THIS KAPA COLLECTION. (all are Model# CO-VI, Model name "Continental" six string guitars with tremolo system).

A. Blue Finish (called "Thunderbird Blue "and "Metallic Blue". Condition: "Fair". This is a beautifully "aged" guitar showing its age (50+) with finish wear on back, front, and edges.

B. Yellow Finish (called "Pastel Yellow). Condition is "Good". Finish shows wear with "spots" on the back.

C. Red Finish (called "Candy Apple Red"). Condition is "Very Good" with slight finish wear.

D. Green Finish (called "Ocean Turquoise"-note-these are metallic finishes and show different color tones based on age and wear). Condition is "Fair" with lots of finish dings, scratches, gouges, etc. Again, a great "relic" finish guitar.

E. Sunburst Finish. The traditional three color sunburst finish. Condition is "Good".

F. Green Finish. This is an unusual finish color. More "Green Apple" tone than other green. Condition is "Fair" with lots of finish dings, scratches, gouges, etc. Again, a great "relic" finish guitar.

COMMENTS ABOUT KAPA GUITARS.

KAPA guitars are great playing guitars. These guitars were advertised as having . . "the ultra-thin Kapa neck, truly the easiest playing guitar in the world". These necks were made from Maple wood with Rosewood fretboards.

The body of the "Continental" is a "thin" slab of wood that is offset shaped "like a Jaguar/Jazzmaster". This body, with the bright and loud Hofner "Pix" pickups, give these guitars a strong and clear tone that is unique to this guitar.

What other "brand name" guitars does the KAPA "Continental" compare best to? Perhaps the FENDER MUSTANG or the GIBSON MELODY MAKER.

About the KAPA Guitar Company.

1. KAPA Guitars was founded in 1963 by a Dutch immigrant named Koob Veneman.

2. Mr. Veneman was the owner of Veneman's Music Emporium, a musical instrument store in Silver Spring Maryland.

3. During the early 1960's Veneman made the decision to build his own unique line of guitars. This was the years of the British Invasion and the Guitar Boom and Mr. Veneman wanted his piece of the pie.

4. Many of the guitars in stock at the Veneman store consisted of guitars that were imported from Germany and Italy.

5. The connections with these companies provided him with an excellent opportunity to purchase supplies from overseas manufacturers. His plan was to order guitar parts from European suppliers, assemble them in Edmonston Maryland where the guitars bodies were created.

6. KAPA guitars were at a plant on 46th Avenue in the town of Edmonston, Maryland.

7. The necks, pickups and electronics originally came from German manufacturer Hofner.

8. The pickups used on this Kapa guitar were provided by Hofner. They were the "Staple Nova-Sonic Twin Coil Humbucking Pickups manufactured for Hofner by Franz Pix, Type 511. Later, Kapa had his own "staple" pickups built.

9. Also the bridge, electronics, and tailpiece (tremolo system) were made in Germany.

10. The guitars generally were equipped with two slider switches to control on/off function of the pickups, which is typical of Hofner's design of the 1960's.

11. The tuners were made by Schaller.

12. Veneman named the company after himself, wife and children by using an anagram of their first names. Of course his name is Koob, his son's name, Albert, his daughters name, Patricia and his wife's name Adeline. Later Koob's brother joined the family business.

13. KAPA necks are ultra-thin, which is sort of a '60 thing. Guitarists wanted to play fast and for some odd reason, manufacturers equated this with skinny necks instead of low action.

14. The bodies also were thin in comparison to Fender and Gibson bodies.

KAPA went out of business in 1970 and its assets were sold to MICROFRETS and MOSRITE. It is a small world.

https://reverb.com/item/691333-kapa-continental-1966-olympic-white

Tony Raven

Quote from: chrish on August 22, 2017, 10:40:58 AMAnd then there was the used $10 Sears guitar made out of vinyl covered cardboard that got sold around the neighborhood.
Yep, the early-'60s Silvertones. Weird tubular pickups, non-standard tuners, aluminum nut, wood bridgepiece...

Built by Danelectro. ;D

(Some were leatherette over Masonite.)

chrish

Quote from: Tony Raven on August 26, 2017, 01:52:27 PM
Yep, the early-'60s Silvertones. Weird tubular pickups, non-standard tuners, aluminum nut, wood bridgepiece...

Built by Danelectro. ;D

(Some were leatherette over Masonite.)
and I seem to recall some of those Sears guitars had amplifiers a speaker built into the guitar case itself.

BTW, thanks Elantic for posting that history and the pictures of the Kapa guitar. Fascinating stuff.

And Seeing the picture of that Lafayette guitar was a  trip. I had the four pickup model, but I stripped off the electronics to day glow paint the guitar and never put it back together.

One of my brain cells has a vague memory of actually shopping at Veneman's Music Emporium, in Silver Spring, Maryland.

Lots of dads in the area working for the NSA and their kids didn't know what their fathers did for a living, except some vague cover story. 8) 8)