GR-55 - PCM weirdness

Started by HoosierMan, July 31, 2017, 05:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoosierMan

Hi guys,

I am experiencing some PCM weirdness and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong:

I have two GR-55 compatible guitars.  One with a GK-3 internal kit and the other has the RMC system installed.

The RMC equipped guitar has no problems playing any of my PCM type patches.

However, recently the GK-3 guitar has trouble playing PCM patches.  It plays COSM only patches with no problem on each string.  I checked the string velocity in the GK setup and all strings are responding.  I have cleaned the GK jack and cable connector with no improvement.  The normal guitar pickups work okay too.

Below is what happens when I play a PCM patch on each string.

e:  No sound
B:  No sound
G:  Plays normally
D:  Plays normally
A:  Plays normally from 22nd to 5th fret (D) then no sound
E:  Plays normally from 22nd to 16th fret (Ab) then no sound

shawnb

Are you sure the exact same patch plays differently between the RMC and GK?

Some pcm tones honor true instrument ranges and behave like that.  But both guitars should behave the same.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

HoosierMan

QuoteAre you sure the exact same patch plays differently between the RMC and GK?

Yes, the same patches play successfully on all strings and at all frets on the RMC guitar but not the GK.  I have tried several different PCM tones, to see if there was a difference.  Eg. 368 Trumpet 1, 407 Tenor Sax 1, 128 Bell 1, etc.  Same problem.  I'm stumped.  Like I said, It plays COSM only patches with no problem on each string.  I checked the string velocity in the GK setup and all strings are responding.  I have cleaned the GK jack and cable connector with no improvement.  Ugh!

shawnb

The fact that the RMC plays fine tells you that the GR-55 is OK.

So I think you have to look at all components in the flow...   Things I'd consider:

(1) GK Set.  Is the pickup config for your GK messed up?  Try a new GK config from scratch.  Or try playing your GK using your RMC Set, at least for debugging purposes.

(2) Guitar setup...   Fret buzz often kills note detection.  Do you have any fret buzz on the strings with dead portions? 

(3) GK Pickup.   Is it installed right?  How far is it from your bridge?  How far is the PU from the strings?  Are the strings properly over the mag poles?    Is the pickup touching high E & B due to loose sticky tape?  Can you try that guitar in another piece of GK gear? 

Do you have a 2nd GK guitar to try?   If it works for one & not the other, that narrows it down to guitar/pickup problems. 

Go down to guitar center & get another GK-equipped guitar.  Test.  Return it - unless you like it!  (or bring your gr-55 to GC and try it there...)

Just some things to think about...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

HoosierMan

QuoteThings I'd consider:

(1) GK Set.  Is the pickup config for your GK messed up?  Try a new GK config from scratch.  Or try playing your GK using your RMC Set, at least for debugging purposes.

(2) Guitar setup...   Fret buzz often kills note detection.  Do you have any fret buzz on the strings with dead portions? 

(3) GK Pickup.   Is it installed right?  How far is it from your bridge?  How far is the PU from the strings?  Are the strings properly over the mag poles?    Is the pickup touching high E & B due to loose sticky tape?  Can you try that guitar in another piece of GK gear? 

Do you have a 2nd GK guitar to try?   If it works for one & not the other, that narrows it down to guitar/pickup problems. 

Go down to guitar center & get another GK-equipped guitar.  Test.  Return it - unless you like it!  (or bring your gr-55 to GC and try it there...)

(1)  Will try that.

(2)  Redid the guitar setup and raised the string height and readjusted the GK clearance to 1mm.

(3)  The pickup has been installed correctly for a few years and has not changed.  The PCM tones previously worked fine on this guitar.

I just might go try a GK strat...IF Guitar Center even has one.  Better yet, next month I'll get to go in person to Sweetwater and I might be able to try one there....but....I can't take my GR-55....so that won't solve anything except my affliction of GAS!

stratrat

I've had this behaviour. Traced it down to a 13-pin socket that had partially broken away from it's solder joints on the PCB (which is a really common problem with many Roland devices and not just 13-pin ones). Was still making contact, but not well enough.  I put a dab of glue between the socket and PCB to stabilise it and resoldered all the joints and it worked perfectly again.

Hope that helps...

gumbo

Possibly  (??) worth checking the connections from the GK pickup to the GK mainboard..

There is an 8-pin JST-type connector on the end of the loom from the pickup that transmits everything and it might be worth hitting it with the DeOxit treatment before hurling the guitar over the cliff....

...just maybe..

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

Try a patch backup and then a GR-55 Factory Reset.
A reset has been known to fix allsorts of GR-55 quirks.

Check the GR-55 is not currently in Bass Mode too.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

HoosierMan

OK....I figured it out....or at least fixed it!

I tried door # 1: 

Strangely, the RMC set displayed the same problems.

But, between creating a brand new GK set and redoing the setup on the guitar it seems to have resolved itself.  I noticed the bridge to pickup distances on some of the strings were different than what I had entered in the old set.  So between that and the new set, it is playing on all cylinders again!  Yeah!  (well, a little "yeah" anyway as I didn't get to buy that new guitar! LOL)

shawnb

When you've exhausted all the logical possibilities...

... start trying the illogical ones.