Which K100 settings to get a Les Paul copy to sound like a Stratocaster ?

Started by DugT, August 02, 2017, 08:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DugT

I'm new to electric guitars and amps and I love my Ibanez AR720 Les Paul copy but I'm curious how close I could get it to sound like a Stratocaster and how I could do that using the guitars adjustments and the Katana 100 adjustments? The guitar has Humbuckers with two single coil option switches.

By the way, one of the reasons I got this guitar was for the Humbuckers with the two single coil switches because I thought it would be nice to have a lot of tone flexibility and I thought this would provide much more tone flexibility than a Stratocaster. However, I'm new at this....

Elantric

Quote from: DugT on August 02, 2017, 08:36:53 PM
I'm new to electric guitars and amps and I love my Ibanez AR720 Les Paul copy but I'm curious how close I could get it to sound like a Stratocaster and how I could do that using the guitars adjustments and the Katana 100 adjustments? The guitar has Humbuckers with two single coil option switches.

By the way, one of the reasons I got this guitar was for the Humbuckers with the two single coil switches because I thought it would be nice to have a lot of tone flexibility and I thought this would provide much more tone flexibility than a Stratocaster. However, I'm new at this....

No middle PU on a Les Paul  - so you wont get the popular Eric Clapton Strat Middle+ Bridge PU "quack" tones -
but you have coil taps on your humbuckers  - if you can add a phase switch to your Bridge PU, this also allows you to choose which is the active coil in the bridge dual coil humbucking PU - when the Bridge PU coil near the bridge is active you get a brighter tone, and when you select the Bridge PU coil near the neck, you get closer to the Clapton Strat quack tone.

The most versatile wiring was the old 1980 era Peavey T-60 - and rewiring any Les Paul to the T60 wiring yields a very wide palette of new "non Gibson" tones and accomplishes all I wrote above:

But despite my posts - it appears only a few read  them

If you made it this far I'll share a secret - If you READ THE Katana BTS MANUAL,or the Katana FAQ thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0

-  you would already know the Katana Amp includes a "Guitar SIM" effect with Guitar PU remodeling DSP resources and ability to convert a dual coil humbucker PU into  Single coil tones, and vice versa

RTM

DugT

Thanks, Elantric! You put a lot of thought and effort into your reply. When I posted my question I thought there might be a simple answer like "Select bridge single coil and crank up the Presence knob but apparently it is much more complex.

Maybe I don't have to add a switch to my guitar because both pups already have three way "Tri-Sound" switches.  The switches have these options:

1. parallel-connected humbucker

2. single coil

3. serial-connected humbucker

According to the drawing in the link below, I think the single coil option of the bridge pup tri-switch uses the coil closest to the bridge and the single coil option of the neck pup uses the pup closest to the neck. Wouldn't that be convenient! :-) That almost makes my guitar a guitar simulator.

I attached a picture of how the Tri-Sound switch works. Based on that picture, the switches middle position is the single coil option. Until now I thought the lowest position was single coil. I just played notes and cords on my guitar with the switch in the three different positions and I couldn't hear a difference.  I should stop playing around with all of the guitar and amp knobs and switches and find a good tutorial on guitar and amp knobs and switches. :-)

The GUITAR SYM looks very useful. Today I planned to update the K100 firmware and install Boss Tone Central but first I'm going to try to learn some basics about guitar and amp knobs and switches.

I've read the manual that came with the amp and I've read through the FAQ section but a lot of it didn't sink in because it was and still is over my head but I have made some progress in the 6 days that I have owned an amp.

Thanks again, Elantric.