Katana head..WOW just WOW

Started by lefty Freak, June 12, 2017, 04:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty Freak

Add me to the list of people that are blown away. I just received mine last week with a GA-FC and was immediately impressed but I wanted to reserve judgement until after I played with the band. I'd say I could stay happy just using the crunch and clean amps in it with my helix LT in the FX loop. The band was as impressed as I was with how it mixes with everything and cuts when needed. Boss/Roland hit a Grand Slam with this one. A home run would be understating. I get the "Marshall like" references but I think it has it's own thing going on TBH. I am currently running it through a 1x12 loaded with a 70/80 but plan on either picking up a 2x12 to put my Celestion GH-50's in or maybe the Turbosound loaded Bugera 212TS. Doesnt really need it but I'd like to try it out. Plugged it in briefly to my Eminence Legend loaded Basson 4x12 and it was girthzilla. Will never use that cab live so I tried not to stay plugged into it long as I was falling in love with it haha.

If I had any criticism at all it is that I needed to run the treble really low (around 9'oclock) as whatever frequencies Boss chose for that portion is a bit shrill and ice picky but that could be partially the 70/80 that is not broken in yet. Dialing it back was fine though and didn't kill the tone or make it sound dull at all like some amps will do.

Very glad I chose the head because of the extra features that the combos don't feature. The 5" internal speaker is perfect for bedroom jamming. My favorite crunch channel settings are..

Gain: noon
volume: 3 o'clock
bass: 5 o'clock
mid: dimed
treble: 9 o'clock
all fx off: using a Helix LT for everything else
presence: 8 o'clock
master: 9-10 o'clock
50w mode.

I also did like running the channel volume lower and the master higher but it seemed like the eq section wasn't as pronounced when I did that.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but if you have been on the fence about getting the head I can assure you it is tremendous and you wont be disappointed.

Very happy camper here!  :o :D :D :D

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."  ― Anais Nin

E Beau

I bought the 100-112 and the head. I run the head through a Carvin 212 closed back cab loaded with Celestion V30s and it just sounds wonderful. I also have the littl Jet City ISO cab that I run the head through for quiet recording. I use the head at church run directly into our board via the line out through a Boss direct box. Before they fire up the board, I warm up through the internal speaker. I used my combo for a house party and played acoustic through it and sang through my little pa - two Kustom PA50s on stands. I use a Boss VE1 for vocals. (This is sounding like a Roland/Boss commercial 😀) Any way I sold my nice collection of tube amps since I got the Katanas. Don't miss Em a bit. I also got the foot controller, very handy.

Sounds like you have a nice collection of cabs to experiment with. I found I had to back off the treble a bit using my Strat as well. Using a humbucker equipped axe not so much. Very cool family of amps.

The only amps I didn't get rid of were my Cube amps. I have a Cube 80XL that I play pedal steel through and a Micro Cube that I play everything (except bass) through.