Cycfi Release 13pin output module for their NU pickups

Started by vanceg, May 02, 2017, 10:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarBuilder

I've been able to get items not yet in the store through a simple email request.  Cycfi has been very attentive  and delivered quickly.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

GuitarBuilder

The Nu pickups are back in stock at the Cycfi Research store!

Rodrigo Schwarz

Has anyone tested the NU pickups with a Roland VG-8 (or EX)?
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

cags12

I will be testing them as soon as Codesmart gets GK cables back in stock and they are shipped to me. I just got a GP-10 and the NU+13pin adapter.

vanceg

It works well with the GP-10.  I'm using the Nu pickups with GP-10, VG-99 and the Eventide H9000.  Sound fantastic.  However, I am finding that I like to roll the high end off the NU pickups when using them with the H9000.  With the VG-99 and GP-10, the level from the NU pickups is a little hot - I have to turn string sensitivity down quite a bit relative to a GK-3

I foolishly sold my VG-8 and 88 so I can't say how well it would perform. 

Rodrigo Schwarz

Thanks for the info guys. I sent a message to Cycfi and at the moment they do not have the products. I know they've already stated that they will not manufacture the 13-pin output module as a regular product, but I'll buy it when it's available. It is important that it also work with the VG-8EX. By the performance described in this forum, I think so.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Rodrigo Schwarz on March 16, 2018, 03:44:10 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I sent a message to Cycfi and at the moment they do not have the products. I know they've already stated that they will not manufacture the 13-pin output module as a regular product, but I'll buy it when it's available. It is important that it also work with the VG-8EX. By the performance described in this forum, I think so.

All Cycfi Research products are open source, so you can download the appropriate files from their Google drive and build it yourself!

BladesToyShop

Some folks prefer the plug and play option, if you'll pardon the pun...

vanceg

I have a set of the NUs with the 13pin output available if you all are interested.  I was going to put them into a specific insturment and my plans for building for this year changed (and I had a baby) so I'd love for these to be used by SOMEone.  Granted, Cycfi did announce the NEW NU pickups... so these are now the "old version"  which is a funny designation for them since they are still remarkably new and forward looking pickups.

Elantric

Need and A2B Module

make divided pickup adapter for guitars using A2B technology

GuitarBuilder

Sounds promising; still need A/D - D/A circuitry to complete the link, correct?

admin

matigrob

Quote from: Elantric on October 13, 2018, 02:42:02 PM
Need and A2B Module
make divided pickup adapter for guitars using A2B technology

this would be nice if the effect machine had such a Module, otherwise where would be the conversion to 13pin?
and we still would have to choose a new connector. and the chips are not totally cheap. and other audio equipment uses other standards that might be more interesting to connect to?

matigrob

any newer experiences with the Nu pickup?
I wonder what the appropriate GK settings are... Piezo?
and: the Nu goes down to very low frequencies, does it also need the filter that the RMC needs?

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: matigrob on October 23, 2019, 07:41:00 AM
any newer experiences with the Nu pickup?
I wonder what the appropriate GK settings are... Piezo?
and: the Nu goes down to very low frequencies, does it also need the filter that the RMC needs?

I've used the Nu Multi pickups extensively with GR-55, VG-99, and GP-10.  I found the piezo setting to be the easiest to set up when using my original Cycfi Research Nexus breakout box with Synth-Line GK jack wired directly to the six string signals on the Nexus Main Board header.  In other words, the Nu pickups were not amplified nor attenuated.  A better arrangement was my second Cycfi Research Nexus breakout box, where I installed a Roland GK-KIT as well as six attenuator pots on the string signals.  This setup gave a better amplitude match, still using the piezo settings on the synths.  I use CodeSmart's outstanding GKPX-14 GK Parallel Box with built-in subsonic filter to feed the guitar into all synths at once, so yes, I had the filter engaged.  I can't disable it, so I'm not able to tell you how well it works without it.