Katana -Boss Katana firmware update wish list - Submit your Ideas.

Started by Elantric, March 11, 2017, 11:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sikejsudjek

I'd like them to include a basic chromatic tuner on the ga-fc. Something like long press on tap mutes volume and goes into tuner mode, then use the led's to show flat, in tune or sharp.

rolandvg99

Quote from: sikejsudjek on October 12, 2017, 04:09:26 PM
I'd like them to include a basic chromatic tuner on the ga-fc. Something like long press on tap mutes volume and goes into tuner mode, then use the led's to show flat, in tune or sharp.

Long press tap is occupied by DELAY tap select. Using long press "Effect" looks free atm and your idea is something that should be possible to implement.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

RLD

I've reverted back to V1.02 because the fx chain order seems to be crippled in V2...so that would be fix #1.
#2...a tuner.
#3...when using 2 controller pedals in to the GA-FC, one defaults to volume at the end of chain.
Would like the position of that volume block to be movable.

rolandvg99

Quote from: RLD on October 14, 2017, 04:36:55 PM
I've reverted back to V1.02 because the fx chain order seems to be crippled in V2...so that would be fix #1.
#2...a tuner.
#3...when using 2 controller pedals in to the GA-FC, one defaults to volume at the end of chain.
Would like the position of that volume block to be movable.

The upcoming Primova Sound MIDX-20 firmware might present a solution to circumvent some of these restrictions. I'm more than eager to get my hands on that update. :)

I do also agree on 2 and 3. I would add
4. Free assignment of the three FX panel knobs to your selected parameters.
5. Preset memory for all FX in the preselectable OD/MOD, DLY/FX and Reverb banks.
6. MIDI Tempo sync

vtgearhead

Not that I hold out much hope for a third Katana firmware rev, but it would be great if the S/R loop send stayed active all the time while return toggled on and off.  I need a line output with no speaker sim that can coexist with use of S/R as a poor man's boost.  I find the current behavior very surprising and not particularly helpful.

MeAndMyGuitarStuff

Now that the switch hold is being used to change between banks in the GA-FC, I wish the action would be extended to the FX buttons

Current: When the GA-FC is in Effects mode you can switch effects on or off.

Proposed: In Effects mode. Holding each FX (CH1, CH2, CH4) button could be used to cycle thru the FX colors. Green, Red, Yellow.
This would not apply to CH3 because it does not control any FX. It is the TAP tempo.

It can be dangerous since holding the CH1-4 in Tone Select mode saves the current settings to that Channel.

savage1969

[Long-time reader, first-time poster]

Issue: Cab Sim (on/off) via BTS/System options menu

Current:  "cab sim" is mandatorily imposed via USB, Line Out, and Rec Out (no option to disable it entirely e.g. toggle it off, only adjustments are "air" and resonance within the BTS software)

Proposed:  give us the option to turn off the currently very bad internal "cab sim" so when recording via USB or Line Out one can use either proper hardware loaders, another software loader, or DAW plugin to accomplish a more professional result.

Having purchased the product (100w head) only one day ago I immediately noticed this major firmware setting oversight. The only current resolve I've found is the FX send, but that does not allow the power amp section to be utilized which is far from the best solution.  Please Boss (if you read these wonderful forums), don't keep forcing this bad "cabinet simulation" upon us.  Allow us the choice, please.

BTW, thank you Boss for allowing users the ability to adjust different USB levels and loop back within the BTS software. Great detailed feature for those of us recording in the box.

rolandvg99

Quote from: savage1969 on December 02, 2017, 06:09:05 PM
[Long-time reader, first-time poster]

Issue: Cab Sim (on/off) via BTS/System options menu

Current:  "cab sim" is mandatorily imposed via USB, Line Out, and Rec Out (no option to disable it entirely e.g. toggle it off, only adjustments are "air" and resonance within the BTS software)

Proposed:  give us the option to turn off the currently very bad internal "cab sim" so when recording via USB or Line Out one can use either proper hardware loaders, another software loader, or DAW plugin to accomplish a more professional result.

Having purchased the product (100w head) only one day ago I immediately noticed this major firmware setting oversight. The only current resolve I've found is the FX send, but that does not allow the power amp section to be utilized which is far from the best solution.  Please Boss (if you read these wonderful forums), don't keep forcing this bad "cabinet simulation" upon us.  Allow us the choice, please.

BTW, thank you Boss for allowing users the ability to adjust different USB levels and loop back within the BTS software. Great detailed feature for those of us recording in the box.

The poweramp is post every line/recording/headphone/USB output. V2 is totaly useable compared to V1. Only way to include the poweramp is to run a cabsim from the speaker out of the head or by customizing the combos.

vtgearhead

Quote from: savage1969 on December 02, 2017, 06:09:05 PM

Hear, hear!  It would have been so simple to include a "Disabled" choice on the system page.  Very silly oversight. 

savage1969

Quote from: rolandvg99 on December 02, 2017, 10:59:21 PM

The poweramp is post every line/recording/headphone/USB output. V2 is totaly useable compared to V1. Only way to include the poweramp is to run a cabsim from the speaker out of the head or by customizing the combos.

Good morning. Understood about the position of the poweramp but that's not really the point I'm making to be clear.  Although subjective to the end user, V2 may very well be more usable than V1 but the fact of mandatorily forcing the user to implement the sub-par cab sim is nothing more than a strangulation of choice.  At a minimum the sim should have the ability to be disabled when using USB as an interface into a DAW, for example. 

For anyone unclear of the issue, here's a great A/B test to solidify the point:  (A) USB direct from head into your DAW and record a phrase with your desired patch. (B) Run an FX send lead to a proper audio interface then into your DAW and instantiate a quality IR such as your favorite Ownhammer (for example).  Again, although subjective, I believe one would be hard-pressed to deny the quality difference.  That difference is enormous when laying down tracks imho.  Also note that one could record via USB Secondary 3/4 (direct instrument output rather than through the preamp/fx stage of the head as when using USB Primary 1/2) and then reamp the track but that's not the point either.  The only current choice to bypass cab sim is to (1) utilize the FX Send or (2 and the best overall current solution) capture the head via a load box, but considering we have access to a USB interface directly on the head it's a rather hard pill to swallow in its current state.

If they (Boss) are worried folks might disable the sim by mistake and inundate tech support with calls why the USB interface output sounds like a rabid chainsaw then it would be easy enough to implement a software confirmation/warning when selecting the proposed cab sim disable within BTS.

Just my two cents plus a penny.  Please note that the intent of this reply is not to be snarky or argumentative but rather to just (over)elaborating the issue.

Regards.

Mety

Although it would nice to have the option to disable the cabs I strongly disagree about the "Very bad cab sim".  :o
I love it and I'm very, very happy with it.
Over the years I've used many cab sims including ones by Palmer, Behringer, Mesa, Hughes & Kettner, Two Notes, etc. If it's out there, I've used it.
The one in my Katana is perfect for me. Please do not change it!

bowtomecha

Please include the Adaptive Distortion from the GT100/DA-2. I like the multiband distortion and was hoping it would be hidden in the katana as well. Even cooler would be to allow a crossovered split signal into two different amp/pedals in the katana. This would be great to have somehow.

tacoma

FOR BOSS KATANA 50
-Assign footswitch to ON/OFF effect (like Boss GT001)
-NO dual movement on konb (ie, on the amp, if you turn the knob, move 2 parameters on the tone studio)
-More personalitation on chanel amps (crunch eq)
-A simple tuner

Please, please, please, its the diference into good and great amp.
Thanks.

dazco

1. make the saved settings of each knob knowable via a LED. For example, if i switch to a given patch and want to adjust the treble knob, theres no way to know where it;s set unless u r hooked to a PC. That makes it hard to adjust things at a gig for example because your ears can't easily be trusted and if it's not a good move you want to know ehere it was b 4 u changed and saved it. I'm sure you know what i mean. So why not have one designated LED that flashes when you turn a knob and stops flashing and stays lit when it reaches the setting that is currently save. That would be a great help.

2. allow the single adjustable parameter of each effect that you get at the amp when not connected to pc to be configurable. For example, if i want the LEVEL of the chorus to be adjustable rather then the current default "rate" parameter, i could select the chorus level to be the default parameter available at the amp.

3. Make the simple footswitch jack configurable in tone studio to select your own personal preference as to what they do rather than be only for patch and channel change. Those to things are great for some, but for others like me i won't even used them due to needing a volume solution and because using them causes a delay. I was going to use patch for a volume boost by making ban1 and 2 duplicate patches but with band B being set a bit louder. That would be my volume boost. Then if i could set the other function to chorus on/off i'd be in heaven. But the katana is so crippled by switching options i can't even do that simple thing. And even if i could i'd be sacrificing 1/2 my presets to have a volume boost plus i can't use patch OR bank switching because of the delay, which i guess isn't something that can be fixed. But if you would at least allow programability of the 2 functions i could use one to manipulate a volume boost in any number of ways. I don't need the GAFC with a tone of buttons, i just need 2 simple functions ! The fender mustang allows all that a much more at $200 less. I happen to love the artist's tone tho so i will compromise, but at $600 for a SS amp i shouldn't have to compromise so much. So please consider this, as it would make the map fantastic !

Theres a lot of other things i could ask for but i don't want to ask for the world. But #3 especially would be a god send.

vtgearhead

Item (1) should not be rocket science.  Our Behringer P16M monitor mixers have a very similar (although undocumented!) feature built in.  Makes life simple when you want to figure out the baseline knob positions for a preset. 

dazco

I don't think anything i mentioned would be that hard to implement. But i should have put #3 in the #1 slot because to me at least it's the most important thing. When you pay as much as the artist costs for a SS amp you shouldn't have to pay another $100 for a FS, especially when i and probably lots of others would be fine with a couple good functions that we could choose via preference. I fear however there's not a lot driving boss to implement something that would cause less GAFC sales.

MarcPike

I haven't noticed these enhancements:

1) Add Terra Echo
2) Have the built-in Compressor all the time so that I don't have to use an external or use in FX.
3) Use the GA-FC to control anything especially Univibe, Delay and Reverb

Elantric

Quote from: MarcPike on April 17, 2018, 05:55:25 AM
I haven't noticed these enhancements:

1) Add Terra Echo

Terra Echo exists  - accessible if you use Gumtowns Katana FX FLoorboard Editor

mchad

I don't use the Katana BTS very often so...have Boss added sub divs to the delays yet? And while they're at it...add it to the tremolo as well.

And when they do add it for delays, make them accessible with the on board delay knob i.e at its minimum (fully left) it would be a 1/4 note, then turning clockwise the next sub div is a dotted 1/8, then 1/8, then 1/16th and so on.

Does that sound do-able? And make sense?

Elantric

Quote from: mchad on April 17, 2018, 04:00:23 PM
I don't use the Katana BTS very often so...have Boss added sub divs to the delays yet? And while they're at it...add it to the tremolo as well.

And when they do add it for delays, make them accessible with the on board delay knob i.e at its minimum (fully left) it would be a 1/4 note, then turning clockwise the next sub div is a dotted 1/8, then 1/8, then 1/16th and so on.

Does that sound do-able? And make sense?

Why not download and run on Offline mode  - allows anyone to explore ALL the BTS for Katana settings
https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-head/downloads/

It appears it is only adjustable in 1 millisecond increments, or 1/4 note  via tap tempo switch on front panel ( or GA-FC Foot Switch

mchad

Quote from: Elantric on April 17, 2018, 04:25:03 PM
Why not download and run on Offline mode  - allows anyone to explore ALL the BTS for Katana settings
https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-head/downloads/

It appears it is only adjustable in 1 millisecond increments, or 1/4 note  via tap tempo switch on front panel ( or GA-FC Foot Switch

Thanks Elantric. I pretty much only use sub divs. I have 2 K100s so differing delay times can yield interesting results. Here's hoping Boss release more firmware updates going forward.

Petros_k

Here's what I'd like to see Roland do in their next Katana firmware/ BTS update:

There are three sections of the amp that get stored for a preset: Amplifier, Equalizer, and Effects. It would be great if you could only store presets for one of those sections and the other sections get bypassed so that how the amp is currently set will not be affected. The most obvious example of this is when you want to only engage an Effect, such as delay.

The amplifier section contains a channel volume and gain that will be stored at a preset. Let's say all you want to do with a preset is make the delay turn on with how you set it in BTS. You can't do it without getting the settings that were stored for the amplifier and equalizer sections of the amp. That means if after you've created the preset with the delay you made manual changes to the amp for channel volume and gain (perhaps at a gig) you're going to get a cut or increase in amp output. Obviously, this can be very problematic.

Roland probably could do something like add a check box at each of the three sections of the amp in BTS, perhaps with the word "Save" next to it, then only if you check the box the preset will apply for that section of the amp and however the amp is currently set for the other sections would be unaltered by the preset. The obvious application for this would be if a guitarist only wants to engage the delay/FX without the current volume/gain being altered.

The only way I currently know to do this is to never change the channel volume or gain controls on the amp. Master volume doesn't get stored (thankfully) so it's not an issue. If you always keep the amplifier and equalizer sections the same, and all your presets have the same channel and gain settings, then you can do the equivalent of say only engaging an Effect like delay. But this diminishes the usefulness of the amp. 

gumtown

Quote from: Petros_k on April 26, 2018, 08:56:58 AM
Here's what I'd like to see Roland do in their next Katana firmware/ BTS update:

There are three sections of the amp that get stored for a preset: Amplifier, Equalizer, and Effects. It would be great if you could only store presets for one of those sections and the other sections get bypassed so that how the amp is currently set will not be affected. The most obvious example of this is when you want to only engage an Effect, such as delay.

The amplifier section contains a channel volume and gain that will be stored at a preset. Let's say all you want to do with a preset is make the delay turn on with how you set it in BTS. You can't do it without getting the settings that were stored for the amplifier and equalizer sections of the amp. That means if after you've created the preset with the delay you made manual changes to the amp for channel volume and gain (perhaps at a gig) you're going to get a cut or increase in amp output. Obviously, this can be very problematic.

Roland probably could do something like add a check box at each of the three sections of the amp in BTS, perhaps with the word "Save" next to it, then only if you check the box the preset will apply for that section of the amp and however the amp is currently set for the other sections would be unaltered by the preset. The obvious application for this would be if a guitarist only wants to engage the delay/FX without the current volume/gain being altered.

The only way I currently know to do this is to never change the channel volume or gain controls on the amp. Master volume doesn't get stored (thankfully) so it's not an issue. If you always keep the amplifier and equalizer sections the same, and all your presets have the same channel and gain settings, then you can do the equivalent of say only engaging an Effect like delay. But this diminishes the usefulness of the amp.

Do you have the GAFC pedal to switch the effects/delay/reverb on/off?

What you are asking for seems like a "stompbox mode".
So you want presets/channels with the same EQ and Amp settings, but different delay/effects?
You can do that anyway, by cloning the current channel, adjusting the effect setting then saving to another channel
, the Amp and EQ settings stay at the same tone/level.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Petros_k

Quote from: gumtown on April 26, 2018, 04:33:37 PM
Do you have the GAFC pedal to switch the effects/delay/reverb on/off?

What you are asking for seems like a "stompbox mode".

Yes. I'm aware that the GA-FC footswitch accomplishes this for $99 more. Would be nice if customers didn't need to buy that to solve the problem, but I can see that I am looking for what you called a "stompbox mode." Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the GA-FC you'd only be able to click on and off the FX/delay that's been manually set up in panel mode, right? 

Quote from: gumtown on April 26, 2018, 04:33:37 PM
So you want presets/channels with the same EQ and Amp settings, but different delay/effects?
You can do that anyway, by cloning the current channel, adjusting the effect setting then saving to another channel
, the Amp and EQ settings stay at the same tone/level.

Yes, but then every time I manually adjust Volume, Gain, or EQ I need to "clone" the current panel settings, and I do not find that very practical. Would be much better if Roland would alter Boss Tone Studio so that users can take advantage of 8 presets and save only the settings for the Effects section but the Amplifier and EQ sections remain unaltered by the preset, if that's what the user wants.

Am I missing that the GA-FC footswitch was Roland's answer to what I'm looking for?

Elantric

Quotewith the GA-FC you'd only be able to click on and off the FX/delay that's been manually set up in panel mode, right? 

before the gig - I use BTS for Katana to create 8 separate patches , - each patch has my own favorite array of FX , with my specific settings unique for each patch

At the gig, and on Katana amp, I never touch the Katana 's three FX knobs or fiddle with the RED/GREEN/YELLOW FX options - as touching any of those yield unintended random results. But if I accidentally touch those controls , my  "escape route" is simply change to any other patch , and switch back to my desired patch.     

at the gig i use the GA-FC Footcontroller  - and each patch - I can press the EFFECTS switch on far right, and now I can toggle on/off each of the FX I assigned for the currently used patch

Katana FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0