Katana - Add the missing speaker output jack on Katana Combos

Started by Elantric, November 29, 2016, 10:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Dont make this same mistake!

If ANY Speaker (+) wire or (-) wire touch each other - or Chassis ground while powered ON -  - you fry the Katana Power amp

( BTW - this is true for ANY Solid State Power Amp, and many Tube Power Amps too.

The Katana Head includes a Speaker output jack, to use your own favorite 8 ohm to 16 ohm speaker cab.

The Katana Combo amps do not include a Speaker output jack, so this details how to add the missing speaker output jack for  Katana Combo amps

** IMPORTANT - the Katana Power Amp output requires isolated ground - never allow the speaker output signal (+) or Speaker output signal (-) to make electrical contact with the Katana metal chassis or earth ground  or to each other while Katana is powered ON 

In other words - DO NOT Drill a hole on the Katana metal chassis and mount a metal 1/4" female Speaker jack!

Instead use a plastic jack

or
On the combo It's an easy mod to disconnect the speaker spade lug connection and wire up a 1/4" speaker inline female jack. So you can try other 8 ohm cabs.

But the stock Katana 100-112 speaker is marvelous to my ears.

The head is fine for practice. The MIDI INPUT  (exclusive to the head) is not a big deal. I discovered all KATANA amps support MIDI over USB

The 50 watt is a different animal with reduced features to achieve a low price point.

Quote from: notyalcer, post: 23623955, member: 14500Does anyone know where to get this part? I think I could use this to make an adapter.[GALLERY=media, 56978]Speaker Lug by notyalcer posted Feb 25, 2017 at 11:02 AM[/GALLERY]

You will want "Male Spade Lug" - a smaller than typical one as Katana stock Speaker Lugs are a bit smaller compared to most

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Spade-Terminals/b?ie=UTF8&node=306733011

http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/274002.HTM

( often called "Fast-On" or "Quick Connect "  connectors)

in this manner , after you disconnect the stock speaker wires from the Katana Combo internal speaker, you can "mate" the "inline male spade lug" ( bottom right in pic above) with the stock female spade lug on the stock Katana Combo Speaker wires.

Then crimp/solder  the inline male spade lug to a new spaaker cable that terminates in a 1/4" phone plug (aka Switchcraft #280 plug )

and thats how you can use Katana 100-112 combo amp with your favorite external 8 ohm speaker cab.

--

In USA , many refer to these as " Tyco (AMP) Fast-On Connectors"

https://www.mouser.com/Mobile/TE-Connectivity/Connectors/Terminals/250-FASTON-Series/_/N-5g5u?P=1ywwwf6Z1yzs6ii&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoZ_trEf69GC5dWnqtVoScPvDDxCW6E8rrxqDLswWvquijgSd1BkIbcaApV1EALw_wcB

FASTON Catalog
https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=7-1773445-2_FASTON_catalogu&DocType=DS&DocLang=English

Tyco Datasheet
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/418/NG_CD_170032_U3-1242545.pdf

5.2mm( 0.250") = Tyco 170032-1
https://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand/1700321-10260586.html
https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=170032&DocType=Customer+Drawing&DocLang=English&PartCntxt=170032-1&DocFormat=pdf

2.8mm(0.110") = Tyco 174777-1
https://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand/1747771-10263981.html
https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=174777&DocType=Customer+Drawing&DocLang=English&PartCntxt=174777-1&DocFormat=pdf

mchad

I just watched that 'convert a cheap combo into a head' video and I'm wondering is it that easy???

Elantric

QuoteI just watched that 'convert a cheap combo into a head' video and I'm wondering is it that easy???

He used an open frame mono 1/4" jack

Yes - just be sure to isolate both wires and never touch chassis earth / Ground with them.

Stevie F

IS THIS THE SAME AS USING IT AS A LINE OUT SAY INTO A MIXER ?

Elantric

QuoteIS THIS THE SAME AS USING IT AS A LINE OUT SAY INTO A MIXER ?

Not at all,

The whole point of this mod is to allow the Katana Combo to drive a separate speaker cab
The Katana Head includes a Speaker output jack, to use your own favorite 8 ohm to 16 ohm speaker cab.

The Katana Combo amps do not include a Speaker output jack, so this details how to add the missing speaker output jack for  Katana Combo amps

But If you want to feed a mixer, use the existing "Line Out" jack on the Katana 100-112, Katana 100-212, Katana Head

Never connect a Guitar Amp "Speaker Output" directly to a Mixer Input

Shogun1

Totally a hack.  I avoid altering gear, especially new gear.  I learned from butchering guitar models. It is what it is.

You lose the cabinet speaker (which make a nice monitor on stage) when you do this, right - or you mess with impedance load?.  I would rather have had an XLR out jack with the RTS phone line/record out.

That in-line jack dangling by wires from the chassis looks like a really bad idea, to me.

Tcaron20

Can I split the speaker load to two 8 ohm speakers for a 4 ohm load without hurting amp?

Elantric

You WILL hurt the Katana if you drive a 4 ohm load

Use one 8 ohm speaker

or two 16 ohm speaker cabs in parallel

The whole point of this mod is to allow the Katana Combo to drive a separate speaker cab

toneguy86

Quote from: Elantric on March 10, 2017, 09:56:05 PM
Not at all,

But If you want to feed a mixer, use the existing "Line Out" jack on the Katana 100-112, Katana 100-212, Katana Head

Never connect a Guitar Amp "Speaker Output" directly to a Mixer Input

Which is my only issue with this amp. Why in the world didn't Boss add an output jack to the 50 like it does to the 100? Odd that. I'm also mystified about the external foot switch issue. Why isn't there an external switch capability beyond the A/B channel switch? It does say "expression pedal" on that jack. Given everything...is that just a future option? No info on it anywhere.

admin

QuoteWhich is my only issue with this amp. Why in the world didn't Boss add an output jack to the 50 like it does to the 100? Odd that. I'm also mystified about the external foot switch issue. Why isn't there an external switch capability beyond the A/B channel switch? It does say "expression pedal" on that jack. Given everything...is that just a future option? No info on it anywhere.

If you plug in an EV-5 Expression pedal to the Katana 50's rear Foot Control  / Expression pedal jack then you will have a remote foot controlled master volume

DutchGuitarDude

majellin

Hardos174

Hi,

I saw this topic and thought I had some informations to share...

In fact when I received my katana 100 I directly opened it to make a visual control (as I make for every one of my amp) and add an output speaker jack.

I used neutrik plastic mono jack with switch on each connection (as shown on the first post of this topic) and connect the main speaker output from amp to the lugs which are not switchable (the signal cannot be break) and the katana speaker wires to the switchable lugs so when a jack is connected the katana speaker is disconnected and vice & versa.

The interesting thing I learned when I done it is there is already the location for the output speaker jack on the PCB, I think it's the same pcb for katana 112/212 and katana head, I am not sure if there is the midi connection as well but the output speaker jack is here and if I remember correctly the silkscreen on the pcb say « J4 » for it.
So all you have to do is buy the good jack socket (with pins and not lugs), drill the chassis at the right place (pretty easy) and solder it...!!!

And to finish this post I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the wood/composite enclosure, it's seriously solid!

Good amp by the way...

vtgearhead

Quote from: Hardos174 on March 08, 2018, 10:54:28 AM
Hi,

I saw this topic and thought I had some informations to share...

In fact when I received my katana 100 I directly opened it to make a visual control (as I make for every one of my amp) and add an output speaker jack.

I used neutrik plastic mono jack with switch on each connection (as shown on the first post of this topic) and connect the main speaker output from amp to the lugs which are not switchable (the signal cannot be break) and the katana speaker wires to the switchable lugs so when a jack is connected the katana speaker is disconnected and vice & versa.

The interesting thing I learned when I done it is there is already the location for the output speaker jack on the PCB, I think it's the same pcb for katana 112/212 and katana head, I am not sure if there is the midi connection as well but the output speaker jack is here and if I remember correctly the silkscreen on the pcb say « J4 » for it.
So all you have to do is buy the good jack socket (with pins and not lugs), drill the chassis at the right place (pretty easy) and solder it...!!!

And to finish this post I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the wood/composite enclosure, it's seriously solid!

Good amp by the way...

I have a feeling the PC board won't lend itself to switching the combo internal speaker, but interesting to know the traces are there.  There's been a lot of discussion about populating the MIDI jack on a K100 combo and Elantric has identified the major components.  I don't know if anyone's actually gone ahead and made the modification.

gumtown

But the combo speaker jack does switch the internal 30 watt speaker.

Probably just a matter of moving a jumper wire option somewhere.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

Ah, didn't realize the main speaker muted the small one - but I guess it makes sense now that I think about it.

mike349

hi all, i'm trying to get my head around (if possible), how to allow for, using the katana combo, the use of an external 8ohm speaker cab which DOESN'T mute the internal katana 8ohm speaker. 

admin

Quote from: mike349 on September 28, 2018, 05:17:03 AM
hi all, i'm trying to get my head around (if possible), how to allow for, using the katana combo, the use of an external 8ohm speaker cab which DOESN'T mute the internal katana 8ohm speaker.

That results in two speakers in Parallel  = total load impedance below 8 ohms  = overheat the Katana

thats why the Katana 2x12 cab uses Two 16 ohm Speakers in parallel = 8 total ohms load

mike349

Quote from: admin on October 15, 2018, 02:33:04 PM

That results in two speakers in Parallel  = total load impedance below 8 ohms  = overheat the Katana

thats why the Katana 2x12 cab uses Two 16 ohm Speakers in parallel = 8 total ohms load
update - i have figured out now how to allow for a 1x12 external speaker cab (8ohm) to be used with my katana 100w 1x12 (8ohm) combo - it's a case of adding a jack socket which allows for the two 8ohm speakers to be connected together in series, so that the new total load is a safe 16ohms  (my method will not mute the internal katana speaker, it will allow for the combo to be used as normal (at 8ohms) when the external speaker is not plugged in, and my method will not void the amplifier warranty.   i will update here again when i have done the modification, to explain it all with pictures or a video

mike349

hello again all,

i finished making a video to show how to connect an external speaker cabinet to a boss katana 1x12 combo amplifier, which will not mute the internal combo speaker & will not void your boss katana warranty

here is the youtube video:

Elantric

guitarisle

First and foremost thanx to everyone who contributed on this thread, that's something I was lookin for!

Now; say I swapped the Katana 100 1x12 speaker for a V30 for example, and want to place a jack between speaker and head (of the combo), so I could use other heads?
And also: for a Katana 100 a 25w speaker like the Greenback would not be enough I presume?

isoneedacoffee

Sorry to revive this thread. I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some help and for posterity I thought it would be best to post here. I am considering adding a speaker out to my Katana 50 mkii in the following manner:

I have a few doubts about the mod:

1) In the very first post of this thread @Elantric, the OP, recommends getting 5.2mm and 2.8mm terminals. However in the video above, 6.3mm and 2.8mm are specified. Does anyone know which is right? or perhaps the terminals are different for the 50 vs 100 models?

2) I know I am rehashing this question, but Boss says that the 50 is 4 ohms, but people are adamant here that it is 8 ohms. This is such old news on this forum, however Boss continues to list it as 4 ohms and that makes me a bit worried as I would potentially want to connect the amp to a 8ohm cab.

3) Would I need a specialized crimping tool to squeeze the terminals together or could I easily use other household tools?