Digitech FreqOut

Started by Elantric, January 29, 2017, 12:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/freqout

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_documents/documents/5452_1484846062/DigiTech_FreqOut_How_It_Works_original.pdf

Highlights
Generates Guitar Feedback at Any Volume
Works with Distorted or Clean Signals
Onset Delay and Level/Balance Controls
Choose Between 7 Harmonic Types
Momentary and Latching Modes
True Bypass Footswitch
Durable Steel Chassis
Features
If you've ever wanted to generate the harmonic feedback that comes from holding your guitar to an amp cranked to eleven—but at lower volumes and with greater control—then the FreqOut from DigiTech might just be the pedal for you. This is a natural feedback generator in a stompbox enclosure which gives you control over the harmonics you'd like to hear when the feedback starts, the level of the feedback, the amount of time it takes for the feedback to hit you at full force, and even its duration. You can, for instance, set the pedal to kill all feedback whenever you take your foot off the footswitch. In this manner, you can effectively control many aspects of a characteristically unpredictable and organic stage process.
This pedal is useful in live scenarios, in the studio, and in practice situations, where you may not be able to get as loud as you'd like. The FreqOut can even work with a clean, non-distorted signal. In addition to its intended effect, the pedal can also facilitate creative experimentation on stage. It utilizes a true-bypass footswitch and a steel chassis to promote durability. It requires a separately available 9 VDC power adapter to run.

View All Features

Elantric

I was at a Thomas Nordegg's last Friday and he acquired a Digitech  Freq Out pedal , very amazing as it has a "dry off" mode and you can play single note melodies that sound like old GR-300 as played by fripp on 80's King Chrimson records

The whole new DOD /Digitech guitar FX were very versatile and high quality

The new DOD Carcosa fuzz pedal was very good too with lots of tones from edge of break up to foxtone

Rhcole

This pedal is gonna be a smash hit. Sort of like this year's Mel-9.
Wonder how it will influence the sales of Fernandes Sustainer guitars?
An A/B comparison would be interesting.

Snow Black

I've got one on pre-order so will compare it with my Fernandes sustainer, and the eBow, and let you know. I've also signed up for the Paul Vo Wand II project. I'm a bit obsessed with these sustainer things!
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

Elantric

Digitech frequout is cool  , but its not going to replace a Sustainiac / Fernandes Sustainer.

In my case I specifically use Sustainiac / Fernandes Sustainers when doing DSP Alt Tuning on Antares and GP-10  - to promote sustain when playing slide guitar

Rhcole

I think that it will lack the acceleration factor of the Fernandes. You can lightly pluck a string with a sustainer and it will take off on its own. I have to guess the FreqOut won't do that.

Yohanes

I think Digitech FreqOut is more inline to compare to Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/Booster.

Since Boss GP-10 doesn't have Feedbacker effect, I am looking for a feedback pedal like Boss FB-2 or (discontinued) DF-2. Now here is FreqOut with more control, but is it worth the more expensive price? I hope someone can test and make a comparison between FreqOut and Boss FB-2.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

Elantric

DigiTech Freqout

Feedback is the telltale sign of a guitar running at full tilt into a real, raging amp.

Yet it's not something that can be easily replicated - until DigiTech dropped the FreqOut, which utilises a combination of pitch-shifting and reversed feedback suppression tech to capture the wails beloved by the likes of Hendrix, Cobain and Satriani.

There are two modes of operation: momentary, which adds feedback when the footswitch is held; and latching, which uses your pick attack to automatically trigger the feedback.

These sounds are controlled via Gain (feedback level) and Onset - the time it takes to reach max 'back, as indicated by the left-hand row of LEDs.

A type control adjusts the harmonic frequency of the sound, going from a cab-rumbling sub to a two-octave-plus 5th harmonic squeal. The natural hi/lo settings, meanwhile, offer the full range of frequencies, making the feedback more likely to transition between them. It can be unpredictable, but that only adds to the realism.

What's more, a dry switch kills your guitar signal, leaving only the feedback: slide between notes and you've got a thoroughly usable theremin/EBow impersonation.

It's hard to believe the sounds you can coax from the FreqOut aren't real feedback, until you remember you're playing a clean tone through headphones - this pedal makes the impossible possible, especially for anyone seeking live-in-the-room sounds from plug-ins.

Elantric

https://reverb.com/p/fender-runaway-feedback

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=runaway
The Fender Runaway Feedback Pedal is a natural feedback simulator that lets guitarists create feedback-type sounds easily and at any volume.

The Fender Runaway Pedal is based on Softube's patented feedback algorithm, already used in the Acoustic Feedback plug-in. Now you can experience Softube's feedback simulation live!

Not cheap $400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Runaway-Feedback-Pedal-with-Box-and-paperwork-/182717708755?hash=item2a8ad2f9d3:g:nvkAAOSwFJBZWALk

admin

Smash

Wow that Fender Runaway pedal looks and sounds the nutz but the Freqout is incredible #want

Who is gonna be first to try it on acoustic

The ebow is dead...

Rhcole

I never even heard of the Runaway pedal. It must have tanked in the marketplace? I wonder why, it sounds pretty good.

Elantric

Quote from: Rhcole on June 26, 2017, 03:33:25 PM
I never even heard of the Runaway pedal. It must have tanked in the marketplace? I wonder why, it sounds pretty good.

it had a brief product run  The hurdle with Fender Runaway was it could not process chords.

But neither does the Boss Distortion/ Feedbacker pedal

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2013/11/feedback-frenzy-comparing-the-boss-df-2-and-fb-2.html#sthash.AZnnwWX8.dpbs

I lent mine out 15 years ago and never got it back

BackDAWman

I used the Freqout on the weekend gigging and I loved it. Going direct into a PA I can never get that awesome feedback that finishes a song so dramatically! It was very very convincing! I used the Boss Feedbacker years ago and it I didn't think it was that great. The Digitech offering is well worth the money!

admin

Digitech FreqOut
Guitar Feedback Pedal
Hardware > Effect
Published November 2017
By Paul White
Creating genuine and controllable guitar feedback has always presented a challenge, and few pedal or plug-in designers have taken it on. Boss got in early with their Distortion/Feedback pedal, which faked feedback by tracking the guitar's pitch and using it to control an oscillator when the pedal was stepped on. A little fixed LFO vibrato was added along with a suitable harmonic structure to make it sound reasonably convincing, but the main problem was that you couldn't bend or add natural vibrato to the feedback sound as it all came from the oscillator.

Digitech FreqOut
A few years later they tried again with the FB-2 Feedback Booster, this time using a tracking filter to boost frequencies around the last note played. This produced somewhat more natural-sounding results but still didn't quite nail the real thing. Softube did pretty well with their Acoustic Feedback plug-in, but it's obviously rather trickier to use on stage than a pedal.

Digitech's approach is even more sophisticated: to simplify a little, they use feedback-suppression technology in reverse, to amplify feedback rather than suppress it. The result is a very natural-sounding feedback that behaves much as a loudly played guitar would when feeding back, but with the benefit that you can select which harmonics make up the feedback tone and how quickly they build up. For a special effect, you can kill the dry sound completely. All this comes in a compact pedal, which requires a standard 9V DC PSU (a suitable one is available as a cost option).

The footswitch triggers the effect and can be set to latching or momentary action; momentary is probably the best bet for bringing in feedback during a performance. This mode also offers a hard-wired bypass, whereas in latching mode the bypass is buffered. Take your foot off the pedal in momentary mode and the guitar's behaviour returns to normal. A long line of red LEDs displays the feedback intensity. The rate of feedback build-up is controlled by the Onset knob and its level relative to the guitar sound by the Gain section of the dual-concentric pot. The Dry switch kills the dry sound. A seven-position rotary Type switch selects from one of seven feedback harmonic types, and that's about it — there's really nothing difficult for users to get their heads around. The seven 'types' are made up of sub-octave, first harmonic, second harmonic, third harmonic, fifth harmonic, Natural Low and Natural High. According to the manual, these last two modes act more like natural feedback does, and they may well produce different feedback harmonics every time you play the same note. These settings also respond to pickup choice and guitar tone-control settings.

I think Digitech really have cracked this one — the feedback effects sound and feel very natural, even when playing at very low volumes. For best results the FreqOut should go at the front of your effects chain, though it would also probably be quite happy placed after a compressor or buffer. It's sometimes necessary to damp unwanted strings to avoid spurious sounds when sustaining a single note, just as it is when controlling real feedback. And, as with the real thing, the results with chords are less predictable than with single notes.

By killing the dry sound, it's possible to play sustained melodies much as you might with an eBow, except that you can't vary the harmonics during performance (something you can do by changing where you place the eBow relative to the pickups). Nonetheless, it's a useful effect, not unlike a monophonic version of the Sustainer guitar, and some reverb and/or delay really brings it to life.

Whether you need this pedal or not rather depends on your musical style, but already I can envision making a lot of use of it in the studio as well as at gigs. Those Gary Moore-style endless sustained notes are so easy to coax from the guitar at any volume while more esoteric sounds can be created by using the feedback sound itself as a musical instrument.

Oh dear, I fear I might just be talking myself into buying this one...

$179.85.

digitech.com

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/digitech-freqout

Elantric

plexified

admin