SY 300 decay control?

Started by intergalatico, January 16, 2017, 03:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intergalatico

Hello Folks,

I just bought the SY 300 on a good used price. I already have the GR 55 and I think the GR 55 is gonna go...

But... there is really no Decay parameter to do some nice long decays in a PAD sound? That would be a really shame! Why not some real controls like attack, sustain, decay and release?

Thanks!

Brak(E)man

Because it's using the strings ADSR with a twist
The SY doesn't work like a regular synth.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

intergalatico

Thanks for the answer!

But how you guys work around this? How can I make the the notes sounds longer? Reverb is not the better option...

Thank you!

admin

Use a well setup guitar with polished frets to  increase sustain

Further sustain occurs with an onboard sustainer (Sustainiac, ,Fernandes Sustainer

chrish

You can hold any or all osc by making those control switch assignments. Or use an ebow or sustainer pickup. Or use vibrato technique on your strings which will help sustain your strings. Or keep the gr55 and use it along with sy300 which will fill the attack  pitch to midi latency gap. Or use the sy300 compressor with long release times.

Brak(E)man

Here's SY with sustainer and hold osc + swell pedal
And a lot of reverb :)

https://brakophonic.bandcamp.com/album/aquatics

You can also use the input settings and compressor to help increase the decay a little bit.
But the best thing with SY is that it reacts/responds like a guitar ( more or less )
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

intergalatico

Thank you all for the answers!

But I didn't made myself clear: I would like to have a nice overlapping when I change the chords playing a PAD passage. So when I change the chords I don't have a hole between them. In this matter, how long my guitar can hold a note is not that important. My guitar have a really nice sustain and the frets are really good done. But the thing about the compressor on the input settings is a nice thing for really long chords. Thanks for that!

I already did the assignment with the HOLD function on Ctrl 1, like a sustain pedal on a piano. Is kind of a solution but I am not so thrilled to have to do this all the time with my feet.

Like I said before, a decay knob would be all that I want. But, we can't always have everything what we want...

Thank you! 

lumena

Using my sy-300 I sometimes wish for a better decay control ...
Lately i have added a volume pedal and that has helped with some shaping - today I watched a video that makes me think of a even more powerful control.
The digitech FREQ OUT  :)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=puXTs6zclT4

Can't seem to get video to embed... Feel free to help.

Nice demo can't wait to try one out.

gumtown

Lots of Reverb effect will give you sustained pad chords and still sound while chord changing.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Synthetica

Rhcole

You could use freeze pedals etc, but you need to understand that the SY isn't actually using or creating oscillators. You wouldn't require this from a wah or fuzz pedal, don't expect it from the SY. All it does is process your guitar.

chrish

Yes,that's an important concept to understand.

The sy300 has VCO-virtual controlled oscillator. 1's and 0's modeling the sound of an electronic circuit. In a sense, the guitar string is the osc and the amp envelope is the attack, sustain and decay of the string. 

Not to be confused with VCO-volatage control oscillator. Electronic circuit.

or DC0- digital control oscillator. 1's and 0's controlling an electronic circuit