GT-1 hooked to PA

Started by pasha811, December 12, 2016, 01:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Can the GT-1 be hooked to a PA directly without amp?
In that case can I expect good performance and sound?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

roachone

Definitely! Kicks butt too! Just make sure its set to PA. and speaker cab on.

Elantric

"Line/phones" is the OUTPUT setting you use when connecting GT-1 to a PA

pasha811

Thanks!

I have an incoming rehearsal session and it looks like in the studio we have less amps than guitarists...
So I was thinking about going directly into the PA like I always did with VG99. GT-1 has good amp simulation IMHO
so I needed only a confirmation. :-)

Cheers
Paolo

Headless68

The singer / guitarist in my band just got a GT-1 & we gigged it last weekend using it 
We did sound check with it into the PA direct and into a Fender Deluxe amp - it sounded good into both to be honest
The form factor is great if you have a mic stand in front of you too (he previously used a Line6 400 pedal which is pretty huge and was always in his way)

pasha811

Quote from: Headless68 on December 13, 2016, 11:09:41 AM
The singer / guitarist in my band just got a GT-1 & we gigged it last weekend using it 
We did sound check with it into the PA direct and into a Fender Deluxe amp - it sounded good into both to be honest
The form factor is great if you have a mic stand in front of you too (he previously used a Line6 400 pedal which is pretty huge and was always in his way)

Thanks!
Real life experiences are always very welcome! :-)

PhD

Quote from: Headless68 on December 13, 2016, 11:09:41 AM

I've been using the GT-1 in gigs a few times now, directly on the PA, and it sounds fabulous (but this is very personal taste). I tried it also on a combo, testing the different output selections, but could not get a satisfactory sound, probably due to some conflict between the combo preamp and the GT preamp module. I could get something very usable though when I switched off the preamp, possibly using the Dist module in case of overdrive needs... Of course it may require two sets of pachtes (one for PA, one for real amps), but at least for me, it is very satisfactory.  My five cents.....

pasha811

Quote from: PhD on December 14, 2016, 02:58:10 AM
I've been using the GT-1 in gigs a few times now, directly on the PA, and it sounds fabulous (but this is very personnal taste). I tried it also on a combo, testing the different output selections, but could not get a satisfactory sound, probably due to some conflict between the combo preamp and the GT preamp module. I could get something very usable though when I switched off the preamp, possibly using the Dist module in case of overdrive needs... Of course it may require two sets of pachtes (one for PA, one for real amps), but at least for me, it is very satisfactory.  My five cents.....

This is a very useful insight. With all of this COSM equipped boxes, I've always thought that some conflict may occur between having a 'virtual' vs 'real' amp. However the GT-1 is equipped with output mode selection that should compensate. I do not know how it works though. I imagine it's more an EQ thing to adjust for combo, head and cabinet, JC120 ...but I do not really know. I assume you selected the proper output in either cases. Thanks a lot!

PhD

Quote from: pasha811 on December 14, 2016, 09:12:35 AM
This is a very useful insight. With all of this COSM equipped boxes, I've always thought that some conflict may occur between having a 'virtual' vs 'real' amp. However the GT-1 is equipped with output mode selection that should compensate. I do not know how it works though. I imagine it's more an EQ thing to adjust for combo, head and cabinet, JC120 ...but I do not really know. I assume you selected the proper output in either cases. Thanks a lot!

Well from what I heard, which is also my impression, the output mode other than the LINE/HEADPHONES suppress the speaker simulator, which is fine, but not the preamp type. I will though change some tonal parameters (that we do not control). So mixing preamps (real and virtual, as you state) can have strange effects. Guitar amps have usually a rather "poor" bandwidth so can't reproduce all the fine harmonics that apparently the GT-1 generates, so in such case, I use the GT-1 as a pure multieffect, without any preamp/speaker stuff. But I guess this is clearly a matter of taste. Cheers.

zoot_rollo