GT-1- Compressor & Noise Suppressor Settings

Started by 3kings, December 12, 2016, 11:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3kings

Can someone who really understands effects help me with the compressor settings: most real compressors have parameters for threshold, ratio, attack, and release.  The GT-1 Compressor has just attack, plus something else called "Sustain" (I'm ignoring the level & tone as those aren't part of the compression).  A pro studio musician once corrected me when I thought that compressors actually added sustain by showing me the 4 parameters and explaining that none of them actually boost your signal or add sustain, its just 4 different settings for how it cuts it down (and also that a limiter is a just compressor with very high ratio settings).  The description of the GT-1 Sustain field is "Adjusts the range (time) over which low-level signals are boosted. Larger values will result in longer sustain."  So if anyone has used this effect on the GT-1, is this thing really a compressor, and do you really find the sustain setting does much?  I don't find it adding much sustain even near 100.  Is it just a poorly done effect or am I missing something here?  (And BTW the GT-1 Limiter does have the 4 threshold / ratio / attack / release parameters, as it should, which further confuses me re the Compressor as to why it doesnt - they werent consistent!!!)

Also, re the noise suppressor, I'm more used to a noise gate which is all or nothing: cuts off everything under a certain volume to remove ALL hiss.  The GT-1 noise suppressor just slowly removes more & more as you turn the Threshold higher.  On some effects I need to go as far as 70 to get my hum to go, and I cant seem to hear any downside of this level, I don't think anything is being cut off from the decay of "real" notes.  Anyone who has tried it agree or am I missing something?  Thanks