GT-1 First Impression

Started by hippietim, October 11, 2016, 05:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slooky

I wonder why they wouldn't put the shimmer reverb in this unit ???

Hmm but I came up with a nice shimmer using different effects in this unit ;D

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on November 04, 2016, 01:33:16 PM
hope to test this weekend - but expect my answer to be "no"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.msg139438#msg139438

If you have upgraded to MIDX-20 rev 1.2 firmware and the LED goes green when connecting to the GT-1 there is most probably a working connection, similar to other Roland/Boss gear. That would be a good start.

Firmware 1.0 I don't trust.

I might get a GT-1 to crack the MIDI out, but most probably not until Q1 2017 due to upcoming travel.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

pasha811

Quote from: slooky on November 06, 2016, 03:37:32 PM
I wonder why they wouldn't put the shimmer reverb in this unit ???

Hmm but I came up with an nice shimmer using different effects in this unit ;D

Curious about what you used. :-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

slooky

Quote from: pasha811 on November 06, 2016, 11:11:00 PM
Curious about what you used. :-)

Here you go Pasha. Tell me what you think?
CTL1 turns on bit of distortion

--

This topic has been moved to Boss GT-1 Patch Exchange.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19509.0

polaris20

Quote from: Elantric on November 02, 2016, 05:33:41 AM
This has been answered by Spider who has been using GP-10 and GT-1
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=3003

"How does the Boss GT-1 compare to GP-10?

Spider wrote>
These FX appear to be exclusive to Boss GT-1

A-DIST:
This effect uses MDP (Multi-Dimensional Processing) technology to provide ideal distortion in all pitch ranges of the guitar, from low to high.

OVERTONE:
This effect uses MDP (Multi-Dimensional Processing) technology to add new harmonics to the sound, producing resonance and richness that was not present in the original sound.

more details here:

GT-1 Parameter Guide
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1_parameter_e01.pdf

I'll have a GT-1 myself this Thursday and I'll offer my review next week

This is what I was hoping to hear. I've got the GT-1 sitting here, that I'll be programming this week for usable in-store demos. As others have discovered, the stock presets leave much to be desired, but the tones are definitely in there, if you start from scratch. I am VERY impressed with the device.

However, for me, I think the GP-10 will be the better option. I've put off ordering one for ages, simply because I didn't think I'd be happy with the COSM amp modeling, and felt weird ordering one as just a Variax replacement. Now that I know GP-10=GT-1 in terms of amp tones, I know it's now a slam dunk for the GP-10.

I might even still buy the GT-1 as well; at the cost, it's one helluva backup.

I've already sold one this past weekend, and man, let me tell you it's a great feeling selling something to someone knowing that it truly is a nice piece.

slooky

Quote from: polaris20 on November 07, 2016, 09:07:10 AM

However, for me, I think the GP-10 will be the better option. I've put off ordering one for ages, simply because I didn't think I'd be happy with the COSM amp modeling, and felt weird ordering one as just a Variax replacement. Now that I know GP-10=GT-1 in terms of amp tones, I know it's now a slam dunk for the GP-10.

I might even still buy the GT-1 as well; at the cost, it's one helluva backup.

I use Gp-10 with Gt-1=awesomeness

admin

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22951439/
Current GP-10 user. My first impressions of the GT-1 which I just got over the weekend:
This thing is really small. This is great for certain situations where you want to pack light. The wah pedal is really small too, but surprisingly easy to use as a full size pedal.
Sounds are very good. My favorite is the Matchless amp model. Sounds the same as my GP-10.
The control layout works really well. I like having the individual effects buttons right there in a row to enable/disable effects, even the ones that aren't assigned to switches.
Haven't had the need to program this using the Boss Central software. I can do everything from the unit itself, including the most complex pedal assignments etc. Nicely done.
Assigning the UP/DOWN/CTRL pedals to almost anything really makes this a flexible unit. I've got the FS7 attached and use it for patch UP/DOWN, leaving the three main switches on the unit for OD, FX, and DELAY.
One gripe about assigning CTRL2/3 on an external footswitch. With a FS7 set to latch mode (so the LED on/off works), if I use CTRL2 for delay and CTRL3 for tap tempo, the tap tempo requires tapping 2X to achieve the same result. This is because the latching action of the footswitch. On a GP-10 you can set the tap to a half note or quarter note to compensate for this. On the GT-1 the delay doesn't have this setting. Not a big issue, but it means you can't use the FS7 for tap tempo while retaining the LED on/off state.
No mic options for the amp models on the GT-1. Not a dealbreaker, but it's nice to have some additional tone shaping filters like on the GP-10.
Having two FX blocks in the signal chain in addition to an OD block is really handy. The GP-10 makes you pick between having an OD or an FX in a single patch, but not both.
The switch layout and basic assignment design approach reminds me alot of the Digitech RP360XP, but this unit has even more control options.
Looper works well. Only downside is that you lose access to whatever effect you had assigned to CTRL1 while the looper is active. Not a big deal since you can just reach down and hit the corresponding effect on/off button instead.
Tuner is functional, but really granular -- not a lot of fine tuning capability from the display. I can work with it tho.
Overall, lot of useful function packed into a small unit. I plan to gig it live with a EHX Magnum 44 poweramp into a Mesa guitar cab.

pasha811

Quote from: slooky on November 07, 2016, 04:52:15 AM
Here you go Pasha. Tell me what you think?
CTL1 turns on bit of distortion

Thanks! Not an owner so I can't comment on sound but I'll take a look with GT-1 BTS to see how you worked that out.

Thanks
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcyfrowogitarowo.pl%2Farchiwa%2F1330&edit-text=

Boss GT-1: small, that much can
We tested the smallest in multi-floor Bossa and immediately we can write: do not be fooled by appearances.

GT-1 offer Bossa replaces the existing toddler, or ME-25. The new multi it is smaller, lighter and more ... plastic. The top and back cover are made of sheet admittedly, but it is thinner than the other effects Bossa. The bottom of the housing is no longer plastic. This change makes you have more eye on him, but on the other hand, you can confidently throw it into a backpack or pocket holster guitar (rounded edges) and take with you to the test.
Just how small is the new GT let certifies the pictures below. In practice, the buttons are very comfortable, well located "trample". Only the expression pedal in a mini version requires a different arrangement on the feet. You can withstand contact with glanami? With this I thought, because the impression of less durable than those installed in the ME series or GP-10. But ... it's just the feeling, because to talk about the durability you need to use the effect of at least half a year. If you are afraid you can always connect the FV-500 ..

Inputs and outputs

There is everything you need in equipment for approx. 800 zł. Guitar input, AUX input for connecting your phone or MP3 player socket for connecting additional foot switches or expression pedal and the stereo output and headphone output. The USB port is used to communicate with the computer. In Tone Studio application can very easily program the GT-1 and upload ready presets with bossowoskiej clouds Tone Central. It is also in multi audio interface and allows you to record the guitar signal on your computer. Here, however, unlike the flag GT-100 or small GP-10 is only one mode of operation.

Operation and display

To use the blue toddler are three knobs and a few buttons to manually enable / disable individual effects and navigation. When you press the button twice to move the selection mode effects and editing. This is done using three encoders whose function is described on the display. Let us not be fooled by appearances - some of the effects are a number of tabs, between which switch to press Enter. Sam theoretically LCD screen is small, but it can show much more information than siermiężny almost alphanumeric display in a more expensive GP-10.

Here, without recourse to the instructions let Reverb from the end of the chain to its beginning and join the ranks of those who think better before spring pre-ampem. Just as easily we choose we need results and put them in blocks FX1 and FX2 - the rest of the results is assigned to each block such as OD / DS, Preamp, Delay, Reverb, and pedal expresji.
If you do not want to get drunk enough GT connects to your computer and enjoy the comfortable editing of all parameters.
Interesting fact: GT-1 switches to two times faster than the preset GP-10. It needs approx. 34 ms, which is a very good result.

Sound

Let me start by saying that when you connect the GT-1 sound seemed muddy, evil. The effect looked, shook knobs, changed the guitar, again shook, and I put down on the desk. I did not like what I heard. The second approach was the same ... until to spot on the screen small icon amplifier! Everything became clear, instead of audio line / headphone sound effects played for guitar combo. The GT-10/100 effect automatically switches the mode Line / Phone when you connect headphones. Here we have to do it from the menu. From now on, the sound coming out already makes joy, and some presets even a big smile.

Recent multi sounds the same as the flagship GT-100 also has the same effects. However, it is not the same. First hundred can work with two amplifiers modeled at the same time, and has more distinct blocks the effects of: a separate Compresor, chorus, and EQ block akceleracyjnych effect, modifying the following function of time.
Maluchu chain may be comprised of ten blocks, GT-100, plus fourteen and the second amplifier gate.
The second difference affecting the sound is no part effects. In practice, this means that until the use of the same chain of effects, as well positioned hear the same.

It is important that they do not run looper (32 seconds) and very creative effects family Multi - Dimensional Processing such Adaoptive Distrotion the great Terra Echo and Overtone, which until recently were only available as separate cubes ... We find also a well-functioning simulator acoustics which will please not only beginners .
Not for the GT-1 for example. Own custom amplifiers and overdrives that builds the user. You will not find too few parameters, such as T-Comp block preamp, which allows for a fairly significant modifications of sound. Emulation speaker is limited to a dedicated and selection of sets of type 1 × 10 "or 4 × 12". Do not choose the microphone settings etc. Pitchshifter is limited to one vote, not two. Also look in vain here, among others, effects such as Defretter, Wave Synth, Sitar Simulator, Sound Hold. Fortunately, they are rather nice extras, and no key effects. Although there is no double DeLay can no longer disturb someone.

Like other multi Bossa also in GT-1 were buttons for easy editing modes. For beginners it will be a very useful feature. With this feature easily you find the sound embedded in a particular genre or modify the selected preset. Definitely worth a try.

Summary: GT-1 compared to the ME-25 to a big step forward. A flexible chain of effects, which is not only more but can be modified almost like in GT-100. This translates into a very good sound small multi, which persists flagship model. For it is worth noting that the GT-1 can also operate without connecting to the mains. Battery life up to 7 working hours.

carlb

"You can withstand contact with glanami?"

Dunno, man. Contact with glanami - that can be pretty rough.  ;D
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Autana

This awesome GT-1 showcase is a totally GASIFIER to me !   thanks Elantric, I hope you enjoy it at maximum! 
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

beatpete

I notice in the GT-1 editor, on the far right of the assigns page there are 2 settings for "up" and "down". It looks like you can change the two left (patch) footswitches to say Delay" and "overdrive" INSTEAD of patch changes. It mentions nothing of this in the manual so  can anyone verify this?

Elantric

QuoteIt looks like you can change the two left (patch) footswitches to say Delay" and "overdrive" INSTEAD of patch changes. It mentions nothing of this in the manual so  can anyone verify this?

I loaded up Boss Tone Studio and wrote down all the options for re-assigning the GT-1 Up / Down foot switches

Its covered here:

Boss GT-1 - Owners Manual , Parameter Guide Documents
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19063.msg138957#msg138957

Control target assignment options for Boss GT-1 "UP & "DOWN" foot pedals are:
* OFF
* OD SOLO (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle), SOLO Level (0-100)
* PREAMP SOLO(which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle), SOLO Level (0-100)
* FX1 (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* OD/DS (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* PREAMP (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* FX2 (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* DELAY (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* REVERB (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* PEDAL FX (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* TUNER (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* BPM TAP
* DELAY TAP
* LEVEL +10
* LEVEL +20
* LEVEL -10
* LEVEL -20
* PATCH NUMBER +1
* PATCH NUMBER -1
* LED ON/OFF (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)

Elantric

Same as GP-10 - very good IMHO

beatpete

Quote from: Elantric on November 08, 2016, 10:27:35 AM
I loaded up Boss Tone Studio and wrote down all the options for re-assigning the GT-1 Up / Down foot switches

Its covered here:

Boss GT-1 - Owners Manual , Parameter Guide Documents
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19063.msg138957#msg138957

Control target assignment options for Boss GT-1 "UP & "DOWN" foot pedals are:
* OFF
* OD SOLO (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle), SOLO Level (0-100)
* PREAMP SOLO(which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle), SOLO Level (0-100)
* FX1 (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* PREAMP (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* FX2 (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* DELAY (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* REVERB (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* PEDAL FX (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* TUNER (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)
* BPM TAP
* DELAY TAP
* LEVEL +10
* LEVEL +20
* LEVEL -10
* LEVEL -20
* PATCH NUMBER +1
* PATCH NUMBER -1
* LED ON/OFF (which reveals SOURCE MODE (Momentary or Toggle)

Thanks, I saw the assignments, just wondering if it works in real life as it's not mentioned in the manual.

Elantric

confirmed all the above are genuine GT-1 assignment target options for Up / Down foot switches

You can reassign the external CTL 2/3 to be patch up  / down - or assign CTL2/CTL3 to control other FX and just use the GT-1 rotary knob to change patches

For me , the GT-1 factory presets inspire - (far more than the GT-100 factory patches)  Spend time with the GT-1, and its simplicity becomes a bonus, as each of the three GT-1 rotary knobs perform live editing duties depending on the patch.   

beatpete

Quote from: Elantric on November 08, 2016, 11:43:53 AM
confirmed all the above are genuine GT-1 assignment target options for Up / Down foot switches

Fantastic! Thanks

zoot_rollo

Brak(E)man

I got one for my son
and I'm spending a lot of time
playing with it.
Nice patches changes no cut off , nice size, love the built in looper , wish it had fade though.
The one thing that bothers me is the same with all the gear, the factory patches
The Sounds are all over the place and the volumes are out of balance and not by a little bit.
I might get one for me too
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

CodeSmart

Yeah Gunnar, it's a great neat thing, and yes factory patches suck.
Unfortunately my son turned out tone-deaf so I use it myself.... ;D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!