Boss GT-1

Started by Elantric, September 09, 2016, 07:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Quote from: utensil on September 12, 2016, 11:19:05 PM
Any word on if it's class compliant for midi or audio?
I would not bet on it.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: Smash on September 13, 2016, 12:52:31 AM
exactly this ^ no time for gear snobbery and never will - if it sounds good it is good.

Don't know what the 'gear snobbery' comment is about.

My point is simply, it's the player's ability, not what gear that is being played.

Any very good classical guitarist can make a cheap nylon string guitar sound good. But given a choice of what to play, they are going to play the  best sounding guitar that they can afford.

The gear that is used by any particular person is a matter of what that person hears and wants to lug around and set up.

With that said, for my playing abilily and to my ears, a vg99 sounds better than a vg8 (i own both). The vg8 and my ada mp2 sound better than my roland gs-6. Guess which piece of gear i would gig with.

If the GT-1 sounded better than a vg99 in all the things that a vg99 can do, i would purchase it.

But i'm not going to purchase it  just to have another piece of gear or because it's priced right or is a good deal or the next reconfigured piece of gear that Roland thinks will make them money.

Elantric

I play live gigs all the time in harsh environments and using a GT-1 or a used ME-80 is more attractive to me in those settings (for when beer spills)  - rather than risking my rare VG-99 getting abused.

AND  we agree -  it's the player's ability, not what gear that is being played.

chrish

In that harsh enviornment,  it would be my ears that would suffer the most damage which is one reason our band stopped playing those types of gigs just to entertain heavy drinkers in smokey bars.

We used to joke that our motto was, 'the drunker you get, the better we sound'.

Elantric

Quoteit would be my ears that would suffer the most damage which is one reason our band stopped playing those types of gigs just to entertain heavy drinkers in smokey bars.

For example this was last weekend - surf band instrumentals (log in to see pics below)   - during an all day  / all ages Rugby Tournament - with stray bouncing Rugby balls entering our "stage area" 

chrish

A vg99 on a stand at that gig would make an excellent target. :-) so yea, not a good place for one. With the looks of the pedal board and knowledge of the gear you already own, why would you purchase a Gt-1?

My musical goals have changed over the years. I just want to put people to sleep with my music.

Elantric

Quotewhy would you purchase a Gt-1?

Yes - because at $150 used (which i expect will be  typical ebay price by December 2016)  its priced like the consumable "stunt double" battery powered commodity it is. 

perfect for harsh environments IMHO - and gets the job done and saves my high end gear from wear and tear and service bills.

GT-1 is lower cost than two of these Boss Pedals

slooky

I couldn't  agree with you more Elantric! Now I have to ask you, you're  playing on grass?

Elantric

QuoteNow I have to ask you, you're  playing on grass?

yes at local public sports complex
http://www.slorugby.org/Directions.php

Its typical for my surf instrumental band to play odd places

aliensporebomb

Yep.  Not only is it cheap, I could approximate some of my patches in the VG99 using a Strymon Big Sky I already own.

I already have two old pieces of gear that are 90% of my "custom sound" generating gear and I'm looking at spare VG-99 units as well as other newer alternatives in case the "worst case" occurs.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

( . )( . )

Quote from: chrish on September 12, 2016, 08:15:21 PM
^When smart people buy dumb gear, what kind of gear will we see in the future?

The gear is all relative imo...here's an example from just today:

I lent my friend my ME-80 to play with for a few days. He plays in a church band (lol) - the big kind of church with pretty large audiences, full a/v systems and lots of money. They have three guitarists who apparently couldn't figure out this guitar part between the three of them:

Super simple, right - capo on 2nd fret, open D form with sus 4 hammered, and a simple bass float around the chord with delay. It literally took me 3 minutes to figure it out.

When I tried to explain how to play it to two of the guitarists, they couldn't grasp it, so I drove over and showed them. They were appreciative, but when I asked about the ME-80 they told me that it wasn't up to their standards. These guys apparently have to use the exact boutique pedals that their crapo CCM idols use...and I just kind of stood there for a second thinking, "First off, you guys like really shitty music. Secondly, you can't even figure this basic crap out, and third, you're gear snobs." Needless to say, I took my ME-80 back.

My point is that I'm not worried about smart people buying dumb gear...I'm worried about dumb people thinking that expensive gear makes them self-righteous assholes. Tonight kind of pissed me off - sorry for venting...

Elantric

I experience similar bias , attitudes  in all settings -not just the Praise & Worship teams stuck on recreating U2 "The Edge"  style guitar riffs for bulk of their music

QuoteI'm worried about dumb people thinking that expensive gear makes them self-righteous assholes.

For example I can walk into any Apple Store to experience that ;)

In regards to ME-80 they probably just connected ME-80 1/4" output jacks straight to PA and not reading the ME-80 manual and not  understanding the Headphone jack labeled "Rec Output" or the requirement to insert a dummy 3.5mm TRS plug in the headphone jack to enable the ME-80's Speaker Cab Simulator - explains why typical "know it all  - don't need the Owners Manual " hasty non readers  sell the ME-80 and tell friends all COSM is junk.

I know a few metal head bangers who play Rob Marcello  style metal riffs all day who lack the ear training to know when a capo was employed and when you explain it to them , they tell you "capos are for wimps"

Majiken

My toughest "harsh environment" battle comes when the is no real stage and no delineation whatsoever between my playing space and the dance floor, and the drunks/ecstatics either knock over the mic stand or even worse, knock the boom straight into my usually singing face at high velocity. Lt's a wonder I still have my orogonal teeth :-X
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Smash

Quote from: chrish on September 13, 2016, 08:51:23 AM
Don't know what the 'gear snobbery' comment is about.

My point is simply, it's the player's ability, not what gear that is being played.

Any very good classical guitarist can make a cheap nylon string guitar sound good. But given a choice of what to play, they are going to play the  best sounding guitar that they can afford.

The gear that is used by any particular person is a matter of what that person hears and wants to lug around and set up.

With that said, for my playing abilily and to my ears, a vg99 sounds better than a vg8 (i own both). The vg8 and my ada mp2 sound better than my roland gs-6. Guess which piece of gear i would gig with.

If the GT-1 sounded better than a vg99 in all the things that a vg99 can do, i would purchase it.

But i'm not going to purchase it  just to have another piece of gear or because it's priced right or is a good deal or the next reconfigured piece of gear that Roland thinks will make them money.

I guess you seem to have a downer on the GT1 calling it dumbed down and doubting Pat Metheny would use it even it sounded good.

I looked at the manual before judging it and as soon as I saw the effects blocks I recognised most of a COSM chain from the VG99 – and including some attempts at guitar/pup modelling without hex. With what I know from programming the VG I know I'd be able to get some killer tones out of the GT1 that would have people asking "What is that?" (yes I'm that confident – but in case of doubt give it to Bill Rupert!) - some people say they get tones in excess of boutique stuff from the VG so for them also they should get some stellar tones.

I don't see it as dumbed down gear – I see it as easily the most versatile and comprehensive MFX out there at that price point – seriously, what competes with it?

No it's not a VG successor but it's pretty clear we're never going to get one – Roland are giving strong signals they're pulling away from 13 pin. And when you consider we have guitar synthesis (SY) and keyboard sounds (EHX), polyphonic MIDI guitar (MG2), drop tunings (EHX/Digitech), and appear to be on the cusp of guitar modelling all from non hex pups the writing (to me at least) appears to be on the wall in terms of "mainstream production" hex.

And your point about technique to me is only partially true – I agree a skilled player can get a performance out of an adequate to good tone such that the difference between that and a boutique tone is minimal but a crap tone can kill any performance. Case in point an Alex Hutchings track on Youtube – awesome player, my fav of the current fastest guns crop, this composition of his was stellar but the tone –well all the comments were slating it and tbh they were fair points – it really detracted from the performance and made it not enjoyable even though you could appreciate what he'd written. It sounded like a piezo into a distortion pedal if I was being cruel. End result he actually uploaded a remixed version. His performance didn't – for me anyway transcend the bad tone.

I've seen great players hampered by bad tone and I've seen average players lifted by exceptional tone. Technique is a full car valet but tone, tone is the wax and crystal glaze...its the detailing  - and that's what brings home the trophies.

Frank

It looks as though (from the parameter guide) there is no reamping and that the USB is for computer playback and GT-1 recording only only, does this seem the case to anyone else?
I also noticed that there is no pre delay parameter for the reverb (which seems a shame in my opinion).

Spider

It is so plastic, and so small. Pedal is in microscale...

Elantric

someone said Boss GT-1 was all metal in one of the videos - but it sure looks like plastic to me

Is GT-1 all plastic?  The weight suggests it's plastic.

Does the amp / Speaker Cab modeling sound any different than a GP-10?
Or GT-001?

Or GT-100 Rev 2?
https://www.boss.info/us/products/gt-100/

I figure it's similar sounding Amp /Cab modeling as the GP-10, yes/no?

What is the gap time between patch changes?

Spider

Metal is only used on upper part (black one).
GT-1 dosn't work (at this moment) with MIDX-20!

Elantric

Any sonic improvement compared to other Boss GT processors?

Spider

I didn't write about sound becouse my first impression was bad... Sound was mudy, dark. Worse then on GP-10. I changed guitars, pups, made factory reset but nothing changed.
Until one, small discovery :) I owned a lot of Boss gear and I was used to automatic output mode switching to line/phones when jack is connected in to phone input. But this doesn't work in case of GT-1. Factory settings is different and affects phone output.

So... magic happned. Sound is clear and OK. Is it better then GP-10? I will check head to head with the same settings on both units.
Switching from ear test are the same like on GP but i will record and measure real "gap".

Spider

Latency during changing patches:
GT-1 = 33 ms
GP-10 = 64 ms and... 131 ms when you change direction after that again ca. 64 ms.

Sound:
Very interesting new MDP FX not only Terra Echo but A-Dist and esp. Overtone (excellent for organ sound).
Amp sound: for me the same like on GP-10. I made the same patches on both units and didn't hear spectacular difference but... no T-Comp and some other parameters.

Elantric

GT-1 Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1_e01_W.pdf

GT-1 Parameter Guide
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1_parameter_e01.pdf

A-DIST:
This effect uses MDP (Multi-Dimensional Processing) technology to provide ideal distortion in all pitch ranges of the guitar, from low to high.

OVERTONE:
This effect uses MDP (Multi-Dimensional Processing) technology to add new harmonics to the sound, producing resonance and richness that was not present in the original sound.

jm345

I see the GT-1 allows one-half the patches of the GT-001 and GT-100.
Is the GT-1 compatible with patches created by the GT-100?
Are the effects and parameters the same at the GT-100?
Thanks

Elantric

QuoteIs the GT-1 compatible with patches created by the GT-100?

NO

QuoteAre the effects and parameters the same at the GT-100?

no

RTM
GT-1 Owners Manual

GT-1 Parameter Guide

jm345

Quote from: Elantric on September 28, 2016, 10:32:43 AM
NO

no

RTM
GT-1 Owners Manual

GT-1 Parameter Guide

Thanks for the info. I did skim the Manual and GT-1 literature but didn't see any reference to using GT-100 patches. I asked Roland a week ago and haven't had a reply. Having the GT-100 and recently added a used GT-001 I am less interested in the GT-1 if the patches are not compatible. Thanks again!