Boss GT-1

Started by Elantric, September 09, 2016, 07:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

And more details on Roland /Boss MDP tech

http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2013/10/24/3-boss-pedals-with-mdp-technology/

utilize a new pedal technology known as MDP, which stands for Multi-Dimensional Processing. These pedals make fresh sounds that cannot be produced without MDP (more about them below), but the big question is: What is MDP?

MDP Technology Explained...
MDP is a technology that looks at the incoming signal and separates it into several different parts or "dimensions." It analyzes various components of these parts, such as the frequencies and dynamics of the part (dimension) and applies the optimal effect to each part independently, treating each dimension almost as a separate input. In a way, it's like having a polyphonic effect. As an example, if MDP separated the signal into, let's say, six different pieces, the MDP-based processor could apply six effects at the same time. It's almost like having six pedals at once, one for each dimension. This technology can be used in some interesting ways, and the three pedals that have it so far each use it to produce very different results.

It's in reference to the Terra-Echo effect built into GT-1, GT-001

slooky

I just might get one of these, price wise it's a good deal. It's got the Tera Echo, and to just buy that it's almost the same price as the whole unit.

chrish

What does a terra echo do that a reguar echo doesn't do?

( . )( . )

It uses that adaptive tech that a couple of other pedals have. I have it on the ME-80, and it's really cool in stereo, but loses a lot in mono.

aliensporebomb

For $200 if you were a beginner that would be a good pedalboard to get some basic sounds for things.  I'm sure the AxeFX owners are going to laugh at it but it's not meant to compete with them.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Chumly

In the right hands that little Boss is superior to the AxeFX. Who cares what the owners of AxeFX's do or do not do. The fact of the matter is that far too many people put far too much emphasis on 'the name on the headstock' while playing their oh-so-precious recycled wank.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

chrish

^No doubt that pat metheny could make that pedal sound good, but would he really use it on tour?

Chumly

Coincidentally, I saw Pat Metheny and his band a few years ago in a high-end venue.

It was a definitive disappointment, he could not get his GR-300 to function at all and the sound system was distorted i.e. incompetent soundman with (I suspect) a questionable understanding of gain-staging. The money I spent for both myself and my wife would have been much better put to use elsewhere.

Would I care if Pat Metheny used Boss products or not? Not a whit. If the concert had gone off without a hitch would I then care if Pat Metheny used Boss products or not? Not a whit.

And yep, my musical talents lie in performing recycled wank (assuming one wishes to believe I have musical talents). Also, I'm reasonably confidant that Pat Metheny is the superior musician in every sense of the word to my humble self.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

chrish

Speaking of recycled stuff. There was a mint condition gr-300 with mint guitar controller (that same one pat uses with the gr300, ibanez?) on ebay last week for under 3 grand. 

rolandvg99

I don't care what gear people use, cause I listen with my ears. Never been interested in what other people own and use if I can get the sounds I want from the gear I want. The GT-1 might end up in a gig-bag close to my address.

A friend of mine still uses his GT-6 and he sound great going into a Peavy Bandit 112. I have played with guitarist using gear worth of $ 10000 + sounding worse than I did using a stock Epiphone LP through a Korg AX3G.

An example of the Boss GT-6 and the Roland VG-99 in action some 2 years ago: Sivad (Miles Davis) - performed by Atle Pakusch Gundersen and RaSR

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

pasha811

Quote from: rolandvg99 on September 10, 2016, 10:55:59 PM
I don't care what gear people use, cause I listen with my ears. Never been interested in what other people own and use if I can get the sounds I want from the gear I want. The GT-1 might end up in a gig-bag close to my address.

A friend of mine still uses his GT-6 and he sound great going into a Peavy Bandit 112. I have played with guitarist using gear worth of $ 10000 + sounding worse than I did using a stock Epiphone LP through a Korg AX3G.

An example of the Boss GT-6 and the Roland VG-99 in action some 2 years ago: Sivad feat Atle P. Gundersen

Late 1980. I played in a band. One day Pat Metheney was there at the club (it was after a concert of a famous jazz swing group). He went on stage,
there was only a mesa amp. He plugged a guitar in and after some minutes, the signature sound was there. (No GR300, only Guitar Chorus & Reverb) So I am with you. It's not about the cost of the gear it's all about how you use it.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

chrish

If metheny started using a gt-1 to get his new signature tone, what percentage of this forum would buy one for that reason alone?

( . )( . )

Since you brought Pat up, I recently found this with Joni, Jaco, and Michael Brecker:

gumbo

Sadly, video content blocked in Australia on copyright grounds... :'(
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

Quote from: gumbo on September 11, 2016, 01:48:24 AM
Sadly, video content blocked in Australia on copyright grounds... :'(
same here..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jim Williams

What I see in the GT-1 is a stripped down GT-100. I bet there are only one amp path available at a time and a limited effects section (I mean not having more than one FX block). This is not a new product just a rehashed dumbed down version of the GT-100 with the path similar to the path of the GP-10. I have both products and love them. BOSS has not made anything new it is more like a GP-10 without COSM guitar modeling. It seems like a good buy for an entry level multi effects board but I think most of the Roland/BOSS users here will wait for 2018 for something better and I hope they re-invent the wheel with this one... So far I have not been impressed. I feel the GP-10 is the product to develop on, it has so much potential for improvement.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

chrish

Quote from: Jim Williams on September 11, 2016, 04:07:37 AM
What I see in the GT-1 is a stripped down GT-100. I bet there are only one amp path available at a time and a limited effects section (I mean not having more than one FX block). This is not a new product just a rehashed dumbed down version of the GT-100 with the path similar to the path of the GP-10. I have both products and love them. BOSS has not made anything new it is more like a GP-10 without COSM guitar modeling. It seems like a good buy for an entry level multi effects board but I think most of the Roland/BOSS users here will wait for 2018 for something better and I hope they re-invent the wheel with this one... So far I have not been impressed. I feel the GP-10 is the product to develop on, it has so much potential for improvement.

This dumbed down gear trend was predicted and yet people will still buy it. Imo,  due roland's brillant marketing appealling to peoples need to consume the latest new thing. Only it's not new as you point out.

chrish

Quote ''I have played with guitarist using gear worth of $ 10000 + sounding worse than I did using a stock Epiphone LP through a Korg AX3G.''

unquote
Was it the gear that made the guitarist with the expensive gear sound worse than you or do you have more technique and experience? In other words, if you used that same $10,000+ worth of gear would you sound better than you playing
your korg-epiphone combo?

It seems to me that a musician who has his chops down will always sound better than a less experienced musician no matter what the gear, or even the instrument.
~
For example, i just heard a classical guitarist, who plays bach, on the radio. With just a classical guitar, he blows the socks off every other guitar player that i have ever heard. He has changed classical techniques by adapting kora (sp?) music that is played on a 24 string goard instument. He plays a bass pattern, a harmony chord structure and a melody line, all at the same time on 6 strings. He sounds like 2 guitarists playing complex music.

( . )( . )

^ I believe talent/technique will undoubtedly almost always supercede gear, but I like this site because it has multiple combinations of gearheads, virtuosos, and electronic wizards.

Basically this is the coolest guitar site out there imo. I've been hooked since I found it last year. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

chrish

^When smart people buy dumb gear, what kind of gear will we see in the future?

rolandvg99

@chrish Thing is that on a stage in a noisy pub at low back line volume and everything going through a PA, only Billy Bob Golden Ears are going to hear the difference between a well tuned gizmo and a $2000 amp. I have had high profile players fooled more than twice.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

utensil

Any word on if it's class compliant for midi or audio?

Smash

Quote from: rolandvg99 on September 12, 2016, 10:05:14 PM
@chrish Thing is that on a stage in a noisy pub at low back line volume and everything going through a PA, only Billy Bob Golden Ears are going to hear the difference between a well tuned gizmo and a $2000 amp. I have had high profile players fooled more than twice.

exactly this ^ no time for gear snobbery and never will - if it sounds good it is good.