FC-300+iConnectMIDI4+=BeatBuddy MIDI control

Started by rolandvg99, August 08, 2016, 06:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

Human memory is a strange thing. I've been looking for hardware solutions to control my BeatBuddy from my FC-300 as Roland thinks CC messages above 95 is a waste. Then I remembered the iConnectMIDI could do that but only 8 on each input/output. 8 in and 8 out gives 16 CC remaps to any external device, enough to cover my BeatBuddy's assigns. Now it all works and I'm a happy, satisfied old man. Ju-hu!  8)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

carlb

Cool! Always neat to come up with work-arounds. What Beat Buddy features are you able to get to this way?

The Beat Buddy looks great - perfect for playing against to get a song idea or fragment onto an mp3. Is this what you mostly use it for?
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

rolandvg99

I get direct access to:
Tap Tempo
Direct tempo adjustment using EXP 2 of the FC-300
Accent
Intro
Fill
Transition
Start
Stop
Outro
Master Volume EXP 1
Headphone Volume EV-5 through separate input

Drum patterns are changed using the FC-300 PGC mode.

carlb

Wow. So sounds like that's workable for a solo or duo "live" gig ...

Of course, I mess up my looper trying to play it live so I can just imagine what hilarity could ensue for for me. Now I could add the beatbuddy *and* the looper!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

rolandvg99

One thing: The iConnectMIDI misses some CC messages if the BeatBuddy sends MIDI tempo sync. Will need to do some further tweaking to see if I can clean this up. Otherwise I'll just continue to use my Molten Voltage Tempo design and slave my system to that one.

Elantric

QuoteI've been looking for hardware solutions to control my BeatBuddy from my FC-300 as Roland thinks CC messages above 95 is a waste. Then I remembered the iConnectMIDI could do that but only 8 on each input/output. 8 in and 8 out gives 16 CC remaps to any external device, enough to cover my BeatBuddy's assigns. Now it all works and I'm a happy, satisfied old man. Ju-hu!

if you have a spare old IOS device and a  MIDI cable might try this
Midiflow – MIDI router/processor/sync clock/bluetooth
By Johannes Doerr
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midiflow-midi-router-processor/id879915554?mt=8

rolandvg99

Thanks for the input, Steve. I'm trying to steer away from software solutions. I have multiple working options using both IOS, MacOS and WIN, with MidiPipe being one of the most flexible. I constantly find myself in a position of messing about with solutions rather than playing/making music. :)

imerkat

I JUST added the new Beatbuddy firmware to try this with my FC-300. If i have to get an iConnectMIDI4 for it to almost work, might as well get another MIDI controller too :/. i wonder if the iConnectMIDI4 would allow me to use something like the softstep for Roland gear?

Elantric

KMI Softstep2  with its MIDI Expander box already serves as a decent Master MIDI controller for all your gear
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3242.msg124320#msg124320
no need for a iConnectMIDI4 - just feed Softep2's 5 pin MIDI output to control Beatbuddy and other gear map control of each using the SoftStep Editor

Same with a FCB-1010

I end up using the FC300 exclusively with the VG-99, bur Ive never been a fan of it as a MIDI Footcontroller its heavy and I hate the pedal arrangement of 5 pedals in 2 groups - i find it missing  features I need and its gaps in available assignable MIDI CC# range ( unable to transmit MIDI CC# messages above CC#95)   is appalling   - and discussions with Roland to address this with updated FC300 firmware is like talking to a tree

No wonder most Pros I know use the more versatile RJM MasterMind or MFC-101 instead

rolandvg99

Quote from: imerkat on August 09, 2016, 05:48:30 AM
I JUST added the new Beatbuddy firmware to try this with my FC-300. If i have to get an iConnectMIDI4 for it to almost work, might as well get another MIDI controller too :/. i wonder if the iConnectMIDI4 would allow me to use something like the softstep for Roland gear?

No need for an iConnectMIDI if you don't plan to USA a Roland Midi foot controller. I'm short on cash atm and try use what I have to solve an unnecessary problem that is directly linked to the shortcomings of my current gear. Follow Steve's suggestions and get a Soft step or FC1010.