Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2

Started by Elantric, July 08, 2016, 11:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 - simply amazing amp

I recently acquired a Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2  12" with the stock Celestion "Classic Lead 80" internal speaker.

It really does deliver an amazingly smooth "tube amp" experience, best when coupled with its optional

Quilter 6 position foot control
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/accessories-in-depth/Universal-6-Position-foot-controller
QuoteChannel Switching
Switch from channel 1 to channel 2

Boost
Engage the Boost function.

Overdrive Limiter
The unique overdrive limiter function gives you an additional tone preset that you can combine with the mode and boost functions.

Tremolo
Activate the tremolo from the foot controller whenever you need this classic effect.

Reverb
Reverb can be activeted with the foot controller.

Effects Loop
The effects loop works with effects pedals.

A 15 foot, flexible connector cable

--
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/mach2-amplifiers/micropro-mach-2-12-inch

The Quilter 12 inch Mach 2 combo is the ultimate amp when you need serious power in a small package. With a throatier voice and more presence, the Classic Lead 80 lives up to its name. A sealed enclosure calibrated to deliver a very balanced and beautiful tone, combined with the powerful and up front characteristics of the speaker are perfect for the player who plays lead, rock, blues, or anyone wanting serious power. Great for electric instruments, the 12 inch combo packs a serious punch for players who love the sound of a 12 inch speaker, and want something powerful enough to handle a full band but portable enough to go anywhere. Combine this with our 12 inch extension cabinet for staggering power that will easily handle outdoor gigs without a PA system. Weighing in at 27 pounds, it is easy to carry and small enough to go anywhere.

All Quilter combo amps come with a sturdy ballistic nylon cover included.

User Profile: You are a musician that plays rock or blues, or you are a lead player. • You want that beautiful biting tone normally associated with a 12 inch speaker. • Your gigs include the need to be loud enough to cut through multiple instruments. • You want to be able to terrify people at max volume. • You want no tradeoff between power and portability. • You want to sound good and look good doing it.

Characteristics:

Powerful: 100 watts per channel. 200 watts total when using channel 1 and 2.
Toneful: Patented next generation analog technology.
Portable: Take it on board the plane and put in the overhead bin.
Reliable: Stop fussing with 70 year old unreliable technology and play more!
Ultra-Light: The heavy duty magnet adds a few more pounds, but still far lighter than any serious 12 inch combo you've ever played.
Modular: Combine this with our matching extension speaker, or use your own for outdoor or extremely loud gigs.
Flexible: Works with nearly any impedance, or even with the speaker unplugged.
Consistent: Our power supply auto-adapts regardless of the voltage the wall is dishing out. Your tone never suffers, even from "nightclub voltage."
Not light enough for you? Want even MORE power? Check out the new Heavy Duty version! Click Here
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/mach2-amplifiers/micropro-mach-2-hd-combo-heavy-duty-12

Foot controllers are optional, so be sure to choose from one of the three options.

2 Position standard controller controls only channel switching and reverb.

The 2 position selectable controller controls any of 6 selectable functions: Channel switching, Boost, Limiter, Tremolo, Reverb, and FX Loop.

The 6 position controls all 6 functions: Channel switching, Boost, Limiter, Reverb, Tremolo and FX Loop.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/accessories-in-depth/Universal-6-Position-foot-controller

Be sure to check out the deluxe carrying case. The Mach 2 fits completely inside, providing the ultimate protection for your investment in tone.

Can't get enough specs? Click Here for the MicroPro Mach 2 manual

http://www.quilterlabs.com/misc/000611-REVA.pdf

Elantric

Allan Holdsworth is currently using these  Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 amps on tour.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/in-depth-test

They do have very clean high dynamic range and the Channel 2 front combo XLR/TRS Line input is an effective means to connect your VG/GR/GP gear 

The ability do dial in "your sound" using just the Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2's built in front panel amp controls is amazing - and no menu diving!

https://web.archive.org/web/20111214234245/http://www.qscaudio.com:80/corporate/history.htm

vtgearhead

I remember talking at length with Pat at the QSC booth during the NY AES convention - maybe 1983 or so.  Really personable and a very smart fellow.  This was right before QSC released their first high-end power amps and they were showing them off at impressive levels.  At that time, AES exhibits were in regular-sized rooms at the Waldorf-Astoria. I think they could easily have loosened masonry on the outside of the building.

Elantric

My only annoyance so far is most Quilter Dealers who sell the 6 position Pedal tell you they have them in stock and ready to ship

But after you purchase , you find out they need to order directly from Quilter and then send the pedal to you. I've already had a few gigs I wanted to use the MicroPro , but it's useless without the pedal I ordered two weeks ago
Ugh!

whippinpost91850

Boy that SUCKS. been there. Hope you get it soon

GuitarBuilder

Any thoughts about using two of these onstage for stereo?  I wonder if one foot controller could be used for both?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

jwhitcomb3

I plugged into an original MicroPro 8" combo at a jam session in April, and a week later purchased a MicroPro Mach 2 8" combo. I won't bother trying to convince anyone how big, full, and loud this tiny (19 lbs!) combo sounds, because you simply won't believe me.

This is the amp I've been looking for forever. Works great for acoustic gigs with a mic into the channel 1 XLR input and acoustic guitar through channel 2. As far as electric guitar goes, it is mind-bogglingly versatile, if not entirely intuitive. But in a good way. That is, settings I stumble upon that I'd otherwise have no inclination to explore still sound great.

There are five different "boost modes", and they all behave a little differently. So if you change the boost mode, relative volume levels and associate gain levels often need to be adjusted as well. However, I have found all five boost modes to be useful in different situations. The limiter also responds differently to different boost modes. Similarly, the different amp voicings interact differently with the various boosts. Every day I find a new favorite setting.

Love the reverb and tremolo. The XLR direct out sounds great. The one downside is that the effects loop is strangely implemented. The two channels are oddly routed to the FX send, so their relative volumes at the FX send may be wildly different. As a result, if you have a looper or delay going in the effects loop and switch channels, the volume of the delayed/looped signal can drop to nothing or become insanely loud upon switching.

Quirks aside, this amp sounds GREAT. I've been having wonderful fun putting different guitars through it as well as putting my GP-10 in front of it, or my iPad via a MOTU MicroBook IIc hosting Tonestack, Bias FX, etc. The Quilter happily takes whatever I throw at it, adds mojo and makes it louder.

FWIW, I ordered the 6 button pedal through my local music shop (Manchester Music Mill, where I purchased the amp), and it arrived in about a week. I am thinking about buying the 12" HD extension cabinet and one of the Quilter tone blocks (or maybe an Aviator head), so I can configure it as a stack, or use the block/extension combo as a separate guitar or bass amp (the 12" HD cabinet speaker is a Celestion BN12-300s).

Don't think for a moment this is a compromise amp. You are giving up size, weight, and maintenance hassles. All that's left is tone, volume, and smiles.

Elantric

QuoteAny thoughts about using two of these onstage for stereo? 

I may be headed in that direction

QuoteI wonder if one foot controller could be used for both?

Yes - one Quilter 6 Position Footcontroller includes Two separate RJ-45 connectors - for controlling two Micro Pro amps with one footpedal

Elantric

yuri

Ineresting   , This amp sound is  better of your kemper ?  (via  PA monitors)

Elantric

It's not a Kemper replacement , they each serve different purposes.

But it does work well for amplifying DSP modelers.

jwhitcomb3

The Quilter is really its own thing. It is the solid state amp for tube guys who never thought they would like love a solid state amp. Loud, light, "tube-like," reasonably priced, and just oozes mojo.

But...with the exception of the reverb circuit, this is an analog amp. Quilter has gone out of its way to say this is not a modeling amp, and I understand why. "Modeling amp" has, up to now, generally referred to digital modeling (a notable exception is the Tech 21 SansAmp MOSFET analog solid state amps). But read Quilter's patent application, and it is clear that this is a modeling amp, just not a digital one. Quilter looked at the relationships between the guitar and amp front end, each stage of the preamp and amp sections, and even the amp output to speakers, and created solid state analog components that emulate (or, dare I say, model) those interactions. In contrast, a typical digital modeling amp (the Kemper too?) plays the input/output transfer function game.

I'm not afraid of the word "modeling." But I can understand why Quilter marketing wants to distance themselves from the word. Whatever you want to call it, this is a killer sounding amp that gives you the sound, and more importantly, the feel of a tube amp without the size, weight, price, fragility, heat, unreliability, and other hassles associated with tube amps.

Elantric

QuoteI'm not afraid of the word "modeling." But I can understand why Quilter marketing wants to distance themselves from the word. Whatever you want to call it, this is a killer sounding amp that gives you the sound, and more importantly, the feel of a tube amp without the size, weight, price, fragility, heat, unreliability, and other hassles associated with tube amps.

Agreed - and since there is no A/D >DSP>D/A in the Quilter's main signal path  - there is no latency  and it takes external FX pedals very well 

( . )( . )

After listening to some YouTube clips, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. Has anyone played with the Toneblocks or Problocks?

jwhitcomb3

Last December I purchased a Katana 100 with a 12" speaker, and put my MicoPro M2 8 away for a while. About 3 weeks ago, I grabbed the Quilter for a jam session, and was reminded what a great amp it is. The other guitarists kept commenting on the great tone, and I was reminded how effortless it is to get great sounds from this amp. It was also great to be able to run my guitar and a mic through the same amp.

For now, the Quilter is back as my #1 amp. Not saying its better than the Katana, just that it is simply too good an amp to put aside.

telemike

Would like to compare a Quilter to my Bluescube