JTV - Gretsch Duo Jet "Powerbilly" Bank

Started by tlite, May 14, 2016, 08:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlite

Hi there- in the interest of reviving some interest in new banks for the forum (I just got a Variax and have been having a blast trying out all these banks on the forum), here's one of my favorites I created.

It's called "Powerbilly" because it sounds amazing with just a bit of dirt on the overdrive- great for blues or hard driving Rockabilly a la Horton Heat or others.  Was going for something vintage with an edge to it.  Super fun.  Clean it has a kind of a jazzy or 70's country/rock sound (to my ear, anyway).  Overall, a Rockabilly-ish sound with a bit more "OOMPH" for more powerful and hard-driven rock tones.

This bank uses the Gretsch Duo Jet ("Jetliner") body, and wide range humbuckers throughout 5 settings. 

I used a 1 MO pot for tone, which allows you to dial a bit out of the dark for a brighter, pluckier tone.  Still sounds plenty humbuckery and with tone dialed back is plenty dark.

I like to use my volume to dial in and out of the overdriven tone more than as pure volume, which is useful in Rockabilly, so used Linear volume pot for this bank.

Finally added just a touch of blend from the magnetic pickups (5%) so as to add some authenticity to the tone, but if you use the modeled alternates a lot, you can easily modify the blend back to 0% and it still sounds pretty darn good.

Positions (all wide range humbuckers- used the neck pickup in neck and mid positions, bridge at the bridge):
1: Bridge
2: Bridge & Mid
3: Bridge & Neck
4: Mid & Neck
5: Neck

Hope you have fun with it- I'm open to tips and feedback- let me know if you have any good tweaks!

-Ted

tlite

Refined this a bit.  Used bridge pickup for the mid humbucker, and lowered the capacitance to not get too muddy.

Also, I added a version with the 89's giving it a hotter vibe.

Burnhaven

Only trick with dialing in some of the magnetics is you have to be careful if you use alternate tunings.  I do this with my JTV59 and Helix and it can catch you by surprise since the magnetics mess up alternate tunings.
:-)

mrgroovy

These sound GREAT!  Thank you for posting and for commenting on why you used certain settings.  Just got my Variax, so I'm still learning.  This helps a lot.