GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO bugs/errors/issues

Started by jwhitcomb3, April 07, 2016, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Backing up and then applying the live set I get weird patches
but not clicking them in library and manually saving them in GP
In other words the patches seems to save ok to librarian but not when transferring them back
From the editor no problem. I need a midi bulk dump as well. This feels rather insecure out on the road.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Autana, Great work tracking this down with all the details.
This BTS bug impacts every Boss GP-10 user.

Let's hope we see a fix arriving from Boss soon

It's not my "network Firewall" as their Customer support suggests.

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on June 17, 2016, 06:28:07 AM
Let's hope we see a fix arriving from Boss soon
It's not my "network Firewall" as their Customer support suggests.

Yeah! hopefully Boss firewall settings allows them to listen us  ;D
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

Quote from: Brak(E)man on June 17, 2016, 06:23:20 AM
Backing up and then applying the live set I get weird patches
but not clicking them in library and manually saving them in GP
In other words the patches seems to save ok to librarian but not when transferring them back
From the editor no problem. I need a midi bulk dump as well. This feels rather insecure out on the road.

It is true, I forgot to mention it, possibly the bug may finally corrupt GP-10 memory and system, it happened with mine,  I solved doing a factory reset, and my patches transfer back fine again, although I noticed, as already mentioned in another post, that custom system (like your GK seetings) will be lost, since they are not stored within GP-10 backup.

For factory reset:

Quote from: Elantric on February 20, 2015, 02:47:35 PM
1) Save any of your Custom GP-10 patches

2) Perform a Boss GP-10 Factory reset - this will restore ALL the original patches

learn how here:
* Boss GP-10 Factory Reset Procedure
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12047.msg87407#msg87407

Boss GP-10 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11796.msg85343#msg85343
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Autana on June 17, 2016, 10:58:01 AM
It is true, I forgot to mention it, possibly the bug may finally corrupt GP-10 memory and system, it happened with mine,  I solved doing a factory reset, and my patches transfer back fine again, although I noticed, as already mentioned in another post, that custom system (like your GK seetings) will be lost, since they are not stored within GP-10 backup.

For factory reset:

Did you do a backup of all patches or one by one ?

also I've encountered more issues this time with 12 string tuning,
After editing a user 12 string , when saving or hitting enter after
writing in the value in the detune box , it jumped back where it started.
All mods in the 12 string tuning gone , when using the small arrows it worked.

- Lydia Lunch

Autana

I make full memory backup using "Backup" tab in BTS Librarian and posterior restoring with "ApplyLiveSet" tab.  I've only done it once, I'll check out again asap in order to verify memory integrity. I still think the bug probably corrupt  GP-10 system/memory eventually, mostly after some editing sessions.

I do not remember of 12 string tuning issues happened here, maybe I was not enuff attentive, but I can report issues happened with other editing parameters, such as meaningless settings changes on EFX, AMP and COSM choices. As I said all did work fine after factory reset.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Still zero response from Roland / Boss on this GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO bug!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VGuitarForums/

groovey1

Just finished a tweaking session where I used the BTS editor to make changes but then always used the physical Write button on the GP-10 unit to save instead of clicking the BTS Write button. As far as I can tell, this seems to save correctly without mangling any settings.

I've been particularly having problems with a patch that has the fx set to Tremolo. BTS appears to always read the Rate and Depth parameters as zero, even though they actually have much higher values. Then when I saved from BTS, it would set them both to zero - essentially turning off the Tremolo. Saving on the unit seems to get around this, even though the values still display incorrectly in the BTS editor.

So like I said, this seems to be a workaround that still allows me to still use the editor. Hopefully I won't get any nasty surprises at tonight's gig!

jassy

Quote from:  cplm
Just give a try to the previous version --> BTS 1.0.0

At the moment, it is still possible to download it through this overseas support page:

http://it.boss.info/products/gp-10/downloads/

It has been deleted... could someone send me that BTS 1.0 for windows 7? having problems saving presets...

jassy

Quote from:  cplm
Still for a little while, the file can be downloaded here:

http://za.boss.info/support/by_product/gp-10/updates_drivers/7031

za is South Africa
Thank you.
I hope this version has less bugs because the 1.1 one is a nightmare it keeps reverting things that have been edited, how is it possible with an "editor"!?!

Elantric

QuoteI hope this version has less bugs because the 1.1 one is a nightmare it keeps reverting things that have been edited, how is it possible with an "editor"!?!

My question - How is it possible Roland /Boss ignores our requests to fix the buggy Version 1.10 Boss Tone Studio Editor - 
Its going on 3 months since I reported this to Roland / Boss -and no reply!

--

GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO bugs/errors/issues
« on: April 07, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »

First session with the v1.1.0, and I'm having problems. I made a patch using the Natural Amp COSM model, but when I drag it to a setlist in the librarian, and then click on the new patch in the setlist, it always jumps back to the Clean Twin model, and some other parameters also don't stick. Tried this several times with the same result. Anyone else noticed similar problems?

Brak(E)man

The bugs I described earlier in this thread is on the first version 1.0.0 on Mac osx 10.6 and 10.10

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Boss is not interested in bugs on (stale) version 1.00 of Boss Tone Studio

Version 1.10 is the current version - and it has major bugs

--
Autana wrote>

Workaround for the patch save bug in GP-10 BTS version 1.1.0 (no tested in 1.0.0 yet)

Quote from: pf! on June 16, 2016, 04:54:10 PM
My issue is I can't save my patches to a live set.  If I save a patch to a live set and then go to the live set to check it, I find it is a completely different patch.  If I take that Incorrect patch just I saved and put it on the GP-10, it transfers over as the completely same incorrect patch.

This BTS bug in GP-10 version has been reported and it is more or less consistent from one case to another.
After analyzing certain patterns of behavior, I could find a workaround that while not resolve the bug, it does allows me to properly save my patches without errors or alteration. In my case it works, but everyone should check if it does as well.

The workaround came after I realized some weird facts in BTS bug behave:

1- the first 10 patches, located in the BTS left list, corresponding to the GP-10 slots from 01 to 10, at least in my case always are saved fine and without alterations to library/Live Set. The problem is on any other patch from 11 onwards in rows slots x1 to x9 of each ten, EXCEPT (here the weirdest thing) the x0 of the each ten row, for example, patches 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 36, 38, 39 will be wrongly saved with the data from patches 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 and 09 respectively,  but patch 30 will save fine and unaltered. 

2- I noticed that while the patch is wrongly saved, it retains its name unchanged, but at the same time I look the GP-10 screen display and there appear the name and data corresponding to other patch located always within the first 10 memory slots. That is the real patch was saved in BTS LiveSet! In precise terms, there is not corrupted patch data, only is exchanged with the parameters data from another patch, due to the BTS bug.

For example, if you save patch 28 or 58 or 98 or any x8 of a ten row, the bugged BTS wrongly will save the parameters data corresponding to patch number 08 instead, but retaining the correct patch name in the LiveSet.

To summarize
Under the GP-10 BTS version 1.10, the only patches numbers that will be saved correctly and without alterations are: the first ten from 01 to 10, and patches 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90. All others (x1 to x9 of each ten row except 01-10) will be saved improperly.    Use these "safe slots" for your patch editions, if you need to save them to BTS Library/LiveSet.

TIP: another workaround if you need to save a lot of patches to BTS library, from any slot number and without errors, is to make a backup of GP-10 memory, which will appear as a new LiveSet. No problem and no errors exist when copying patches from one LiveSet to another.

Brak(E)man

I only pointed out that version 1.0.0 at least on Mac has some bad bugs too so that anyone going back to that version is aware

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

The Roland UK forum has died -

but there is an official Roland  / Boss Canada Forum here

https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/forums/21240743-BOSS-GUITAR

Since Boss US ignores my communications, I have attempted to post on the Roland  / Boss Canada Forum about the Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 version 1.10 bug

But its pending a moderator approval

vtgearhead

I'm surprised you were able to register.  Their web portal manages to figure out that my IP address is not located in Canada and refuses to let me proceed after answering the Captcha.

Elantric

Not expecting any results.

I've also contacted Boss US Facebook page back in June 2016  - no response

Maybe Chumly can communicate with Roland Canada on their Forum and assist in getting the news to Boss Canada HQ that they are distributing software full of bugs

slooky

I have been in touch with a guy named Vince on that forum and this is my correspondence with him so far

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I will forward the information to our engineers in Japan. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please try uninstalling and reinstalling the software and see if anything changes. Let us know.

Thanks,

Vince
August 18, 2016, 09:57
User photo Kevin Rowan
Hi Vince: Thank you for this. I uninstalled the software and still had the old software 1.0.0 so I installed that. That one I know is working right.

August 18, 2016, 10:14
User photo Vincent Cifarelli
Ok good to know. I would recommend that you continue using the old version for the time being.

I'll get back to you sometime next week with an update.

Thanks,

Vince
August 18, 2016, 10:22

Elantric

I / We appreciate the news of your successful contact with Roland / Boss Canada   !

At least you are having a dialogue.

its slow going with my attempts!
https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/forums/21240743-BOSS-GUITAR

Elantric

Well this explains why no response from Roland / Boss
Gary Lenaire (former head of Boss US now works for Fishman
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-lenaire-55176554

as I start humming Theme from Exodus"

imaginenewmedia

Too bad. as a new user, I'm totally disgusted that patches are corrupted everytime I try to save a change to the gp10. Worst for me, alternate tunings disappear, wah effect disappears. You don't notice till your with your bandmates and an effect you call up doesn't work. It's embarrassing. I'm wondering if its hardware specific, as my system - win 7 64bit - also hangs on occasion when downloading livesets to my gp10. I'll try it on another couple of computers to see if it works better.

Elantric

The only course of action we have is

1 ) Register your Boss GP-10 with your regional Boss Distributor

Here is Boss US
https://www.bossus.com/support/email_support/?_ga=1.149276470.1688792724.1471367642

2 ) Create a Support Email regarding the bugs in BTS for GP-10 Version 1.10

(need to register your product first,   before you can create a support email)

If we get many folks doing that - maybe Boss will get their head out the sand and contact Roland / Boss Japan and inform that the GP-10 users are experiencing problems

But given past track record I dont expect a solution this year.

vtgearhead

What are the known issues with the original 1.00 version of BTS?  I've been using it since I first bought the GP-10 and have not seen any obvious problems.

Elantric

Brak-e-man reported the following with BTS for GP-10 1.00:

QuoteMy issue is I can't save my patches to a live set.  If I save a patch to a live set and then go to the live set to check it, I find it is a completely different patch.  If I take that Incorrect patch just I saved and put it on the GP-10, it transfers over as the completely same incorrect patch.

I've had similar issues with Mac OSX 10.6 and the first version of BTS , ( why not skip the T )
Haven't tried OSX 10.10 which i use for SY --300 or upgraded BTS yet.
I usually don't upgrade for a good 6 months to a year for obvious reasons , but Roland/Boss takes the price so far in software glitches , bugs and errors , sad since the products are good with a lot of unused potential

Elantric

It may be that all versions of BTS for GP-10 are corrupt

Myself I typically just use BTS for GP-10 as an editor for a single patch and then just press the GP-10 "Write" button twice to save directly on the GP-10. then power down and disconnect the USB prior to the gig

It seems as a librarian , the procedure for patch management  /re- arrangement in "Livesets" is where the bugs manifest and patches get corrupted.

This post explains the Bugs in detail
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17889.msg131157#msg131157