GP10- step-filter effect?

Started by wackyjacky, August 31, 2015, 08:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wackyjacky

Hi, there a Step filter effect that Frank Zappa uses a lot - I managed to get something like it with GuitarRig - but wondered if it was possible to get that sort of effect with the GP-10?
I've attached an example of the GuitarRig attempt.

sixeight

It sound more like a ring modulator to me. The GP-10 does not have one. Maybe you could create with a combination of the t-wah and an eq where you roll off mid and low.

Elantric

In a past life , I actually installed a few of these inside a few of Franks guitars when i worked at Valley Arts Guitar

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

Just google: "Dan Armstrong "Green Ringer"

I rigged it up with a custom stacked "blend pot"  so Frank could dial in a blend of dry guitar and Green Ringer to taste.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/dan-armstrong-sound-modifiers-1

Green Ringer
The Green Ringer combines distortion with an interesting ring modulator-like effect. According to the manual, if a single note is played it creates a tone one octave above. I did notice some subtle ring modulation on the breakup, which was cool in its own right, but playing two notes into the Green Ringer is where the fun really starts. The manual also states that, depending on the interval played, the tone the Ringer produces will either be harmonically related to the original note or dissonant. There are a lot of variables here and inventive players will love this.

This pedal really begs for experimentation. You can go from awesome Octavia-like sounds to crazy, out-there ring modulation. Throw in some unison bends and you'll be greeted with a cacophony of sounds coming out of your amp. The pedal doesn't really offer that much gain, but throw it in front of another distortion device and you have gold. The Green Ringer seems born to be paired with the Blue Clipper – it really brightens up the Clipper's tone and gives you all the aforementioned effects without diminishing them at all. Due to the noticable lack of controls, this pedal is simple to use – just plug it in and go. I did notice that the effect is more prevalent on the neck pickup than the bridge and build quality is on par with the Blue Clipper.

All in all, I really enjoyed the Green Ringer. It allows the musician to control what kind of ring modulation they want by knowing how the notes they play will affect the sound. If you've been in the market for a ring modulator, or just want to add some flavor to your riffs, this comes highly recommended.

Elantric

I still own a Musitronics Octaver - that includes the same Dan Armstrong Green Ringer on  a switch - years later I learned this was what Jeff Beck used on Blow by Blow - go figure)