VController version 1

Started by sixeight, May 31, 2015, 04:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteI don't expect anyone to have answers off the top of their heads...

The EU/UK folks have a much easier time obtaining the Roland GR-55 Service manual  - perhaps they could assist?

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on July 16, 2015, 08:41:59 AM
Agreed!  And if I could get ahold of a GR-55 service manual to determine why the mainboard-only build I posted a couple of years ago misbehaves, the GR-55 would be a lot easier to integrate with other gear, e.g. the KPA.

This whole project is really impressive.  Not sure how it's slipped under my radar for this long.

Well you found it now! ;D

supernicd

I'm also following this with interest.  Man, do I envy you guys who can dream up hardware and turn it into reality. ;)

Half tempted to try this at home, as the documentation and bill of materials gets clearer and clearer, mostly because this is one of the few projects I've seen posted here that doesn't involve potentially screwing up an expensive Roland box with a soldering or other mis-step.  Seems like a good learning experience.

Either way - GO SIXEIGHT!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Headless68

I have a contact of someone in Roland UK from previous dealings - I will ask regarding the GR55 service manual

Headless

Headless68

Head of UK customer service has asked spares dept to assist with my request for GR-55 Service Manual ....fingers crossed then

Headless

Headless68

Ok - I have the GR-55 service manual thanks to the very nice people at Roland UK ....its just over 10mb -
Steve what's the best way to get it on the forum ? (probably need to get off Sixeight's thread too :-)   

Headless

mbenigni

Quote from: Headless68 on July 17, 2015, 06:22:48 AM
Ok - I have the GR-55 service manual thanks to the very nice people at Roland UK ....its just over 10mb -
Steve what's the best way to get it on the forum ? (probably need to get off Sixeight's thread too :-)   

Headless

Thank you, Headless!  More than likely this info will just indicate that a fix is not feasible (with my skills/resources) but it would still be good to know for sure.

sixeight

Short update on the VController pedal:

I am very happy with the patch selection. I have bank up/down working and I also included a direct select mode. That way you can type the number of the patch and go there straight.

Now I am working on the stompbox settings, where I was hoping to build in parameter feedback from the GP10, GR55 and VG99. But I am reaching the limits of my programming skills here and also there are a lot of limitations in the devices. Was a little frustrated about it today.

I am only a few days away from my holiday in France. It is about time to take a break from this project.

whippinpost91850

Well it seems you have made great progress. Sounds like you should go enjoy your holiday and come back with fresh eyes :)

Yohanes

Headless

Hi Headless,

I am repairing my Roland VS-880 Expanded, and looking for its power supply output voltage rating. I have been searching the internet but cannot find the service manual. Wondering if you could help asking  for the service manual? Or at least the power supply modul output pin voltages?
Apologize for out of topic and out of place request.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

sixeight

Did a quick teaser on the VController, just before I'm off on holiday.  8)

Shows how the pedal does patch change, shows patch names and actively detects the GP10, GR55 and VG99. I really like the direct select option. I can access any user patch in three to five button presses. Also patch mode for the GP10 is working. :)

At the end I noticed patch change on the VG99 was not picked up by the pedal. Must be some typo somewhere in the code.

After the holiday I will finish patch mode for GR55 (no midi specification, so lots of work and no way to start the tuner through midi  >:() and VG99 via FC300 emulation.

Got some other great ideas too. But that can wait. France, here I come...

sixeight

Oops. Changed access restriction on the video.
Connection to the GP10 is still through my MacBook via midibridge.
I still have to do the raspberry pi and build it in.

Elantric

QuoteShows how the pedal does patch change, shows patch names and actively detects the GP10, GR55 and VG99.

Connection to the GP10 is still through my MacBook via midibridge.
I still have to do the raspberry pi and build it in.

Got it - good job!

Elantric

gumtown

I have ordered parts to make this,
except I have to question the choice of opto coupler,
the 4N35 is not very high speed, most midi devices use the 6N138 to cope with the data rate of midi.
Are you having any issues with received midi data?

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chappi

Hi Gumtown

Where in NZ are you ordering from?

Cheers
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumtown

Quote from: chappi on July 22, 2015, 02:52:39 PM
Hi Gumtown

Where in NZ are you ordering from?

Cheers
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The switches and display from eBay as per the links a page back or so, you can't beat the free delivery.
The Teeny LC from http://nicegear.co.nz/arduino-boards/teensy-lc/
I am still sitting on the fence for the leds though.
Opto isolators I get through RS Components - I have a trade account there.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Ordered the leds now too, I see they are addressable ones, so that specific type are needed anyway.

The Teensy LC turned up in the mail at work, just before I was off for the day,
so I got the blinky program running, and changed it's blink rate easy enough.

utensil

Headless

Hey did the service manual get uploaded to the forum, can someone post the link , I'd love to have a look at it , I'm interested in separating the foot switches from the control board so I could use them together or separately.

sixeight

Quote from: gumtown on July 22, 2015, 02:11:50 PM
I have ordered parts to make this,
except I have to question the choice of opto coupler,
the 4N35 is not very high speed, most midi devices use the 6N138 to cope with the data rate of midi.
Are you having any issues with received midi data?

Wifi access while on holiday. Couldn't resist checking out vguitarforums.com. Good to have you aboard Gumtown. You must be the expert on all sysex related issues. Maybe you could help out on my idea of copying assignments from the GP-10 and GR-55. For afaik it is not possible to "press" a CTL button through a sysex or cc message on these devices, but could the VController pedal copy the behaviour of the assignments and do it that way? I need to know if this requires long lists to line up the assignment targets with the actual parameters or if there is a simple one-to-one relationship.

The choice of the optocoupler is a lazy one. I ordered parts at vanallesenmeer.nl and these were the parts they had available. They are very cheap. I never checked out the specs of these devices. So far they have given me no trouble.

And now I should get back to enjoying my holiday... ;D

sixeight

Got back from holiday and spent some time programming.
I can now control the FC300 CTL-1 to CTL-8 assigns on the VG-99 from the V-Controller. They also do parameter feedback on the display and they all have LEDs showing the actual status (not just CTL-1 and 2 as it is on the FC300)

Parameter feedback works for around 100 common parameters for switches. So basically if I press CTL-1, the pedal will tell me what it is assigned to. I do this by reading out the assignments on patch change from the VG-99. By reading out the actual parameter it is assigned to as well, I also check on the LED state on patch change.

whippinpost91850

That's pretty exciting, can't wait to see where else this takes you 8)

Elantric

QuoteI can now control the FC300 CTL-1 to CTL-8 assigns on the VG-99 from the V-Controller. They also do parameter feedback on the display and they all have LEDs showing the actual status (not just CTL-1 and 2 as it is on the FC300)

Almost begs for a larger LCD display!

gumtown

Quote from: Elantric on August 04, 2015, 02:24:54 PM
When I ordered the LCD, I did a quick browse to see if there were any jumbo ones available, but decided on the same as the project recommendation.

My foot switches have arrived  :)

I look forward to offering any assistance, if you may require, so far it's looking great !!  ;D

I also ordered a second display, and a 20 pack of Marshall (copy) gold top knobs,
as a branch off of the project, I am making a midi knob box that can mount on a mic stand which can control the preamps.
That has been my biggest gripe with modelers, I still had this want for twiddling the preamp tone on the fly.

I think the Arduino way is great that other D.I.Y.ers can (reasonably easily) replicate a project without the need for special programming hardware and such.

sixeight

Quote from: Elantric on August 04, 2015, 02:24:54 PM

The recommended display is OK, but not as good as the display of the GP10.

I am considering using an OLED display instead of an LCD one. They are more expensive, but also have better visibility. I am pretty sure the GP10 has an OLED display.