VGuitar Writer's Challenge Suggestions

Started by DreamTheory, April 28, 2015, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

Moderators- I have an idea- would this be appropriate for this forum?

The basic idea is to go beyond just the technical demo by an individual. Once a month suggest a theme. People post a song in reply, and it would be interesting to hear what different people do with it.

There could be restrictions, like
- must be all GR-55 or must feature GR-55 prominently
- must be less than 3 minutes
- must be free to download/share (can have creative Commons license)

Themes could be a feature of the GR-55 ("your best solo piano piece," or "what do you make of the Ring Modulator effect," or "crossfades," etc.) and/or a topical theme such as "Robots!" or a holiday (Labor Day has like nothing and Christmas gets a whole radio station) and/or a genre (bluegrass band). 

No competition, no ratings, no feedback, just sharing. I think Roland has a social network on their site, but involves some kind of contest or voting (ugh).

Metafilter does this sort of thing but I think it would be particularly interesting if it was all GR-55 users.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Elantric

Great idea

Lets make it so

Not the first contest of the is type

Bill Ruppert started a "Best scary Sound contest for VG-99 back around Halloween 2008,

and Feloniouspunk resurrected this in 2009, with only a few participants due to lack of incentive  / prizes.

The Over The Top Guitar Synthesizer Patch Extravaganzia Contest!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1575.msg8533#msg8533

If you get get more than three submissions  - you are doing well.

and some might consider this task already accomplished

GR-55 Patch exchange area
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=67.0

Roland GR-55 Examples
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=158.0

Vade

Dream_Theory; "No competition, no ratings, no feedback, just sharing. I think Roland has a social network on their site, but involves some kind of contest or voting (ugh)."

I rather like the format they have here but I could do without the voting.

http://jamq.org/jamqueue/harmonica/hbmainstage/listeningpost.php

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Mrchevy

I like this idea. It seems I spend so much time just reading and putzing with the technology of it all and spend little time actually playing. A regular challenge of some sort would encourage the best of both worlds.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

DreamTheory

Quote from: Mrchevy on April 29, 2015, 06:07:52 AM
I like this idea. It seems I spend so much time just reading and putzing with the technology of it all and spend little time actually playing. A regular challenge of some sort would encourage the best of both worlds.

That's the spirit!

I also think Elantric's observation that some might say we already have sharing is valid. So, rather than reinvent the wheel or create cumbersome apparatus, let's just propose themes right here in the Examples board, for instance by putting "Writer's Challenge" in the subject line. I will go ahead and make one up soon.  I just wanted to be sure it was OK with the moderators, and not out of line with this very well run little forum.

It might be fun to try to pick out the lesser known features and hard to use parameters, partly to dispel (OK, ameliorate) people's doubts about guitar synths, and partly to take up the gauntlet that Roland basically threw down. Cool new gear is coming out right and left, but I still have not worked through GR-55 all the way yet. I feel like GR-55 was/is sort of a plot climax, and some of the (very cool) more specialized new units are like the denouement. Whether or not time proves that wrong, we (users) will be the ones to discover a new insight, or have fun trying.

Two or three submissions would be just fine, since for me this is not about getting "likes" but sharing ideas. Before proposing a challenge, a little investigation into the site's history only seems respectful of what has been already posted.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Elantric

All sounds good  -just preface ALL new posts with the target processor  - like this:

"GR-55 - Writer's Challenge x x x x x"

DreamTheory

The challenge: In light of Cricket's recent discovery of hidden drum sounds, I think it appropriate to issue a challenge for people to use them.

Read about what Cricket found and how to find it here:
GR-55 - Playing PCM Drums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4437.0

"Guidelines" for the Challenge:
- post an MP3 of a song featuring some of the hidden GR-55 drum sounds
- deadline is 5/15. Why? Because more challenges are likely to emerge. Late entries welcome.
- songs are free to download and share
- Keep it short, so as not to bog yourself down. 2 to 3.5 minutes-ish will do.
- Feel free to post your patch with it, and any technical notes. We are gonna want to know how you did that!
- Suggestions: recreate a drum circle type jam, marching band, or luau. World beats, anyone? Not limited to drums only, make it a full song song in whatever style you like, if you want. Extra credit if it ties in with Mother's Day, Father's Day, or Memorial Day.
- Prizes, Voting, Promotional Opportunities: none.

What's the thinking behind this challenge? See this thread:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14792.msg105890#msg105890

Have an idea for a challenge? Post it! Per request of moderator, use the same Subject line format

GR-55 - Writer's Challenge XXXX

Or message me if you want to coordinate.

Elantric

viramundo posted
GR-55 - Steely Dan's Black Cow video with drums from GR55 & utilizing looper
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12499.0

Mrchevy

Elantric, How difficult would it be to set up a WRITERS CHALLENGE section on the GR55 main page. It seems by leaving it in the current section as a post, it is likely to get buried  and forgotten somewhat quickly. This way it is easy to find. I was looking for this earlier and really had to hunt because I forgot what group it was in. Just a thought.

Actually, maybe in the VGUITAR CENTRAL section might be better with SUB CATEGORY'S "stickys", for the different processors. I forgot the GR55 is not the only synth used here.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

admin

We try it here for a while ( easier to locate)

If this takes off with many submissions, and more than the current

" GR-55 - Writer's Challenge May 2015: Drum Circle"

I can create separate categorized sub-forums for future Writer's Challenges

Mrchevy

Works for me. Thanks admsustainiac, This IS the best forum around, period. Now to just find the time to do the challenge  ;D
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

DreamTheory

Even if submissions are as few as anticipated, two or three examples of the same feature are more interesting as a group than just one person's take. Anyway, I better get cracking, since I posted the challenge!

Tek

I love the idea! I would be more inclined to post a submission if it were about anything other than the drum sounds, my weakest area  :P ...
Waiting for next months topic...

Elantric

QuoteI love the idea! I would be more inclined to post a submission if it were about anything other than the drum sounds, my weakest area  :P ...

Sadly i agree  - Playing Drums on the GR-55 is not too interesting for me.

shawnb

Quote from: Elantric on May 08, 2015, 08:37:41 AMSadly i agree  - Playing Drums on the GR-55 is not too interesting for me.

Yes, it is very difficult to do a "kit" on the GR-55.  Timing is very slightly erratic and doubled notes are a problem. 

But a challenge is a challenge! 

In the spirit of work-with-what-you-got, I wrote this piece "Earthquake" a while back.  It started off with the GR-55's Taiko.   I just love the sound - give it a lot of volume to appreciate the depth...  (Shaun of the Dead comes to mind...  "How much is a lot?"  "A lot...") 

I wanted every note to be triggered by guitar, & built a whole song up from the GR-55's Taiko.  3 of the 4 drumtracks were done on the GR-55 - Taiko, Big Drum & Std Kit.   I added one other track later using the FTP & SONAR's Session Drummer. 

"Earthquake" on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/sjrb-1/earthquake

This was posted here a while ago:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12432.msg90293#msg90293
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

maan108

Quote from: Tek on May 08, 2015, 06:59:17 AM
I love the idea! I would be more inclined to post a submission if it were about anything other than the drum sounds, my weakest area  :P ...
Waiting for next months topic...

...... me too !   However  much thank for the idea !

DreamTheory

OK so I got to work on this challenge- sheesh it was very difficult, not just because drums are the most temperamental PCM tones, but because the hidden drum sounds include a lot of "old school" R & B sounds. There is a gigantic hand clap, and several "scratch" and squishy sounds, horn hits... sounds endemic to a subgenre I never really liked. I loved funk in the days of The Brothers Johnson and Bootsy Collins, but got out of it in the days of Cameo and Run DMC. So I am old old school I guess, and don't know what to do with these sounds.

Also there is a cash register.

But I do have a submission which I will post soon

Elantric

QuoteAlso there is a cash register.

That exists for the Pink Floyd cover bands

DreamTheory

yes, how could i forget! but i did not find any grandfather clock tones in there.

anyway, i should ask(if anyone is still reading this thread) what would be an acceptable challenge? i've gt tons of ideas, but am interested in what others think. so an interim challenge is to brainstorm some challenge topics.

Tek

Quote from: shawnb on May 08, 2015, 09:28:37 AM
Yes, it is very difficult to do a "kit" on the GR-55.  Timing is very slightly erratic and doubled notes are a problem. 

In the spirit of work-with-what-you-got, I wrote this piece "Earthquake" a while back.  It started off with the GR-55's Taiko.   I just love the sound - give it a lot of volume to appreciate the depth...  (Shaun of the Dead comes to mind...  "How much is a lot?"  "A lot...") 

I wanted every note to be triggered by guitar, & built a whole song up from the GR-55's Taiko.  3 of the 4 drumtracks were done on the GR-55 - Taiko, Big Drum & Std Kit.   I added one other track later using the FTP & SONAR's Session Drummer. 

"Earthquake" on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/sjrb-1/earthquake

This was posted here a while ago:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12432.msg90293#msg90293

ShawnB, sounds cool! Nice groove... 8)

Mrchevy

Quote from: Dream_Theory on May 09, 2015, 08:59:46 AM
yes, how could i forget! but i did not find any grandfather clock tones in there.

anyway, i should ask(if anyone is still reading this thread) what would be an acceptable challenge? i've gt tons of ideas, but am interested in what others think. so an interim challenge is to brainstorm some challenge topics.

Well, we all know Roland doesn't seem to put a lot of work into factory presets.....How about picking 1 factory patch from each of the 3 ( LEAD, RHYTHM, OTHER) category's each month. This will cater to the different tastes in music and give a couple of more options to choose from. That way members don't have to wait till next month for something if they aren't interested in the one current challenge. I like this whole challenge thing but I must admit, I don't use the drums either due to reliability factors. However, using the GR55 drums could be left open to use freely in the challenges.

The Challenge :
1.  The factory patch Must be used.
2.  It can be modified but must retain at least 1 of the PCM tones in its original state.
3.  Drum/percussion tracks, if desired, may be used from any source (GR55, looper presets, EZDrummer or similar, a REAL drummer, etc.) In the recording.

I think if we put to many stipulations into the challenge it may affect creative freedom of which is what the challenge is all about. Any other thoughts to this approach are welcome.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

DreamTheory

Well here is a sampling of the hidden drum sounds recently discovered. This piece is just a very short demo of some of them. I tried to avoid the late '80's R & B slant of the sounds by playing a few doodles on sitar and nylon hybrid guitar in a middle eastern(?) scale (flat 2nd, raised 3rd). Anyone was intimidated by the thought of posting to this challenge thread should have no qualms after hearing this.

DreamTheory

Quote from: shawnb on May 08, 2015, 09:28:37 AM

In the spirit of work-with-what-you-got, I wrote this piece "Earthquake" a while back. 

Drumming on GR-55 is darn near impossible without DAW to build layers, delete bad triggers, and move hits around. DAW is totally allowed. The challenge is just to locate and try the hidden sounds.

Earthquake is really cool. It sort of tells a story; I was going through slow motion scenes of narrow escapes in a disaster movie.

Jim Williams

Triggering the drums are better if you alt tune to put the sounds on the higher strings. You can also use 2 sounds from 2 kits and mute strings that you don't use. I don't have any  offerings in this challenge but I just thought I'd give some advice for what has worked for me before.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

DreamTheory

Quote from: Mrchevy on May 09, 2015, 10:24:38 PM
Well, we all know Roland doesn't seem to put a lot of work into factory presets.....How about picking 1 factory patch from each of the 3 ( LEAD, RHYTHM, OTHER) category's each month. This will cater to the different tastes in music and give a couple of more options to choose from. That way members don't have to wait till next month for something if they aren't interested in the one current challenge. I like this whole challenge thing but I must admit, I don't use the drums either due to reliability factors. However, using the GR55 drums could be left open to use freely in the challenges.

The Challenge :
1.  The factory patch Must be used.
2.  It can be modified but must retain at least 1 of the PCM tones in its original state.
3.  Drum/percussion tracks, if desired, may be used from any source (GR55, looper presets, EZDrummer or similar, a REAL drummer, etc.) In the recording.

I think if we put to many stipulations into the challenge it may affect creative freedom of which is what the challenge is all about. Any other thoughts to this approach are welcome.

I like this because it gives three possible choices. The first challenge was far too limiting, more like an episode of "Chopped." Any patch you want to suggest for June?