Boss SY-300 Guitar Synth Videos

Started by Elantric, April 17, 2015, 09:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Seems many here would rather invest in one of these instead
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20210-builder-profile-klons-bill-finnegan

JolietJake

I agree with what is being said here, but since we know there is no guitar modeling etc on the SY-300 and all the you tube video sounds like they are from the 80's, perhaps someone could post an example of exactly what they would hope the SY-300 can do.

Orren Merton

Quote from: JolietJake on June 29, 2015, 03:03:28 PM
I agree with what is being said here, but since we know there is no guitar modeling etc on the SY-300 and all the you tube video sounds like they are from the 80's, perhaps someone could post an example of exactly what they would hope the SY-300 can do.

As far as technically, I was hoping for polyphony, not shredding.

But as far as sonically, I want to hear people taking it in new directions, not old ones. That's not so much a demand of this patch over that one, just playing something that isn't tired.

Orren

Will Robinson

Thanks for posting the videos as they surface.

At this point, unless I hear some stuff more like what Gundy Keller was doing and less like the 1980's I'm probably going to surrender to the urge to redirect my SY-300 funds to a copy of Omnisphere 2 and let the Fishman Triple Play be my key to making any guitar a synth guitar....

jassy

Quote from: Elantric on June 29, 2015, 02:08:39 PM
Boss SY-300 Factory Preset Run through

BOSS SY-300 GUITAR SYNTHESIZER SOUND TEST

CARVIN HH2X - BB Preamp - SY-300 - Peavey ENVOY110

Well I find it very thankful that someone takes the time to show us how sound all factory patches.
Its probably the most informative video to date and shows a fairly broad and interesting sound palette. There seems that we have a new instrument.
The only regret is that he did not take the direct sound by line to better hear the sound quality of every sound and avoiding the sound of the guitar.
Then the problem will be for each of us, as musicians, to take it to new territories.
With the potential that it has I am sure we'll hear some interesting things with this device.

thebrushwithin

QuoteAt this point, unless I hear some stuff more like what Gundy Keller was doing and less like the 1980's I'm probably going to surrender to the urge to redirect my SY-300 funds to a copy of Omnisphere 2 and let the Fishman Triple Play be my key to making any guitar a synth guitar

I'm afraid I have come to the same conclusion, as much as I really wanted to work with it in interesting non traditional approaches. In fact, because of an unforeseen shortage of funds, I went ahead and upgraded to Omnisphere 2.0, which is vastly superior, in every way except the ability to use a 1/4" input. However, the new upgrade allows you to import any audio source into Omnisphere, and that is too much to pass up. So, hopefully I'll be able to give the SY a whirl when better times come round.
Omnisphere is truly king in synthesis, and my FTP gives me everything I need to used it!

Kevin M

Just remember that Roland typically has some of the worst presets on the planet. Consider what you might be able to get out of it given its total feature-set, instead.

mbenigni

We won't really know what this thing is capable of until one of the talented programmers on this forum buys one and starts pushing boundaries.

In the meantime... it is pretty weird that so few of the demonstrators want to try interesting chord voicings etc.  Polyphony over a single 1/4" cable is the single most novel selling point the SY-300 brings to the table, and it's largely being ignored. It's like no one quite gets the point.  (I'll file this with my other unsolved mysteries, along with Line 6 demonstrating their newest modeler with one and only one amp model.)

Elantric

Many chords are played here ( all sounds are SY-300 - ( exception is drums)

go to 1:45min and 3:49, 4:35, 6:28

thebrushwithin

QuotePolyphony over a single 1/4" cable is the single most novel selling point the SY-300 brings to the table, and it's largely being ignored.

It seems like they have been more focused on showing the super low latency, as opposed to the polyphony.

mbenigni

QuoteIt seems like they have been more focused on showing the super low latency, as opposed to the polyphony.

True - hence all the shredding. 

Which - don't get me wrong - is also great!  The speed, and the idea of pitch bend truly working on a guitar synth, is very exciting.

mbenigni

QuoteMany chords are played here ( all sounds are SY-300 - ( exception is drums)

Impressive!

Will Robinson

Well the moment of truth has arrived. I got an emaii to tell me the SY-300's are on the way to them and asking me to verify I still wanted to order it.
So, after watching the demo videos again, I said yes. I need to feel that direct connection and truthfully quite a few of the presets in the 'Artist' packages are something I can either enjoy or build from so I'm all in.

Elantric

QuoteWell the moment of truth has arrived. I got an emaii to tell me the SY-300's are on the way to them and asking me to verify I still wanted to order it.
So, after watching the demo videos again, I said yes. I need to feel that direct connection and truthfully quite a few of the presets in the 'Artist' packages are something I can either enjoy or build from so I'm all in.

I'm also in the group of SY-300 early adopters myself  - glad they are shipping right on time

Orren Merton

Quote from: Elantric on June 30, 2015, 08:36:53 AM
I'm also in the group of SY-300 early adopters myself

I'm in the group of people listing my current home for sale this week, and when it sells, buying a new home within a few mile radius. I'm guessing that's a pretty small group.  ;) But it also means I'll be living vicariously through your experiences until I can unpack my studio in a new place, and then start adding to it again!

Orren

Elantric

Not the first time I've heard of folks buying gear on "contingency"

Myself - I'm closer to this

( Listen to Lyrics)

Thousand dollar car it ain't worth nothin'
Thousand dollar car it ain't worth sh**
Might as well take your thousand dollars and set fire to it
Thousand dollar car ain't worth a dime
You lose your thousand dollar every time
Oh why did I ever buy, a thousand dollar car

Thousand dollar car is gonna let you down
More than it's ever gonna get you around
Replace your gaskets and paint over your rust
You'll still end up with something that you'll never trust
Thousand dollar car's life was through
'Bought 50,000 miles 'fore it got to you

A thousand dollar car ain't even gonna roll
'Til you throw at least another thousand in the hole
Sink your money in it, and there you are
The owner of a two thousand dollar thousand dollar car

If you've only got a thousand dollars
You ought to just buy a good guitar
Learn how to play it it'll take you farther

Than any old thousand dollar car
If a thousand dollar car was truly worth a damn
Then why would anybody ever spend ten grand

Dark Barn

Quote from: Elantric on June 29, 2015, 02:39:22 PM

La grandissima novità nel mondo dei guitar synth - BOSS SY-300

Come mai SY300 è così innovativo? Perchè è il primo ed unico guitar synth a funzionare con il normale jack per chitarra!
Sentiamo come suona, con il mitico Tony Marrale!!!

Italians are weirder than I previously thought, or Roland Italy has some tight budget constraints.

Starting to get excited.

thebrushwithin

Major GAS attack!!! I just said screw it, and paid for it!! My vocal harmonizer setup is ready for the grand experiment!!!  :o

CodeSmart

...and now it's possible to go wireless with a guitar synth!!!!!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

aliensporebomb

And I woulda grabbed one too.  But my wife surprised me for my birthday and I guess I'm getting a new computer.  Oy!  It just came out, I have time!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

thebrushwithin

jassy

Two new videos:

This one shows the sy300 only at the end so I tried to post the video around this moment.

autodidactic

Just saw this video and thought people might be interested...

Noticed that at 12:28 he talks about the MIDI ports and apparently there is no mention of midi note output.
1965 Gibson J45
1979 Gibson ES347
90's Epiphone Joe Pass
80's Yamaha Classical
Bouzouki by Dekavalas

Elantric

QuoteNoticed that at 12:28 he talks about the MIDI ports and apparently there is no mention of midi note output.

Correct -No MIDI Note on/off messages with SY-300

all covered in our

Boss SY-300 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14600.0

Orren Merton

I generally enjoy Mitch's Guitars & Gear segments, and I really enjoyed this one! This is everything that those shredder videos isn't. I have a much better sense of the unit's capabilities now, and I'm pretty sure I'll get one.

Orren