GP-10 vs Kemper, who would have thought!!!!!

Started by Panthersn, December 06, 2014, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slooky

So can anybody tell me what is the difference between a Helix,Axe fx or Kemper vs say a Gp-10 or Gt-100? Is it because the amp sims are that much better? Effects that much better?

Elantric

The quality of the parts and level of DSP code execution, and number of FX and routing and support for third party Speaker Cab Impulse Response wave file loading ( a.k.a. Cab IR) 
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Working_Guitarist_All_About_Impulse_Responses

and external controls and ports explain the cost differences (you do get what you pay for)

add the expectations of the user( due to prior experience and needs of the individual)

Each of those units you mention have threads here with user experiences and several Youtube users have detailed videos comparing each 

alexmcginness

Quote from: slooky on August 17, 2017, 05:50:47 AM
So can anybody tell me what is the difference between a Helix,Axe fx or Kemper vs say a Gp-10 or Gt-100? Is it because the amp sims are that much better? Effects that much better?

All of those are fine bits of kit. IMO it all boils down to how good you are at programming the things and your playing. Elantric doesnt care too much for the Avid 11 rack. Again it boils down to how you use the tool. Heres a demo of the 11 rack playing a Jim Hendrix tune. I was blown away by it as Im VERY familiar with that particular tune and I was hard pressed at first as to wether it was the first take from the first show at the Filmore. So, pick what you can work with and work the bee jeepers out of it. All of the amp sim boxes are more than close emough to the real thing now. It just boils dow to what particualr version of reality strikes your fancy and fulfills your needs. Theres also a demo of All Right Now here on the forum, using the VG 99 that I played for my tone freak friends. When I tell them that the guitar isnt the guy in Free but one of our members on a VG 99 most of them are stunned cause theyve swallowed the myth that digital isnt as good as tubes and analog Fx. So heres the hendrix demo on the Avid 11.

https://soundcloud.com/angel-reca/machine-gun-demo-mix-8-4-2015
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

RockInProgress

Quote from: Panthersn on December 06, 2014, 08:16:34 PM
Well guys I'm dumbfounded, shocked & impressed all at the same time.  I picked up my GP-10 three weeks ago and bought some custom patches.  Today I received my Kemper Rackmount unit.  I have spent the last 5 hours going thru many of its presets and also downloading user rigs from the Kemper forum, to be honest I believe the tones I'm getting from the GP-10 are just as good if not better.  One tone in particular, the Soldano.  On the GP-10 it is set up as a lead patch, GK-3 is set to TE Front, FX set to Natural OD with delay and chorus.  I can't find one on the Kemper that sounds as good!!!

This unit is a keeper for sure!!!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Very interesting! i have the GP-10 for a year+ and I like it, but I feel unsatisfied with the tone... and was thinking about getting the Kemper stage profiler.
You mentioned buying some custom patches for the GP-10, which you bought and where?

aliensporebomb

He's talking about Glenn DeLaune's patches which sound good to me too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCEVwEAl5Y&feature=youtu.be

So, now that the SY-1000 is out how does that fare vs. GP-10 vs. Kemper etc?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

thebrushwithin

Sold my GP 10, bought SY1000 for the guitar modeling to send to my Kemper. Just purchased a second Kemper. My feelings are that the SY and KPA compliment each other. Send the modeled guitar from the SY to the KPA input and run the other 3 instruments of the SY to a mixer = massive sound combo.

Smash

Those GP10 patches just sound dynamically flat - sit in mix well, great for generic covers bands but they have no life - very processed sounding, I dunno, polite or restrained I guess.

The Kemper is a world apart in terms of reality and feel - both in terms of sound and how it feels to play. It just has that ompf factor. So much richer, more girth.

For me anyway. Even just playing Bias FX2 on ios- going back to last generation Roland modelling it's just "Aw man - eugh!".

Unrelated but the Tri chorus on Bias is to die for...

bosetuno

There is something that happenes to me often.
I use to get used to a particular sound/feel on a particular device. Once I get used to it I feel other devices or even parches sounds bad in comparison. I use to get tied to that sound for 2-3 weeks, and at some point I begin to feel uncomfortable with it until I don't like it any more. Then I start to look for another sound with another guitar/device/patch/amp, or whatever until I get myself tied to a new one and everything start again. I know in reality that most of it has to do with -lack of- study/practice, but I've learnt to deal with it this way... I've been married with my boss gp10, line 6 xt live, guitar rig (I think it's hiwatt model is wonderful), ik multimedia amps,
Even I had a short marriage with my old boss gt5 a couple of years ago. Also my old trusted boss GT3, yamaha magicstomp/dgpreamp (somehow still on it and one of the longest), lexicon mpxg2, Hughes and kettner cream machine, and several tube amps over the years.

Having said that, I once bought a kemper, and I returned it to the shop. I think its a good device, with good and not so good sounds on it. But I didn't feel it was such an improvement over other modellers. For sure I would have found a great sound to live my 2 weeks marriage with it, but I felt I would be happier with other preamps and modellers at the time. Actually I didn't like it's approach. I like modellers that model the behaviour of the amp in different settings, i.e. the eq section in a real amp behaves different on different master levels, and the kemper, footprints the tonestack and distortion characteristics and apply the same eq to all patches. Even the way it cleans the sound when lowering the gain is quite unique to it. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the approach I enjoy the most.

On the gp10 and vg99 I felt the amps sounded ok (although harsh). But at some point during my 2 week marriage I realize there was (bad) distortion on the attack of the notes. I tend to pluck hard, but I got this feeling only with Roland devices. The sy1000 has been a real improvement in that respect over the gp10.  I might be in my 2 weeks marriage with it now, so I might change my mind in the near future.

Anyway, my point is that I've been in love with a lot of different devices, and I got sick of them at some point to felt in love again past some time. Maybe I should go to a marriage counselor...

Trust your ears. It is more important to get comfortable with a device and its feel than to get the "best" newest device that will "improve" you.
I.e. some time ago I got an helix stomp to update my old trusted magicstomp. Well, it's actually a real improvement, however I still prefer the magicstomp, I'm used to it. The helix is still a nice device to have. Kind of a Swiss knife.

Anyway, if something works for you, congrats, enjoy your marriage. I only hope you get longer marriages than I do

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Smash on June 04, 2020, 03:33:37 PM
Those GP10 patches just sound dynamically flat - sit in mix well, great for generic covers bands but they have no life - very processed sounding, I dunno, polite or restrained I guess.

The Kemper is a world apart in terms of reality and feel - both in terms of sound and how it feels to play. It just has that ompf factor. So much richer, more girth.

For me anyway. Even just playing Bias FX2 on ios- going back to last generation Roland modelling it's just "Aw man - eugh!".

Unrelated but the Tri chorus on Bias is to die for...

Can I hear some recordings of this?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

RockInProgress

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 04, 2020, 06:17:06 AM
He's talking about Glenn DeLaune's patches which sound good to me too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCEVwEAl5Y&feature=youtu.be

So, now that the SY-1000 is out how does that fare vs. GP-10 vs. Kemper etc?

Oh I bought Glen's patches too and was very much disappointed...
They sound blunt and lifeless, too much low freq and lack of high freq and spice...