Godin Freeway SA

Started by foolevil, October 14, 2008, 06:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenact

Quote from: gambaplancha on September 17, 2016, 05:10:28 AM
Hi guys,

Really good info about the Freeway SA's ghost/hexpander system. Mine did not come with a tremolo arm (bought it 2nd hand) and was wondering if anybody could please advise about the tremolo (and possibly measures) I should use. I've tried 2-3 tremolos I had at home and some were too narrow/wide to fit in the whammy bar cavity/hole.

Any help is really appreciated!

THanks!

Try contacting Godin, with the serial number of the guitar, so they can date it and get you the right trem arm.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

scribble58

I can tell you my experience was that I lost my tremolo arm, and I emailed Godin asking them how much to replace, and they sent me out another tremolo arm for my Freeway SA, free of charge.

EVH Wolfgang
Yamaha PAC402 Tele
Yamaha RGX2
Line 6 POD GO
Fishman TriplePlay (Windows Laptop)
Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR 2
NI Rig Kontrol 3 for Audio Interface/patch Switching
Boss Katana 100 v1 - GA-FC

Rhcole

They did the same thing for me when I had an LGXT! Great service.

Yohanes

Quote from: gambaplancha on September 17, 2016, 05:10:28 AM
Hi guys,

Really good info about the Freeway SA's ghost/hexpander system. Mine did not come with a tremolo arm (bought it 2nd hand) and was wondering if anybody could please advise about the tremolo (and possibly measures) I should use. I've tried 2-3 tremolos I had at home and some were too narrow/wide to fit in the whammy bar cavity/hole.

Any help is really appreciated!

THanks!

AFAIK, any threaded tremolo arm should fit.
Here the pic of mine, hopefully can help.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

Elantric

QuoteAFAIK, any threaded tremolo arm should fit.

I own several "threaded Strat tremolo arms - but not all will work with the Godin.

Its best to contact Godin directly for the correct tremolo arm for Freeway SA

gumbo

From what I understand, there are at least three different thread types on Strat tremolo arms....

..and then there is the 'plug-in' model....
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

and others have the thread on the inside on the bar (Line-6 JTV-69 )

LJS

Hi All,

I've been gigging with a Godin LGXT for the last couple years and have been loving every minute of it. I play rhythm guitar so the versatility comes in really handy. I play the acoustic voice on about half of our songs. And I love it when I get the chance to add some synth to the mix.

So once you have a Godin LGXT there aren't too many other guitars to dream about. I was longing to play a strat, but there was nothing available with an acoustic voice, until I saw a schematic on the Graph Tech site about adding the Acousti-Phonic pre-amp to a Godin Freeway SA. So I bought a used 2014 Freeway SA on Ebay. It sounded like the deal of the century, but came in rough condition. So I decided to do a full makeover.

First I added two Seymour Duncan triple shots and two P Rail humbucker/single coil/P90 pickups. This would give me more magnetic options than my LGXT. I like vintage single coil tones, so I put a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 RWRP vintage single coil in the middle position. I also added the Graph Tech Acousti-Phonic pre-amp to get the acoustic voice. And I added two Alps concentric pots for volume and tone on the mag and acoustic pickups. Finally I added six tall Sperzel locking tuners due to the thick headstock. I ended up with a guitar that could match the LGXT feature for feature.

The result? It's different than my LGXT. Not as bright sounding. But it does have a wider variety of magnetic tones. And it has quack and twang similar to a Strat that I can't get from my LGXT. I haven't been able to put it down since I finished it. It's fascinating to compare the tones with all of my other guitars. In my opinion, the LGXT is livelier. But the Freeway does do some things better. There're both super fun to play and can handle any song I can throw at them. Very happy with the results.

Edit: I thought the Freeway was not as lively as the LGXT, but the secret was to dial up the treble on my 68 Custom Twin Reverb Reissue to 8. Once I did that the Freeway came alive and I really haven't played my LGXT since. The Freeway gives me that Strat quack with the pickup selector in the 2 and 4 positions for songs like Play That Funky Music and Sultans, and the single coil bridge tone on 867-5309 is spot on (never could get it right with the LGXT). I've got four gigs on it now and it's my new favorite. But I'm sure I'll eventually circle back to the LGXT to apply what I've learned using the Freeway. Very nice to have these two awesome Godin guitars to change things up and keep things interesting.

LJS

Here's a pic of my Triple Shot/P Rail/Acousti-Phonic equipped Freeway SA along side my LGXT.