FLUX:FX by Adrian Belew

Started by cell7, June 30, 2014, 03:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 17, 2014, 12:23:03 PM
Well, my silence had everything to do with available time, and nothing to do with any deficiency in the app.  I actually thought the early tester version was super cool, so, WOW, can't wait to check out the release version!!

I can pretty much second that - on both counts.  The app made a positive impression right out of the gates.  The only thing that knocked the wind out my sails early on was limited AudioBus/ IAA support.  I really wanted to run Bias into Flux:FX and this wasn't supported at first.  By the time that got sorted out, I was swamped with unrelated projects.  I've got some time off for Christmas, though, and this is one of the things I'm looking forward to digging into.

BackDAWman

I'll definitely get a copy of this when I can get to my iPad. Bias through Flux sounds like a great idea!!

cell7

BIAS into FLUX:FX is awesome .... this is basically the reason we didnt go further with speaker sims etc.
BIAS is so good at that, no point in us trying to do the same. Instead we went for sound-design studio-style effects, but with plenty of more abstract drives like the static fuzzes.

Elantric

Re Flux:FX -

Thank you for including remote Control via MIDI !

This crucial

cell7

:) - Yes and its fast... no gaps!
We really are pushing the devices a bit because things like latency and patch-switching gaps were simple not acceptable to Adrian. Just as warning, iPad 2s and 3s are not really ideal unless you only want 1 or 2 effects.

Bear

Thing looks deeper than the deepest effects apps I've seen elsewhere on iOS, and by a good measure.

I'd love a code if any are left. 

cell7

Sorry Bear - all gone :(

But yes. its deep...

Just uploaded a vid of Adrian messing around with it at my place while we were testing :P

Bear

Sadly, then, you'll just have to take my money.  Man, that could kill off a broad spectrum of my effects GAS for the next year.  (Looking for 25%-off iTunes cards as soon as I submit this.)

supernicd

One of the things I like most about Flux:FX is that despite that it is very deep, you really don't feel overwhelmed by that.  The UI was definitely built for touch.  Everything is easy to get to within just a gesture or two, the layout is intuitive, and the controls are set up such that you can dial in parameters with very granular precision. 

There are actually quite a few deep iOS music apps these days.  Few do as nice a job as was done here with bringing that complexity into an easy to use touch interface that looks and feels intuitive and fun rather than complicated.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

cell7

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 17, 2014, 05:46:12 PM
One of the things I like most about Flux:FX is that despite that it is very deep, you really don't feel overwhelmed by that.  The UI was definitely built for touch.  Everything is easy to get to within just a gesture or two, the layout is intuitive, and the controls are set up such that you can dial in parameters with very granular precision. 

There are actually quite a few deep iOS music apps these days.  Few do as nice a job as was done here with bringing that complexity into an easy to use touch interface that looks and feels intuitive and fun rather than complicated.

Aww shucks - thanks mate!
That was entirely our intention... no fake pedal graphics or tiny dials - we wanted something that was authentic to the touchscreen.

mbenigni

QuoteJust uploaded a vid of Adrian messing around with it at my place while we were testing :P

I love what's going on with the volume swells at about 1:17!  Which effect (or patch?) is that?

Also, to clarify:  now that the apps out of beta, do I need to delete my beta installation and pay for the commercial release, or can I keep plugging away with the beta as installed?  (Yes, I am a cheap bastard...  ::) )

cell7

Thats a heavy compression into splutter fuzz, into the tape echo with the tape deviation up fairly high, i think then into the scatter verb... not sure if we saved it as a preset but its certainly reproducible.

re: the beta, you can keep the old version as long as you want :) its not as stable as the final version and probably missing a few performance benefits and extras.

BackDAWman

I bought a copy. Love it!!

On the iPad Air 2 there is plenty of grunt to run Bias into Flux:FX. I lost hours playing around with it....so much fun!

cell7

Fantastic! Would love to hear some of what you are doing.

You can also share banks via iTunes... we didnt really make a big deal of this feature yet but we are hoping to set it up so that people start distributing preset performances [similar to kemper etc].

mbenigni

Quote from: cell7 on December 18, 2014, 04:27:21 PM
Thats a heavy compression into splutter fuzz, into the tape echo with the tape deviation up fairly high, i think then into the scatter verb... not sure if we saved it as a preset but its certainly reproducible.

re: the beta, you can keep the old version as long as you want :) its not as stable as the final version and probably missing a few performance benefits and extras.

Thanks for the information!  If I get to where this app is a staple in my signal chain, I'll be sure to pick up a retail copy as an act of good faith.  But I appreciate the opportunity to test a bit further first.  So many options, so little time...

cell7

FLUX:FX v1.0.1 - now live! If you haven't yet, take advantage of the 25% price reduction and grab the app now [on sale until end of today].

http://bit.ly/flux_fx

This version is all about little tweaks, bug fixes, robustness and performance optimisation.
Slight tweaks in:
- Delays, including Pitch Delay
- Sample Scratch & Looper-based FX
- Reverb, pre-filtering to avoid flooding, now bypassed with FX bypass
- FX slots optimised

UI adjustments:
- Pump description updated
- White labels for Latency / Audio in background settings
- Added CPU warning label under latency
- Added app video preview
Optimisations have been made in:
- Launch speed
- Slightly smoother preset changing
- Sequencer grid graphical rendering
- General graphical rendering
- Memory management
- Launch sound removed

These are not major changes, but hopefully they will add to the enjoyment and usage of the app by fixing some of the little quirks. We are also working on a v1.1 which will include some additional small feature improvements [such as a slightly extended MIDI spec] and a couple of sexy new features. Stay tuned for more details!

http://youtu.be/3c4UoujvXJM?list=PLL3xwGQ6wxyadOwBB4uuTkQBn6DUJnJ7M

cell7

FYI - sorry for reopening an old thread - but this might be of interest to some v-guitarists: 20% discount on KMI SoftStep controllers for all FLUX:FX users.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15163.0

Elantric

FLUX:FX  User Guide
http://flux.noii.se/manual/

Adrian's own special performance FLUX:FX preset for KMI SoftStep II is here:

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/projects/fluxfx-softstep-preset/

FLUX:FX Review in S.O.S.
http://flux.noii.se/the-complete-sos-magazine-fluxfx-review/

cell7

At the risk of again re-opening an old topic... but with fresh news - 'FLUX:FX play' has been announced, available for iPhone and iPod Touch.

"Designed in conjunction with acclaimed musician Adrian Belew, 'FLUX:FX play' is a professional multi-effect processor app for the iPhone and iPod that lets you 'play' your effects. Built on the same award-winning audio platform as the master iPad app, 'FLUX:FX play' is perfect for creative musicians and sound designers to manipulate an audio signal into something entirely new, both in the studio or on stage. Guitar, vocals, bass, synth, drums, DJ setup, violin... basically ANY instrument or sound source can be processed in real-time by 'FLUX:FX play'.

Important note, PLEASE READ: the main difference between 'FLUX:FX' and 'FLUX:FX play' is that the iPhone version does not contain the full deep editing features for the effects and sequencer. It CAN however share the exact same performance presets, and so you can in fact create custom presets on your iPad version and import them into 'FLUX:FX play' via Dropbox. This app is compatible with iPhone 5s, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus and iPod Touch 6."
The manual is here: bit.ly/FLUXFXplay

And in other news, we are holding a party in Berlin to celebrate the Red Dot award and to launch 'FLUX:FX play'. Register here if you are interested in coming along to share a drink and chat about music tech! http://bit.ly/flux_berlin

admin

And dont confuse any of the above with the separate  "Flux Adrian Below - never-same-twice"  Music Player app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flux-by-belew-never-same-twice/id906354039?l=nl&ls=1&mt=8

cell7

Yes - good point - 'FLUX by belew' is his album app, 'FLUX:FX' and 'FLUX:FX play' are the multi-effect apps.

Chumly

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 18, 2014, 04:36:08 PM
I bought a copy. Love it!!

On the iPad Air 2 there is plenty of grunt to run Bias into Flux:FX. I lost hours playing around with it....so much fun!
I've just done the same with the same hardware, I've not noodled with it yet though.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Headless68

I moved away from ipad just as Flux FX launched and only just got another ipad, so a little late to this party, but WHAT A PARTY :-) 

This app is awesome - out of the box creating lots of new sonic avenues
I like how the sequencer windows acts as mini presets when the sequencer is stopped - hours of fun

I think I'm going to burn quite a few happy hours playing with this

Headless

admin

you can easily get lost in the endless sonic creation / mayhem using FLUX:FX as an inter App Audio plug in either BIAS FX or Yonac Tonestack

cell7

Guys - would love it if you feel inclined to share some pics, audio or video of the FLUX:FX app integrated in your setup... we will post, share like etc etc :)
Really interested to see what noises you are making with our baby!

https://soundcloud.com/noiiseaudio