A non-ugly amp?

Started by pycraft, January 10, 2014, 09:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pycraft

I've finally taken the plunge and bought one of the last ex-demo VG99s in the UK.  Whilst waiting for it to arrive (ordered at the same time as an RC300 which ironically they don't keep in stock) I thought I'd start moving on to the rest of the rig.

For the last couple of years I've been tuning in 5ths, low E to high Eb.  That's "low E" as in bass guitar low E.  Up to now that's been on headphones (and 85-gauge strings) but my midlife crisis GAS should extend to an amp.

I've of course trawled this forum many times over the months I've been contemplating this purchase.  I get that the ideal is the keyboard amp or PA.  But as a long-time guitar player (and hence vain)... why are they all so ugly?  Guitar amps are beautiful things of tolex and tweed, with piping and all sorts, whereas keyboard amps are, I guess, about as fun to look at as synths.  Look at Traynor's website - the YCV in wine red is stunning. Same goes for almost all of their guitar amps.  So why were their keyboard amps hit with the ugly stick? And if nothing else, the mrs will need to be happy when this is sitting in the living room at home (I don't gig much, and never with a drummer). Any suggestions? Would a bass amp work? (e.g. the Ashdown Five 15 claims a 3dB bandwidth from 22Hz-28kHz, which sounds like a flat response, and looks quite good).

So, good looks and the ability to handle a significant bottom end.  Not me, you fool - the amp!

Elantric

QuoteFor the last couple of years I've been tuning in 5ths, low E to high Eb.  That's "low E" as in bass guitar low E.  Up to now that's been on headphones (and 85-gauge strings) but my midlife crisis GAS should extend to an amp.

I hate to break the news - but there is a finite frequency range the VG-99 will operate with, and your low tuning will fall outside the usable range of the VG-99. Folks with Baritone guitars which typically have low E down to Low B represent the lower usable limit of the Roland brickwall input filters. So please report your VG-99 experience with your ultra low tuning.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

QuoteAny suggestions? Would a bass amp work? (e.g. the Ashdown Five 15 claims a 3dB bandwidth from 22Hz-28kHz, which sounds like a flat response, and looks quite good).

Try before you buy - but yes - many modern Bass Amps with tweeters offer wide frequency response suitable for VG-99, - although some exhibit drops in the midrange area  - so use what sounds best to you.

When I tested several Bass Amps 10 years ago, the old Dave Eden amps sounded best with flat response to my ears (latest solid state Ampeg the worst btw)    - but i understand that quality has dropped off bigtime since they were sold off to the Korg / Marshall conglomerate in 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Electronics

A good test is bring your  iPod and play back some of your favorite pre-recorded music you know  well - and see how that translates on the Bass Amp (or ANY AMP) under review.

More info here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.msg68273#msg68273

pycraft

S'okay - am planning to leave the guitar in standard tuning and "retune" on the VG-99.  I assume this will work?  That way, I can get a trem back - using bass strings with huge ball ends kinda limits things to Tune-o-Matics. And before going straight-5ths I used to play straight-4ths, and I'm looking forward to be able to switch between them.

Odd that Roland should need to have done this, though...

Elantric

QuoteS'okay - am planning to leave the guitar in standard tuning and "retune" on the VG-99.  I assume this will work?  T

Oh - thats VERY different - and VG-99 should work OK

datsunrobbie

I'm a big fan of the ZT Lunchbox. It may suit your needs as primarily a living room amp that is able to play small gigs. I've used it at open mic nights with my GR-55 and it holds up well even with a live drummer. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this amp is so small you can easily keep it out of sight if the visual appeal is not there.

Elantric

QuoteI'm a big fan of the ZT Lunchbox. It may suit your needs as primarily a living room amp that is able to play small gigs. I've used it at open mic nights with my GR-55 and it holds up well even with a live drummer. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this amp is so small you can easily keep it out of sight if the visual appeal is not there.

Its nice - but I would not recommend it for Bass  / Baritone guitar

pycraft

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2014, 09:10:21 AM

A good test is bring your  iPod and play back some of your favorite pre-recorded music you know  well - and see how that translates on the Bass Amp (or ANY AMP) under review.

Hadn't thought of that as a potential route - wonder how loud this is?

http://www.marshallheadphones.com/speakers/hanwell/hanwell-green

So small that the VG99 won't fit on the top without peeking over! (Ironically, the smaller version actually has a digital in)

Elantric

pycraft

I realise this is a bit of a zombie thread, but a question was asked and I've never forgotten that it deserves to be answered.

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2014, 09:10:21 AM
I hate to break the news - but there is a finite frequency range the VG-99 will operate with, and your low tuning will fall outside the usable range of the VG-99. Folks with Baritone guitars which typically have low E down to Low B represent the lower usable limit of the Roland brickwall input filters. So please report your VG-99 experience with your ultra low tuning.   

I was getting somewhere with this... and then 18 months of real life got in the way.  However, I've recently had the opportunity to try waggling a GK3 into my 5ths-tuned 7-string (C,G,D,A,E,B,F#).  It struggles with the low C (given this is the C below bass guitar E this is unsurprising), but copes very well with the low G.  Some of the more "out there" sounds don't work terribly well and I haven't tried it with MIDI output, but on a straightforward guitar setting it does just fine. 

Having listened to what's going on on the lowest string, my guess is that the filters do knock out the fundamental, but there is still enough signal in the harmonics (especially on a string that thick - a 0.105) to get somethign useful out.  I have noticed the thick strings are a lot louder, right up the neck. But to restate, it does seemto hn;e down to low G, possibly even down to F#.