GK-3 - 12 holes or 6 holes on Divided PU.

Started by marcelcarvalho, July 09, 2012, 09:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcelcarvalho

I got 2 GK3 that are diferents: the module which has the knob and the S1 S2 switches is pretty much the same, however the divided pickup itself (only the stick module that has the yokes on it) is diferent, the first one has bigger yokes (just like this one http://en.audiofanzine.com/utilities/a.provider,m.150748,mod.media,down.true,th.normal,s.pictures.JPG) than the other one which is very similar with the GK2's yokes but it has the adjustment screw (GK2 doesn't). As i bought it used, is it a modified GK3 or has Roland released two version of it?

The smaller version:

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/xl/1600-GK3_setup.jpg

Elantric

Quotethan the other one which is very similar with the GK2's yokes

Post a pic on the smaller version pickup?

Its possible you have a used GK-3 where someone substituted the PU from the Internal GK-KIT-GT-3 hex pickup.

Its a simple swap.

I understand the "internal kit" type GK-3 PU  (from the GK-KIT-GT-3) is a bit narrower than the normal external GK-3 hex PU.

marcelcarvalho

Elantric

Looks just like my external GK-3 to me.

Here's mine

Elantric

Thats the same GK-3 pickup, but mounted to the included additional Mounting bracket for Gibson type guitars

More details here:
http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/howto_lp.html

marcelcarvalho

No it isn't take a closer look on the Yokes!

Elantric

That Les Paul with GK-3 pic makes it appear the GK-3 PU has 12 unique square holes for the pickup pole pieces.

I do recall that some GK-3 pickups are like that  - see here:

Might scan the pages of actual Users pictures of GK-3 PU installations to find a duplicate to the Les Paul pic here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.0

GK-3 with Six Hole Yoke

GK-3 with Twelve Hole Yoke

Yes -the GK-3 with twelve hole Yoke version is not as tall as the 6 hole yoke version (its 0.6mm lower height) - might help those with tight clearances.

marcelcarvalho

Ok, here it is:

1) My Ibanez AF-207 - GK-3 with the Twelve Hole Yoke:

marcelcarvalho

2) My Fender - GK-3 with the Six Hole Yoke:

marcelcarvalho

And a closer shot:

gumtown

FYI: Here are some GK pickups I have

TOP:  A GK-2A type - narrower pole pieces and no curvature adjustment.

MIDDLE: A GK-3 type - your usual external mount GK.

BOTTOM: A GK-KIT internal mount type - notice the wiring exits the back instead of the side.
A regular GK-3 pickup has the solder points and holes to change to back wiring.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Autana

Good info as usual!  thanks. Always caught my attention such GK-3 differences, wondering have the same specifications, sensibility, impedance, magnets, windings? and, as already I read hex pu's including GK have an awful tone (by themselves or compared to piezos) but could exist any difference in color or tone between this  GK-3 variations?  maybe I try a test when possible.   

In the photos:  I have three GK-3, two installed and one spare. the newest (6 months), which comes bundled with my black GR-55 is mounted in a PRS BM. An older unit, almost 9 years, included with my GI-20 and mounted in a Godin xtSA, and a spare GK-3 that came with my first GR-55 almost 5 years ago, and similar to the newest. 
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

alexmcginness

Heres something I just noticed. I have several guitars with GK-3s on them but one is different. The pole pieces on one have noticeably stronger magnetic pull and they have a different cover. This one has just the bars coming thru the cover and the others have a full square hole to allow the whole magnet to come thru.
Heres a pic of the odd one. I dont know what year this one was purchased. Anyone else noticed this? This one has very strong magnets. I did the paint job on it.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

the magnets on the 12 hole ones are much stronger than the 6 hole version. When Im using the spacer tool on the 12 hole one the magnets really grab it. Not near the grip on the 6 hole one
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

Good to know - because with a Floyd Tremolo with GK-3 12 hole version.  during any dive bombs, most of the strings stop ringing as they typically go "THUD"  as they all stick to the GK-3 magnets mid trem bar travel - cant play "Where were you" by Jeff Beck , or Eruption by EVH

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on December 03, 2016, 04:34:06 PM
Good to know - because with a Floyd Tremolo with GK-3 12 hole version.  during any dive bombs, most of the strings stop ringing as they typically go "THUD"  as they all stick to the GK-3 magnets mid trem bar travel - cant play "Where were you" by Jeff Beck , or Eruption by EVH

Ah ha! Time for..." Virtual Jeff"